Zumba is hard to learn

Options
So, I got the Zumba DVD set today and just went through the 1st DVD to learn the steps. Wow, it was hard. I don't think I learned anything so I will need to watch this again about 50 times. I guess I am a very bad dancer. It is going to be tons and tons of fun once I get it though! Moving slow and trying to learn it made me sweat! lol

Replies

• jeaniedev
    jeaniedev Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have never done the DVD but have done lots of classes....If you fo them right....focusing on the core..it is such an amazing workout and fun.. If you can find a class nearby...I would suggest to do it...Good luck with the DVD!!:smile:
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It is so worth it though, just keep trying.

I joked with a friend of mine after a class one time that I need to apologize to these poor instructors. They spend all this time choreographing fantastic routines only to watch me butcher them terribly! It must be heartbreaking. *laugh*

As long as you have fun and move, that is what is most important!!
  • molina76853
    Options
    I have done zumba and just did the steps one time and went straight to the 20 minute express workout. I found that to be easier because I just go with the flow/video and the steps just fall into place.
  • ixsaraxi
    Options
    I bought the Zumba game for the PS3 a week or so ago, and I love it! After about 4 times doing the routines I am more coordinated and it's 100x easier then the first time I tried. I do it for 60 mins straight now. Once you get the hang of it it will be so much fun :) if you have the wii or ps3 I deff recommend the game!!
  • honeybee709
    honeybee709 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! Do the basics dvd a few times...you'll get it! EVERYONE is a fool their first time :)
  • lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    It's hard but it's SO Much fun!
  • LauraLou2010
    LauraLou2010 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just took my first Zumba class tonight at the gym where I am a member. I thought it was hard also. We used weights which I didn't realize I would do. I thought it was going to be more of a dance class. Just wondering since it is SO popular why doesn't it automatically come up when I try to type it in for my cardio workout?
  • SyKena
    SyKena Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    it is very hard...especially if you have no rhythm like me....but I find myself picking it up the more often I do it.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    My Zumba teacher always says, "Don't worry what it looks like. Just keep moving." I'm really slow to learn anything but once you do it enough times you can do the whole DVD without even thinking about it.
  • mikaselm
    Options
    Zumba DVD's (and Belly Dance DVD's, which I am much more familliar with) are often very hard to learn from. No matter how good a dancer you are, it's just difficult form a DVD. In real life, a teacher can slow the pace, offer personalized instruction, and can give you a much more realistic expectation of what a beginner whould be able to do. As a belly dance teacher, I often find students that say they can't dance because they couldn't keep up with a video. Just remember, the instructor in the video has probably been dancing Zumba for many years, and so her moves all look awesome and crisp and easy. One of the other major advantages of a class is that you are working with other beginners, and you tend to compare your progress against them, instead of the professional dancers in the vid. If you can find a class, I would reccommend that. If you can't find a class, or if you're unwilling to take a class, stick with your DVD, and just remember, you're not a professional dancer yet give it LOTS of time.

One of the big reasons that people buy videos instead of taking classes is that they feel very self conscious or don't want to look silly just remember EVERYONE in that class feels taht way and nobody is going to judge you. They'll be so concerned with the way that their own moves look that they won't even glance at you. :D
  • BughaBear
    BughaBear Posts: 201
    Options
    I have never did the dvd to learn the steps I just went to the other dvds and I just went with the flow and it was so much fun, I hope it gets easier for u!! But keep doin it and u will get the hang of it soon
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    My local rec center has Zumba classes, and it took me at least 4 classes before I started getting the hang of it. Easiest way is to hide behind someone who knows the steps, and just follow them. Needless to say, the first 4 classes I was just running around and jumping a lot. It doesn't really matter if you do the moves as long as you're sustaining an excited heart rate and having a good time :)
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I suggest doing the 20 minute express too....

The learn DVD teaches you all of the moves and some of those moves you do in the more advanced DVDs (BTW I never made it though the whole thing)
    The steps in the 20 min one are the simpler ones and they start slowly with steps then add arms and hips....so for some moves I only do the feet and then eventually work to using my hips and everything else...and if I cant get a step I just walk in place or do another step I like

Hope you try it again:flowerforyou:
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I just started today also...I was going through the basics, and I stopped it like 2 minutes in. Learning them slow is hard if you have the natural rhythm and beat in your head...so I did the 20 minute express and I already am contemplating doing it again because it was so much fun,

just keep at it, you will get it...take your time and in no time you will be moving those hips like the best of them! :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I do the Zumba classes here at the gym and even after my 2nd time I was better. Videos are harder to follow. Keep it up and if you can't do something or fall behind just keep moving!!!

I'm going to have to check out the Zumba wii game though and see what that is like!
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The second time I went through it it really was easier. I did figure out though that I bought the older 2005 version but it was only $25.00 on Craigslist. This will help me then if I can really get it I will purchase the new one.
  • leggymomma64
    leggymomma64 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    After you watch the 1st one, just jump into the others. I went a good 2-3 weeks just trying to get the footwork down, then after you get comfortable with the steps, you can throw in some hips. Stick with it, I felt totally uncoordinated for a good couple of weeks, but now I can do most of the moves very comfortably. Good luck!!
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    yeah ! hard to follow !