Healthy Pancakes Recipe

Options
I have tried the 2 ingredient banana and eggs recipes and could never get them to cook right. They'd fall apart and just were a hassle. So I came up with this recipe and it turned out great! Picture and recipe found here:
http://gethealthy2014.tumblr.com/

Replies

• FittyNotFattie2014
    Options
    Why are regular pancackes not healthy?

Have you read the nutrition facts and ingredients on the box of pancake mix? Majority of the time the main ingredient is white flour. White flour has a high glycemic index which will spike your blood sugar. Not to mention, it has basically no nutritional value.
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Have you read the nutrition facts and ingredients on the box of pancake mix? Majority of the time the main ingredient is white flour. White flour has a high glycemic index which will spike your blood sugar. Not to mention, it has basically no nutritional value.

I don't eat pancakes for nutrition. I eat them because they are yummy.

I don't have any medical conditions that cause me to worry about spiking my blood sugar, so it is not an issue for me.

Lastly, who buys a box of pancakes? I make them from scratch, so yes, I know exactly what's in them. I still don't know why you consider it unhealthy. Good health isn't about eating one thing but it's about what you've eaten over a period of time and your activity levels and other factors. Eating a plate of regular homemade pancakes dripping with butter and syrup is not going to make any difference in my health over, say, a weeks period of time.

First of all, many people appreciate healthy recipes. I am glad YOU don't have these issues, but many people here do and greatly appreciate healthier versions of favorite foods. We are all on a learning curve here. If the recipe or food does not appeal to you, move on. No need to be rude or condescending to those looking for other options.
  • FittyNotFattie2014
    Options

I don't have any medical conditions that cause me to worry about spiking my blood sugar, so it is not an issue for me.

Lastly, who buys a box of pancakes? I make them from scratch, so yes, I know exactly what's in them. I still don't know why you consider it unhealthy. Good health isn't about eating one thing but it's about what you've eaten over a period of time and your activity levels and other factors. Eating a plate of regular homemade pancakes dripping with butter and syrup is not going to make any difference in my health over, say, a weeks period of time.

Yes, and it is fine to eat things that taste good but are unhealthy in moderation. But, no one needs recipes for those things. They are easy to find. And you don't need to have a medical condition to worry about blood sugar spikes. It's not healthy for anyone. Yes, some people have more of a genetic predisposition to becoming diabetic or conditions like that. You don't need to have a family history though. Choosing healthy alternatives to unhealthy foods isn't a bad idea. The things I see in my patients in the hospital every day has shown me what too many unhealthy habits can do
  • FittyNotFattie2014
    Options

First of all, many people appreciate healthy recipes. I am glad YOU don't have these issues, but many people here do and greatly appreciate healthier versions of favorite foods. We are all on a learning curve here. If the recipe or food does not appeal to you, move on. No need to be rude or condescending to those looking for other options.

Exactly! Thank you!
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    A stack of Denny's or IHOP pancakes suit me just fine. Not every morning, or even every week. However, there is nothing like a stack of pancakes with oozing butter and warm maple syrup! ;-)
  • FittyNotFattie2014
    Options

Yes, and it is fine to eat things that taste good but are unhealthy in moderation. But, no one needs recipes for those things. They are easy to find. And you don't need to have a medical condition to worry about blood sugar spikes. It's not healthy for anyone. Yes, some people have more of a genetic predisposition to becoming diabetic or conditions like that. You don't need to have a family history though. Choosing healthy alternatives to unhealthy foods isn't a bad idea. The things I see in my patients in the hospital every day has shown me what too many unhealthy habits can do

It's not unhealthy. Please stop viewing nutrition wrongly and spreading bad information to people that don't know better.

Like I said, it's not unhealthy in moderation. How am I spreading bad information with better alternatives to foods people like to eat? I don't know what you base your logic on, but I base mine on science, what I have studied for the past four years, and what I see in my patients on a daily basis.
  • FittyNotFattie2014
    Options
    A stack of Denny's or IHOP pancakes suit me just fine. Not every morning, or even every week. However, there is nothing like a stack of pancakes with oozing butter and warm maple syrup! ;-)

I'm actually not that big of a pancakes eater myself but it's fine in moderation! Nothing wrong with that :)
  • FittyNotFattie2014
    Options
    I just realized this is a recipe board. My apologies.

No worries!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    sounds good. Thanks

just a question but why use stevia? what makes it better than sugar?
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I have a great recipe! Although it is fairly calorie dense, you'll become full very quickly eating these!

1 banana
    1/4 cup plant milk of your desired type
    1 cup whole grain flour (I like oat, but whole wheat is also good)
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tbsp maple syrup (I always use 100%)
    1 cup blueberries fresh or thawed (I usually skip these and sometimes put in a handful of chocolate chips instead.

Mash the banana with a fork or in a mixer. Add the plant milk and blend until smooth (not in a blender). Add everything but blueberries and mix. Add blueberries.

Cook just like normal pancakes.

The batter willbe much thicker than your used to and they always turn out pretty thick and fluffy for me. Also, this recipe is vegan friendly!
  • ashleysarvi
    Options
    For my pancakes i take 2 eggs one banana and stick them in the blender until smooth, add a bit of cinnamon and they are always fantastic! topped with a little bit of pure organic maple syrup!
  • FittyNotFattie2014
    Options
    sounds good. Thanks

just a question but why use stevia? what makes it better than sugar?

Just the calories... I'm trying to cut back on calories right now so I use stevia but I plan on switching back to regular sugar once I reach my goal and am maintaining
  • soozey1
    soozey1 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For an alternate to the regular Pancake, Almond meal pancakes are great.
    High in protein and no gluten.
    Sorry no packet mix, easy to make from scratch.
    You can add a dollop of yoghurt and blueberries. Yummy treat when dieting and part of a good long term eating plan.

Recipe: Hazelnut-Vanilla Pancakes
    http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/388901/hazelnut-vanilla-pancakes
    Or view in app: bigoven://recipe/388901

The recipe is presented without resizing, providing 2 servings

Gluten Free, Fructose friendly.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Almond meal
    1/8 cup Hazelnuts
    2 Eggs
    1 teaspoon Stevia
    1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
    1/8 teaspoon Salt
    1/8 teaspoon Baking soda
    2 teaspoon Butter for frying
    1 teaspoon Natvia for topping
    1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon for topping
    1 teaspoon Butter for topping

Preparation:
    Mix all ingredients in food processor, use spatula to get out.
    Heat non stick frypan with one teaspoon butter, pour in, careful not to burn, turn and repeat for other pancake.

Serve with a light spread of butter or sprinkle with Natvia, top with some cinnamon.
    Makes 2 large pancakes.
    Great for people with Fructose allergies or Gluten intolerance.

Take your recipes anywhere with BigOven's free 250,000+ Recipes mobile apps for iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire and Windows Phone!
    http://www.bigoven.com

hope you enjoy them as much as me:)