What's your motivation for losing weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• debbiesweety
    Options
    My motivation was seeing how bad I looked in a picture with my nephew. I am 6ft2 and extra weight makes me feel uncomfortable with myself and well HUGE!

I never want to go back to the place I was when I hit and passed my goal weight before: I was absolutely too thin, but when I looked in the mirror I still saw fat. Im treating my body nicely this time round.

I am doing this because I want to look good, and rock all sorts of bikini's and costumes and sexy clothes!
    AND I want to get to a ripe old age feeling healthy, without the added genetic health risks, and I just wanna be a rocking grandma! lol.

I'm 6ft , I'm so happy to see another tall female here! (I assume anyway, you mention bikini)
  • ncsubeachgirl
    ncsubeachgirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The bikini that is hidden away in my closet is my motivation! One day! Hopefully this summer!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I lost my motivation......I had almost 90 lbs. off....I have totally gone off track this past winter, and cant' see to get back 100%.....I have gained around 15 lbs. over the winter months so far, and I can't seem to get it back off yet. I blame it on the weather...I blame it on this or that...I need to stop finding excuses and get my butt in gear and get back to where I was last summer.....Soon.....I feel and look awful...to me....I don't like this person I have become. I will get there....I just need something to click once again and to get me motivated to get back on the wagon for good.....
  • MissSethra
    MissSethra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hitting 200 on the scale was it for me. ( I know that isn't a whole lot but knowing at one point my mother was near 400lbs, it was an eye opener for me and I was afraid of gaining even more through the years.) I knew I had gained weight a little here and there, over the past 10 years, but kind of put it out of mind, rarely have my pic taken and don't look in mirrors. Occasionally would get on scale 170, 180, 185, 190-this one i tried to tell myself was a fluke, I would think, eh not that much over could drop it pretty quick. Well not so easy in my 40's it seems as in my 20's and early 30's could drop without much effort, lol. But getting there now, trying to do it right this time too. And honestly about the same time I found out I was 200lbs I had found this fantastic pair of boots online, I HAD to have them!, looking at specs, calve size 15 inches...mine were 15.5 on a good day. Told myself I HAVE to loose weight, not just for the boots, that is a nice bonus, but for health and feeling better about myself. If I am healthier and happier in my own skin I will surely be able to be a better person, wife and mother. It will be a win all around.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Gaining 51lbs in my second pregnancy and being the heaviest I have ever been. Then after having my daughter I thought I had lost it all until I stepped on the scale and realized I had gained majority of it back and was a pound heavier than my husband.
  • thetimenexyear
    Options
    I've done this for too many years off and on. When I was fit in I never took a picture. When life happened I gained 100 lbs from stress and starvation stress. I want to have a picture of myself on stage at a bodybuilding competition for proof this time at least.
  • Swehl
    Swehl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wanting to start a family with my husband is my motivation :) The moment I realized that I might be tipping the scale at 200 lbs while pregnant and under 5 ft tall scared me straight!! My starting weight was 160lbs, and now I'm at 129 :) My doctor recommends I weigh 115 before trying to become pregnant. Almost there!!!
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have many motivators. On a fully medical level, I run a risk for Type II Diabetes due to having had Gestational Diabetes (with both of my kids). I need to keep weight in check. On a vanity level, I bought a really cute pair pair a pants last summer that fit when I paid for them, but not by the time I went to wear them. I want to wear them this year. It will only take about 5 lbs,, but darn those lbs are stubborn. Add to that, I'd like for those pants be loose rather than just fit, so at least 10lbs are in order. Vanity is winning here. :tongue: Periphery motivators are the thin women in my office, that little black (winter) dress with the tags still on from 6 yrs ago, more energy, not feeling like a need a shroud over my bathing suit...
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I had always been fairly slim but I gained about 20 pounds when I hit 50. For the next 15 years I battled it but I had this problem with motivation. One January, I had started a diet and was trying to motivate myself by reading lots of Fitness and Shape magazines. I was taking them out of our local library. Every few days I would return the pile I had and get a new stack. One day the curious librarian asked me about my recently acquired reading habits. I told her I was looking for inspiration and motivation. I was about 58 at the time. She looked down at the models on the pile of magazines I was checking out and said, "I hate to break it to you, honey, but you're never going to look like this."
    And that was the problem. At my heaviest I barely made it into the overweight zone on the BMI indexes. Being narrow shouldered and flat chested I didn't carry the pounds well but still, who would be likely to care? A bikini body was not something I could realistically aspire to. And I was a very fit fat person. My blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol etc. were all great, probably because for most of my life I have walked 6-8 miles a day.
    And that is where I found my motivation. In the spring and summer of 2012 I started having problems with my right knee. I did a 6 day walking tour of the Cornwall coast in England and paid for it. When I got back I went to my doctor who sent me for X-rays. It was your usual garden variety osteo-arthritis...pretty standard for a 68 year old. Not too far advanced but she put me on a wait list to see an orthopaedic surgeon. (I am Canadian. This was not an emergency so yes there was a wait.) My husband and several friends have had joint replacements. It wasn't keen on joining their ranks. Maybe if I lost weight and did some weight training aimed at building up the muscles around my knees? Would that work?

I tried it, and it did. 20 pounds off me has meant 80 pounds off that knee. We are both much happier for it. I never got to meet the orthopaedic surgeon. I was able to call and cancel that appointment.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I was 2 lbs over my heaviest pregnancy weight and I could not take pictures without wanting to burn them. The real wake up call was when I realized my unhealthy habits were transferring to my children. Whenever I asked them what they wanted to eat they told me Cheeseburgers or hotdogs. My great eaters were starting to be picky unhealthy eaters. Thats when I knew that I had to act not just for me but for them too.

This. All of this.

I want active, healthy kids who eat their fruits and veggies. They need a mom that can run and play with them.

I actually ran and hid from cameras last year at christmas. I'm in maybe 5 pictures total from all of the celebrations and get togethers.
  • Turntec22
    Options
    Kids. I hated a pic of me at my daughters baptism. I want to be there for my three girls
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had always been fairly slim but I gained about 20 pounds when I hit 50. For the next 15 years I battled it but I had this problem with motivation. One January, I had started a diet and was trying to motivate myself by reading lots of Fitness and Shape magazines. I was taking them out of our local library. Every few days I would return the pile I had and get a new stack. One day the curious librarian asked me about my recently acquired reading habits. I told her I was looking for inspiration and motivation. I was about 58 at the time. She looked down at the models on the pile of magazines I was checking out and said, "I hate to break it to you, honey, but you're never going to look like this."
    And that was the problem. At my heaviest I barely made it into the overweight zone on the BMI indexes. Being narrow shouldered and flat chested I didn't carry the pounds well but still, who would be likely to care? A bikini body was not something I could realistically aspire to. And I was a very fit fat person. My blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol etc. were all great, probably because for most of my life I have walked 6-8 miles a day.
    And that is where I found my motivation. In the spring and summer of 2012 I started having problems with my right knee. I did a 6 day walking tour of the Cornwall coast in England and paid for it. When I got back I went to my doctor who sent me for X-rays. It was your usual garden variety osteo-arthritis...pretty standard for a 68 year old. Not too far advanced but she put me on a wait list to see an orthopaedic surgeon. (I am Canadian. This was not an emergency so yes there was a wait.) My husband and several friends have had joint replacements. It wasn't keen on joining their ranks. Maybe if I lost weight and did some weight training aimed at building up the muscles around my knees? Would that work?

I tried it, and it did. 20 pounds off me has meant 80 pounds off that knee. We are both much happier for it. I never got to meet the orthopaedic surgeon. I was able to call and cancel that appointment.

That's a lovely story, thanks for sharing!
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It started as an experiment. I have been fat and thinvqnd i wanted to see what else I could do with my body. Now I am discovering all the other benefits (confidence. Hotness. Being able to pick up my munchkin )