Weight Lifting or Cardio?

Options
So, I've reached my first goal weight and i still have a little pudge in my stomach area. I ultimately want to be 150, which seems so close but far away, but i also want o be toned. I just cant seem to decide whether or not the pudge i have left on my tumy area is due to needing to lose more weight and continue with cardio or should i begin to tone.. Im not even sure if this question makes sense, lol. I just am confused on when you should begin to do strength training and whether or not the excess is because i need to lose more weight or not..

Also, how many days do you guys typically have off a week?

Replies

• terrance250
    terrance250 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Simply put, if you want to just burn more calories & improve cardiovascular health, do cardio.

If you want to gain strength, firm up your muscles, improve bone density, & increase your bodys metabolism, do strength training.

I personally prefer strength training. A simple progressive 3x a week full body routine can be very effective.

Some folks like cardio. I hate it and just choose to eat a little less :P
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Simply put, if you want to just burn more calories & improve cardiovascular health, do cardio.

If you want to gain strength, firm up your muscles, improve bone density, & increase your bodys metabolism, do strength training.

I personally prefer strength training. A simple progressive 3x a week full body routine can be very effective.

Some folks like cardio. I hate it and just choose to eat a little less :P

Yup. I really don't like cardio, unless I'm walking somewhere with a purpose (like the farmer's market down the block). I love weight lifting and love the results I get with it. Both have different benefits, and both if done in excess can cause problems.

That being said, the pudge is probably just a little bit of extra belly fat. If you start strength training while eating at a deficit, you can preserve that muscle under the belly fat. That way when all the fat weight is gone you'll still have good muscle there too.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    0fc.gif
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Continue doing cardio but do weights too... the benefits, oh the benefits of combining the two... as far as the tummy, mostly it is food but stay away form the floor when doing core - make sure you are engaging it with each exercise, no matter what movement you make you should be feeling it in the core as well
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you know, cardio doesn't mean having to train for a half marathon. i think you need a certain level of conditioning to help supplement your strength training. i.e. if you have good conditioning you can strength train for longer.

one long 20-30 minute jog a week is great for most people, and there are other ways to get it other than running, such as cycling, the elliptical, swimming, kickboxing class, zumba, whatever.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Both
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    you know, cardio doesn't mean having to train for a half marathon. i think you need a certain level of conditioning to help supplement your strength training. i.e. if you have good conditioning you can strength train for longer.

one long 20-30 minute jog a week is great for most people, and there are other ways to get it other than running, such as cycling, the elliptical, swimming, kickboxing class, zumba, whatever.

I agree with this!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    0fc.gif

This.

The point of lifting while dieting is to maintain muscle. We naturally lose some muscle when we lose weight. We'd rather lose fat, right? Weight lifting.
  • ToniD923
    ToniD923 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with your comment. Doing both is most beneficial... per my trainer. I do results with both so far.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to not do both. Disclaimer: I'm not saying you should do THIS exactly. I'm just pointing out that it's possible.

It takes some tweaking, but I and many of my friends log some serious miles 3x- 4x a week AND lift 3x-4x a week. It might involve some double days, and of course, what works for you is going to be very individualistic. You'll have to trial and error to see what works.

What normally works out for me is leg day combined with a short run(1), rest(2), upper body day combined with a medium run(3), a long run(4), rest(5), and another leg or accessory day(6), rest, or sprints, short run (7).

I know you aren't saying you're going to run. But I know many people who keep a fast paced schedule with cardio and lifting. (Just so happens most of them are runners). It's a thing. It can be done, and there's no reason to shy away from it or see it as an "all or nothing" if you WANT to do both.

Also- per my experience- if you're not happy with your body as you approach your goal weight, strength training is going to get you where you want to go looks wise faster than losing more weight.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you only can do one or the other, do weights because heavy weights raises your heart rate and counts as cardio as well.

But both is good.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do both!!

<
    See photo!!! :drinker:

ETA: Cardio does wonders for your heart and weight lifting does wonders for your muscles and bones.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Both for faster results. 6 x week cardio running/walking/spin/swim | 3 x week targeted strength training
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Given the choice of either, I'd go for Weight training - at the moment I'm doing both.

I do cardio for, well, cardiovascular improvement :).
    Also, means I can eat more - but that's the only part I'd take to mean anything for weight loss.

For a nice figure, heavy weight lifting seems to be the best choice.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I do both!!!!!

Cardio for 5k training and heart health and simply to burn calories

weights to fill out the soft spots by bringing in the muscle underneath :)

ultimetely try both, see what you like and do whatever keeps you moving!

good luck!

This is what it really comes down to. What do you love? what will you look forward to doing? What will you continue doing?
  • PudgyQ
    PudgyQ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like. I have lost 24lbs but not seeing as much as of difference as I want. Clothes fit better but it is the "naked" part I want. So starting this morning, I started back to strength training as well as cardio. I did all my strength training with the machines today and then did 30 mins cardio. I am going to eat back cardio calories but not strength training. I took measurements and pictures this morning too, to see what the difference is in 6 weeks. I will alternate the machines with free weights as I do what cardio I do. I make it to the gym an average of 4x week.
    I was doing strength training with a trainer prior but not seeing weight loss (wasn't on MFP). So I have lost some weight now with MFP and cardio but now need to get rid of the smushy.Let's see what happens!
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Might depend on how much time you have to exercise. I do both 4 times a week. Each work out is 1/2 hour of cardio on the stationary bike then 20 minutes of weights. Tue is chest/arms, Thur is shoulders/back, Sa is stomache/chest/back, Su is legs. When I'm in maintain mode I have lots of energy and strength during workouts, but when I'm in calorie deficit mode (like now) I feel weaker and have to trudge through it a bit.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    For purely aesthetic results, you need to lose fat. That means eating at a caloric deficit and somehow preserving the muscle that you have. The most efficient way of doing that is to do heavy compound barbell lifts. Starting Strength is a great book with an excellent overview of all the big lifts that you'll really want to strive to learn. Perform that program if you like, to begin with, or look into something like a Reverse Pyramid Training program.

If you're concerned with cardiovascular health or athletic performance in addition to what you've mentioned, then supplement with some sprints or other type of interval cardio for maximum efficiency.
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I do both (4-5 times a week,alternatively)

1) Purely Cardio: Elliptical: 25 -30mins, Stat.rowing: 20mins, Torso Rotation:5mins
    2) Lap-swimming(butterfly style),non-stop for 60-80mins
    3) Mix of Cardio and Strength: Elliptical,15mins; 100xSitups with 1-2kg in each hand; 70 Squats ; Planks ; 100x Abs crunches ; 30 - Reserve crunches;Dead-lift