MFP only gives me 1200 calories!!

Options
so i've lost 15 lbs so far (since jan 10th) eating about 1200 cal a day since thats what MFP says but the more i learn the more i think this isn't healthy. So i'm 5 10 female and weigh 199 and i try to workout as much as i can but with 3 kids under 3 it doesn't get done as much as id like but i try. Well my question is does this seem right to you? scooby's workshop recommends that i have 1658 to be at a 20% def . so should i go by MFP or` scooby...or any suggestions would be appreciated. I want this to become a lifestyle change and i want it to last and i don't want to confuse my body in the process

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I am guessing your goal is set at 2 pounds per week. I am also guessing your activity level is set at sedentary. With the children you have you are not sedentary. The only truly sedentary people are those who sit around all day, and yes I mean sit. You are probably way more active than that. Also, that 1200 does not include any exercise calories. So any exercise you do, you need to eat those calories back.

My suggestion would be change you activity level to something that actually reflects the walking, running, and all the rest of caring for 3 children (lightly active at the very least) and change your goal to 1 pound per week.

If you did the TDEE at Scobby's right it includes your exercise and daily activity calories. I am guessing the two come out very similar if you go for a 1 pound per week goal and up your activity level.

As to which is better, I personally prefer figuring out my TDEE and doing the TDEE minus 20%. I don't like adding exercise calories. I prefer them figured into the total ahead of time. You should use the one you prefer.
  • jeskuhsmeekers
    jeskuhsmeekers Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i put both to sedentary since i don't always have time to get work out. I thought i'd rather be under than over. But no i do not sit much of the day usually only once the minions go to sleep but i'm afraid of gaining the weight back.. which i just got out of the 200s and NEVER wanna see that again. yes i have it set to 2 a week i will change my activity level tho see what it says then.. thank you very much for your help and feedback.. i just still feel a little lost and confused..
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Change your 'goals' to lightly active or active if you are actually fairly active. Also, I'd back off from 2lbs to 1 or even .5lbs a week. 1200 is just such a small number. You can still lose weight without restricting yourself so much. There are some really helpful threads in here. your guide to becoming sexypants is a good read, in place of a road map is another really informative thread. Doing some research and learning about BMR/TDEE really helped me set my goals.
  • jeskuhsmeekers
    Options
    thank you i read the road to sexy pants and it's very informative... i changed my activity level to light activity and now ive got about 1600 cal a day.. after a month of 1200 this might be a little difficult but i'm gonna give it a go and see what happens
  • MissjessA193
    MissjessA193 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thank you i read the road to sexy pants and it's very informative... i changed my activity level to light activity and now ive got about 1600 cal a day.. after a month of 1200 this might be a little difficult but i'm gonna give it a go and see what happens

I just did the same thing. I lost almost 10 pounds doing the 1200 calories. I had mine set on sedentary too until yesterday. I changed to lightly active and it upped my calories. Hope it works out good for us :)
  • scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That is odd. I'm a 5'11" male who weighs 200lbs and for two lbs a week it has me at 1990 calories per day. I do have it set at a moderately active lifestyle. I haven't lost any weight these last two weeks but my four core measurements have all gone down, so I'll take that I guess
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You can set your calorie goal to whatever you want by going to "Goals" and going to custom settings.
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody on changing the activity level and weekly weight loss goal, I stopped losing weight for a few weeks and then when I changed my weekly weight loss to 1 instead of 2 I started losing again .... it worked out the eating the little bit more was better for me ... good luck :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    That is odd. I'm a 5'11" male who weighs 200lbs and for two lbs a week it has me at 1990 calories per day. I do have it set at a moderately active lifestyle. I haven't lost any weight these last two weeks but my four core measurements have all gone down, so I'll take that I guess

Men have a higher metabolism than women, that's why you will be given a higher calorie allotment.

OP, I am 5'2" and am losing on 1300-1700 cal per day. You shouldn't need to cut so low to lose the weight. Eating a bit more will help you not feel so deprived, and keep your energy up for your minions (I love that you called them that). :flowerforyou:
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If I was 199lbs and my goal weight was 174, I would set my calorie goal to 1740. With no eating back of exercise calories. When I get to the goal weight, I would then eat at TDEE for maintenance. But that's just me =) FYI my activity level is sedentary because I don't want MFP guessing my actual burn.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Do 1658 and remember that you can even go 20% higher and still not gain because that is maintenance. I think it's also a good idea to just raise your calories by 100 or 200 a week and evaluate how you feel and until you get to 1658.
  • mrsieve
    mrsieve Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I only put 1 pound a day and I am in the same boat. I think it means if you don't exercise/move whatsoever, you should only have 1200 calories in a day. Realistically, exercising essentially lets you eat more calories without having to worry about them.
  • jeskuhsmeekers
    Options
    thanks so much everyone i think i'm going to try to stay at about 1400-1500 to leave room for error haha i i forget to log the little things alot i changed my activity level to light and it said 14?? i can't remember the exact amount right now but it seems better then 1200 and

Men have a higher metabolism than women, that's why you will be given a higher calorie allotment.

OP, I am 5'2" and am losing on 1300-1700 cal per day. You shouldn't need to cut so low to lose the weight. Eating a bit more will help you not feel so deprived, and keep your energy up for your minions (I love that you called them that). :flowerforyou:
    yeah we call them minions haha my whole family calls them that now too since im the only kid that has kids it kinda stuck.. i didn't even realized i wrote it since it's so common to me now..