What are the benefits to weight lifting?

Options
This might sound like a stupid question, but what are the benefits to weight lifting? I know that cardio is superior for calorie burning and cardiovascular fitness. I used to think that you can build muscle even if in a deficit by weight lifting until some of you smarter people on here corrected me on this myth. So if you can't build muscle unless you are in a surplus and since cardio is superior for calorie burning, why should I be lifting weights? I know there is a good reason for this: I just don't know the answer. LOL. Halp!!

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    To preserve as much lean body mass as possible.

To look good naked.

Cos it's friggin empowering
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is different things to different people but some of the benefits are:

- to preserve muscle and ensure the majority of weight lost is fat while at a deficit
    - to get stronger
    - to get leaner (reduce BF%)
    - to increase bone density (more important to women who lose bone density as they age)
    - to look good naked
    - to feel badass
    - it's fun
    - it's great for goal setting and challenging oneself
    - to keep metabolism raised (muscle is metabolically active - people who lose muscle when dieting end up with a reduced metabolism owing to decreased muscle mass).

I could go on but hopefully some of these benefits will inspire you to add some form of strength train to your regime.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Those are all great reasons. I have another question since I like to ask questions. LOL. How does lifting help you get leaner if in theory you are not building muscle unless on a surplus?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Those are all great reasons. I have another question since I like to ask questions. LOL. How does lifting help you get leaner if in theory you are not building muscle unless on a surplus?

By decreasing body fat, which reveals the muscle underneath. Just a small calorie deficit is enough to achieve this while lifting.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh there are so many reasons. First of all it keeps your bones strong! As people age their bones get weak, brittle, and can easily break. What kind of old folk do you want to be? Lift weights! Weight lifting also helps with balance. Lifting weights brings lots of aesthetic benefits, gives you shape and tone. Lifting combats muscle loss as you age. Lifting weights does burn calories, and because you build muscle you burn more calories. Also the weight you lose while lifting tends to be more fat, cardio alone will burn off your muscles along with some fat.
    Lifting helps you handle stress and improve mood and improves blood pressure.
    It makes you feel good, and confident. You don't have to squat 1 1/2 times your bodyweight to gain these benefits either.

The following is a list I found on the internet:
    •You’ll burn more body fat, and boost metabolism.
    •You’ll enjoy a leaner, more defined look.
    •You’ll have stronger bones, and reduce your risk of osteoporosis.
    •You’ll burn more calories.
    •You’ll lower LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels, and increase HDL (“good”) cholesterol levels.
    •You’ll become stronger, and have better endurance.
    •You’ll lose belly fat, because your body will actually store less fat (especially in the mid-section).
    •You’ll have higher self-esteem, and feel empowered.
    •You’ll reduce your risk of injury.
    •You’ll have stronger joints.
    •You’ll have a better feeling of overall well-being.
    •You’ll perform better during any workout.
    •You’ll reduce back pain.
    •You’ll reduce your risk of heart disease.
    •You’ll lower your blood pressure.
    •You’ll reduce your risk of diabetes.
    •You’ll feel happier, and feel more confident.
    •You’ll improve balance, and coordination.
    •You’ll lose body fat.
    •You’ll have more energy.
    •You’ll slim down.
    •You’ll improve your posture.
    •You’ll lower your risk of breast cancer.
    •You’ll reduce PMS symptoms.
    •You’ll boost your immune system, and catch fewer colds.

Read more at http://skinnyms.com/25-reasons-why-women-should-lift-weights/#GZ4pb9zcwvgHeYWH.99
  • juzaam
    juzaam Posts: 17
    Options

Hey Skarlet,
    the caloric surplus it's not exactly a golden rule. Realistically, there is a very small amount of muscles in kilograms that you can add in a year.
    A young male who never lifted weights with a normal diet can hope to add as much as 5-7 kg in one year of lean body mass. This number decreases every year, so that the intermediate body builder, even if training at its maximum, should be happy with a +2-3 kg in one year , if he's lucky. Its recommendation is to eat a small caloric surplus (+200).
    However, this is surely depending on calories, but depends even more from the daily protein intake, that should remain the same 2/2.5 g/die/kg (males) even when you are on a caloric deficit.

To wrap it up : if you have never lifted, you start doing properly and persistently with the right exercises, you keep an high and constant protein intake throughout your diet, well you can increase lean muscles even if you are on a caloric deficit. Yes you can lose fat and build some muscle at the same time. Of course you will add less muscle than you would have on a small caloric surplus, but still it's the only way you should go.

On the contrary, if you have some lean mass already , you start a nice caloric deficit but you DON'T keep your protein intake high and you don't lift, most of your weight loss will come from muscles, not fat. You'll end up in a plateau where you lost lots of weights but still don't look nice naked, just skinny.

The drawback of this is that a 1500 calorie diet with 180 grams of protein in it has to heavily rely on protein powders, lean meat or white eggs.
  • Skarlet13
    Options
    Hi everyone. Thank you for your responses. I'm sold!!!!
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If it helps I've got a fair bit to loose as has my other half.

It's nearly all been said on here already. When you loose weight you loose it from all aspects muscle and fat. You might loose 10kg of fat but 4kg of that might be muscle (just an example not fact). It's the muscle that makes you look good. I know plenty of skinny people who are not in shape and do not look good naked. This is where the term 'skinny fat' comes from.

One of the main differences me and my wife are experiencing are that we are getting stronger from lifting weights. I already had a fair bit of muscle from back in the day, it just got covered over in fat. I'm still over weight but I am starting to get a good shape again and I am ensuring I don't loose that muscle by eating loads of protein and continuing with lifting. I'm doing whole body compound exercises such as dead lifts, squats, presses etc. don't bother with the small muscles (arms etc) as these come with the compound work. Evident in my wife who has never trained before had next to no visible muscle. She's not lifting anywhere near the amount I am but is still making noticeable gains.

By training your muscles your body realises it needs them so they arnt the first source of energy to start eating away at when your on a calorie deficit. Your body is built for survival it will use what ever it can get first.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

To look good naked.

Yes, lift weights long enough and you'll be smokin' hot. And can beat the crap out of anyone that bothers you because you're smokin' hot.
  • Skarlet13
    Options

To look good naked.

Yes, lift weights long enough and you'll be smokin' hot. And can beat the crap out of anyone that bothers you because you're smokin' hot.

LOL :)