Instant Oatmeal?

Options
Do you think that flavored, instant oatmeal is still a healthy, nutritious breakfast even though it has added sugar and the fact that it's "instant"? Was thinking of having in pre wo with like a banana...

Nutrition: http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-quaker-oats-instant-oatmeal-cinnamon-i134079

Replies

• gammybarb
    gammybarb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like old fashioned oats but found this info for you on Livestrong:

Rolled oats, which are whole-grain oats that have been steamed and pressed with a roller to flatten them, take about five minutes to cook, while instant oats, which are basically very thinly pressed rolled oats, are ready as soon as you mix in hot water. While the extra pressing does affect the texture of the oatmeal, instant oats are nutritionally not that much different from rolled oats.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Is that a thing?
    I don't think so.
    Just take the time to make real oatmeal.
  • tommills95
    Options
    Yes, it's worked for me for the last month. Kills the hunger, tastes good and if you use the low sugar version, just 110 calories. A banana is nearly that and doesn't stick with me as long.
  • RomaWT
    RomaWT Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use instant non-flavored oatmeal (no sugar) with fresh apple/ banana/ strawberry pieces. That way I avoid the added sugar. I think it is a nutritious breakfast.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your day and you feel good eating it, I say go for it.
  • jbeans830
    jbeans830 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hm....I am not too sure. I think since it is "instant" it is a bit more processed than, say, steal cut oats. The sugar doesn't seem too high if you can manage to fit it into your own personal daily goals. I know instant oatmeal is a lot quicker so do whatever works for you. I would suggest that if you are getting the cinnamon flavor - to instead buy the regular "flavored" oatmeal and add ground cinnamon and put your banana in the oatmeal to give it some sweetness because bananas, while a fruit and are good for, contain a lot of sugar.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I honestly save the macros at the end of the day because it keeps me full overnight... If you're relying on oatmeal for nutritional value then.. maybe you should eat more fruits/veggies.
  • chriskim1996
    chriskim1996 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! So I'm thinking I'll just finish up the 6 or so packets of SWEETENED instant oatmeal I have, and then go buy some steel cut oats or regular instant oatmeal.
  • chriskim1996
    chriskim1996 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hm....I am not too sure. I think since it is "instant" it is a bit more processed than, say, steal cut oats. The sugar doesn't seem too high if you can manage to fit it into your own personal daily goals. I know instant oatmeal is a lot quicker so do whatever works for you. I would suggest that if you are getting the cinnamon flavor - to instead buy the regular "flavored" oatmeal and add ground cinnamon and put your banana in the oatmeal to give it some sweetness because bananas, while a fruit and are good for, contain a lot of sugar.

I don't track my sugar, just cals and macros
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I buy oat bran at Whole Foods from the bulk section. It's probably a lot cheaper per ounce than whatever you're paying for those little packets and it's not processed at all. It also cooks a lot faster than steel-cut oats. I heat water to boiling in the microwave, throw in the oat bran, then heat it for another 60 seconds or till it starts to boil over. (You do have to watch it!) I like mine with cinnamon.
  • Gorillanosh
    Gorillanosh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    here's an article i liked concerning oats. with a great recipe for steel cut oats!

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/01/porridge-life-lessons-what-i-learned-in-a-year-of-eating-oats/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I like old fashioned oats but found this info for you on Livestrong:

Rolled oats, which are whole-grain oats that have been steamed and pressed with a roller to flatten them, take about five minutes to cook, while instant oats, which are basically very thinly pressed rolled oats, are ready as soon as you mix in hot water. While the extra pressing does affect the texture of the oatmeal, instant oats are nutritionally not that much different from rolled oats.

Except for the added sugar. I've never seen instant oats that didn't come with sugar already added, but maybe I've missed that. If you can find plain instant oats, you're good to go. (I don't usually add sweetener, other than fruit, to my plain oats or plain oatmeal, although on rare occasions I do add blackstrap molasses for the minerals.)

Also, you can eat old-fashioned or quick-cooking (as opposed to instant) rolled oats without cooking. I eat them raw all the time, usually mixed with yogurt, kefir smoothie, or milk, and when I want want them hot and don't feel like actually cooking a potful, I add hot water to the bowl, or microwave the oats with milk for a half minute or so.

One other advantage of regular rolled oats over instant: They tend to be a lot cheaper. You're generally paying a lot for the "convenience" of having the manufacturer put a premeasured amount of oats, sugar, and flavorings in an "individual" serving packet. Buy your rolled oats in a large cardboard canister, measure out the amount you actually want to eat, and save lots of money.

Finally, plain oats are far more versatile than the flavored, sweetened, instant oats. You can use plain oats in baked goods, in a savory oat "risotto," in low-fat "cream" soups, as an extender in meat loaf and similar foods...
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time. I like to slice a banana up into the oatmeal. Tastes like warm banana pudding :heart:
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I luv oatmeal, its always mix with a tbsp of condensed milk. Taste yummy! ^_^