Plateauing :(:(

Options
Does anyone have any tips on how to get out of a weight loss plateau??? I feel like I have a short bout of success and then I just keep plateauing all the time!! It's so frustrating and really demotivating atm :(

If anyone has beaten plateaus themselves or would like to help a girl out, do let me know!

Replies

• kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    perhaps try changing up your workout routine... work a little bit harder, or a little bit longer (or both) for a while. add a little more weight if you are lifting weights. its my understanding that after a while our bodies get used to and adjust to our workouts and need the change to keep moving forward.
  • Dgangaware
    Dgangaware Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure that your calorie intake isn't too low. When I have hit a lull, I usually find I am not eating enough calories. Your body can go into " starvation mode" adjusting your metabolism to hold on to pounds. I agree that changing up your exercise routine helps too. Good luck and let us know how you do!
  • justindtapp
    justindtapp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you only measuring weight, or body fat %? If your goal is to burn fat, then don't worry so much about overall weight. Are you doing any resistance training? If so, have you upped your weight? Try changing your workout routine as your body adjusts-- do things differently. Also, increase your protein relative to your carbs for a little bit. Maybe aim for 20% fat, 40% protein, 40% carbs for several days, see what your weight does.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Assuming your food is in check, how often to you change up your exercise program? Your body can fall into a routine if you do the same type of exercise program over and over. Try to change up your routine every 4-5 workouts. Change up your strength program/order, along with your Cardio program/order. Keeping your exercise routine fresh and different prevents your body from falling into a routine, and also prevents you from getting bored!

Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips on how to get out of a weight loss plateau??? I feel like I have a short bout of success and then I just keep plateauing all the time!! It's so frustrating and really demotivating atm :(

If anyone has beaten plateaus themselves or would like to help a girl out, do let me know!
    Patience. Weight loss is not linear.

A plateau is when you weight stalls for a long time. If you are cycling through losing some but cycling through gaining/staying the same, chances are you are eating more than you think you are.

Also, make sure you are weighing all food and recording all calories, intake and output. Make sure your portions are correct, your exercise calories as accurate as you can get them, stay within your calorie goal, and you will lose weight.

Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Your body can go into " starvation mode" adjusting your metabolism to hold on to pounds.
    This is not true.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Drop your calories. Plateaus don't exist. It just means you've found where the energy you eat = the energy you expend. So, in order to change that, eat less, move more, or some combination of both.
    Yep.
  • Dgangaware
    Options
    Researchers at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, LA, have shown that when people significantly reduce their calorie intake, they undergo a metabolic adaptation that results in a slower metabolic rate.
  • jnnfrch
    jnnfrch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions!

I'm definitely not eating more than I expend or more than I think (of course assuming that the values on packaging etc are correct) and as I used to be a crash dieter, I don't want to restrict my calories any more, I think it'd be dangerous for me to get into that region again!

I think doing more or changing up my workouts is a great idea

What do people think about metabolisms? There's so much about calorie cycling, intermittent fasting etcetcetc to "speed up your metabolism" but I fear it's all a bit nonsensical..

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted!
  • bradXdale
    Options
    Lift some heavier weights.

In fact lift some REALLY heavy weights.

Say you can curl a 8lb dumbbell for 10-15 reps, try picking up a 12-15lb dumbbell for 2-5 reps for 3 to 4 sets.

Increase resistance, increase the time that a muscle is under tension and you can bust through plateaus.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just went through 2 1/2 weeks of no weight drop. Very frustrating but I just kept doing what I'd been doing even though it was beyond frustrating and then this week I dropped 2 lbs. just keep going, it will drop.
  • jnnfrch
    jnnfrch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just went through 2 1/2 weeks of no weight drop. Very frustrating but I just kept doing what I'd been doing even though it was beyond frustrating and then this week I dropped 2 lbs. just keep going, it will drop.

Thanks, thats just the reassurance I needed!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Define 'plateau'. I have a 2-3 week stall every single month... it's totally normal. A plateau is typically 4+ weeks and means you're eating too much.
  • Dgangaware
    Options
    got it!