Could you do a plant based diet?

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    <<Yep not an issue for me, but it is just a personal preference of mine and I never feel the need to justify it...in the sense I do not ask people to justify their personal preferences/choices such as music, authors, sexual preference etc.

Question is if you are considering this dietary preference why do you need peoples validation, if it is what you want to do and you have the financial and geographical means go for it and if you find it beneficial and to your liking what do others opinions matter.

Damn. This is the best answer I've seen.

For me, the answer is no, but that is me. I agree that we all have to make certain decisions for ourselves.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I have ate primarily plant based over a year.. it was hard at first, but my body just doesn't do well on meat. it feels very heavy and lethargic, eggs and dairy make me nauseous and dairy didn't set well with my UC neither did gluten.I do still have fish and seafood occasionally, but its not a everyday thing. when something is better for your body health wise you learn to make adjustments. I love the way I eat now. my body feels amazing.. my UC is in remission unless I eat something I shouldn't.

will this work for everyone. NO but im not everyone. im me and it works for me. i make all my own foods and plant based doesn't have to be boring. you can get creative.

everyone has to find what works for them.. I will share my lifestyle if people want to know, but i don't push it on people. i have alot of friends that eat meat.. my whole family eats different than me.. its ok.. its my choice.. and its their choice.

i don't defend it and i don't justify it.. i use to. not anymore. its my body.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,924 Member
    Options
    <<Yep not an issue for me, but it is just a personal preference of mine and I never feel the need to justify it...in the sense I do not ask people to justify their personal preferences/choices such as music, authors, sexual preference etc.

Question is if you are considering this dietary preference why do you need peoples validation, if it is what you want to do and you have the financial and geographical means go for it and if you find it beneficial and to your liking what do others opinions matter.

For me, the answer is no, but that is me. I agree that we all have to make certain decisions for ourselves.
    Agree 100%
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Personally I couldn't (I'm a self confessed carnivore).

I've heard the kaleo diet is suppose to be really good.

I would definitely look into it if I were you. Do the research and if it stacks up then it's your choice to make.

Good luck with finding what's right for you.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Bingo. Same here.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I can. And do, most of the time. I have Crohns and the only way to be pain free, mostly nausea free and have everything internally function kinda normal is to stay far away from animal products, gluten/oats, corn, nuts and seeds. It's awesome amounts of fun (sarcasm.....) I really love meat, and would gladly eat steak for 3 meals a day, but I just can't. Even a few bites causes major issues.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Could I? Yes. Do I want to? Not even a little bit.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    No. I am lazy and only want to put so much thought and effort into my meals and preparation. It's hard enough to eat a balanced diet with the right macros without eliminating whole food groups. I think if I did I would end up eating carbs way too much.

I did a sort of vegetarian challenge for the heck of it once. It was fine. I don't love meat, in fact it's probably my least favorite food. But it's still a staple of my diet. I would have a much harder time kicking out eggs and dairy on top of that. And since I'm not morally opposed to eating animals and their products, I see no reason to do so. Animal products are the only complete proteins- you can still get all your necessary proteins from plants, but you would have to be very careful to eat quite the variety of them.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and legumes are a pretty big part of my diet, but I don't see myself ever doing a 100% plant-based diet. I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian as a younger woman and at the time I didn't miss meat, but I can't imagine giving up dairy and eggs.

At this point, since my husband is a committed carnivore, I wouldn't try to go vegetarian, let alone vegan. Too much trouble to cook two separate meals!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Do I have the testicular fortitude to put myself through, and endure such torture? Of course. Would I ever want to? No! I love meat.

Rigger
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Do I have the testicular fortitude to put myself through, and endure such torture? Of course. Would I ever want to? No! I love meat.

Rigger

Ya gotta be hung to go vegan? Sounds controversial. ;-)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Agree 100%

I also love this answer. I work in a field where many of my colleagues are environmentally minded and have switched to primarily vegetarian diets for that reason, but I really couldn't do it personally. I am also a strong believer that adding up small changes over time is the way to go. I do what I can and worry about the causes that are most important to me. I encourage others to find the causes they are passionate about, but for every person it is a PERSONAL choice. My causes don't need to be your causes and vice versa, everyone makes a difference in their own way.

ETA: Would totally be ok with switching to insect farming for the majority of protein consumption though, but I suspect I might be in the minority on that one....
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    I've been vegetarian/plant based for most of my life. For the last 2 months I've been trying to do a higher protien diet with meat and dairy but have decided to go back to my plant based lifestyle. I just feel lighter and healthier not consuming animal products - plus it's always nice to know you're eating a cruelty-free diet.
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I can safely say that I will never do this in my life.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    No I could not, nor would I want to!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Negative, unless the world is ending and I had no choice.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    No. I'm diabetic and control my blood sugar with diet alone.
  • SaBh93
    SaBh93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't do well with restricting my carb intake. This usually means a load of fruit/veg/legumes.. occasionally nuts. Little to no oil. I don't care too much about the protein intake. So far I've had a few days where I went up to 2,500-2,700 cals, but I shake them off as they tend to be from 'clean' sources (too many bananas/dried figs), but I usually end up eating a bit less the next day as I don't feel too good. My usual calorie intake is between 1,800-1,900. Hell, I still lost some weight!

I'm playing around with my diet for the next few weeks to find my 'happy' mode. So far, I'm sticking to a mostly vegan diet (with the occasional splash of real milk in my tea) and have one cheat meal a week where I can have cheese/wheat/meat/fish.

Naturally, I don't eat much wheat/meat so it's the cheese restriction which I need to deal with in a constructive manner. Completely eliminating it will make me binge on it, so a cheat meal is a win-win situation.
  • aluethi1
    aluethi1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think I would starve to death if I tried. I'm way too picky! And I love meat. But if it was up to me to kill that meat I wouldn't be able to do it and would starve to death.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yup, 100%. That's what I do most of the time except I eat eggs and cheese (which I could give up without too much trouble).