How to calculate your heart rate zone for weight loss

Options
I have some info that I think might help with figuring out your target heart rate for weight loss and cardio-vascular training. There are slightly differing opinions about some of these numbers but in general these are pretty average and have worked for me. If you need to know the source, I received all of this info from my person trainer at Northwest Personal Fitness in Portland, Oregon.

I posted this info previously as a response to a question but I thought that since I had seen so many posts about people buying heart rate monitors that it should be more accessible. Some heart rate monitors allow you to enter your own target heart rates and so here is how to calculate them more accurately.

You need to start by getting an accurate reading of your resting heart rate. My fitness trainer recommended that to get an accurate reading of your resting heart rate you should count your pulse for one minute the first thing in the morning before you get out of bed. Do this for three mornings and then average the readings. That should be your true resting heart rate.

example (mine is):
65+69+66 = 200
200 divided by 3 = 66.6 or 67
67 is my resting heart rate

For your heart rate zone goals:

Train at 60%-70% of your MHR (Maximum Heart Rate) for weight loss.
Train at 70%-80% of your MHR (Maximum Heart Rate) for cardio-vascular conditioning.

There is a formula you can use to figure this stuff out:

Get your Maximum Heart Rate by taking the number 226 (for women) or 220 (for men) and subtract your age.

example (mine is):
226 - 35 = 191

Then figure your Heart Rate Reserve:
Maximum Heart Rate minus your Resting Heart Rate = HHR (Heart Rate Reserve)

MHR-RHR = HHR

example: 191-67 = 124

Then use these formulas:

Weight Loss:
Lower Target Heart Rate: (HRR x 60%) + RHR =
Higher Target Heart Rate: (HRR x 70%) + RHR=

CardioVascular:
Lower Target Heart Rate: (HRR x 70%) + RHR =
Higher Target Heart Rate: (HRR x 80%) + RHR =

example:
My heart rate weight loss zone is 141-153

(124 x 60%) + 67 = 141 for my lower target zone for weight loss
(124 x 70%) + 67 = 153 for my higher target zone for weight loss

Hope this isn't too complicated and is helpful good luck! :tongue:

Replies

• MiaEllie
    MiaEllie Posts: 84
    Options
    I have some info that I think might help with figuring out your target heart rate for weight loss and cardio-vascular training. There are slightly differing opinions about some of these numbers but in general these are pretty average and have worked for me. If you need to know the source, I received all of this info from my person trainer at Northwest Personal Fitness in Portland, Oregon.

I posted this info previously as a response to a question but I thought that since I had seen so many posts about people buying heart rate monitors that it should be more accessible. Some heart rate monitors allow you to enter your own target heart rates and so here is how to calculate them more accurately.

You need to start by getting an accurate reading of your resting heart rate. My fitness trainer recommended that to get an accurate reading of your resting heart rate you should count your pulse for one minute the first thing in the morning before you get out of bed. Do this for three mornings and then average the readings. That should be your true resting heart rate.

example (mine is):
    65+69+66 = 200
    200 divided by 3 = 66.6 or 67
    67 is my resting heart rate

For your heart rate zone goals:

Train at 60%-70% of your MHR (Maximum Heart Rate) for weight loss.
    Train at 70%-80% of your MHR (Maximum Heart Rate) for cardio-vascular conditioning.

There is a formula you can use to figure this stuff out:

Get your Maximum Heart Rate by taking the number 226 (for women) or 220 (for men) and subtract your age.

example (mine is):
    226 - 35 = 191

Then figure your Heart Rate Reserve:
    Maximum Heart Rate minus your Resting Heart Rate = HHR (Heart Rate Reserve)

MHR-RHR = HHR

example: 191-67 = 124

Then use these formulas:

Weight Loss:
    Lower Target Heart Rate: (HRR x 60%) + RHR =
    Higher Target Heart Rate: (HRR x 70%) + RHR=

CardioVascular:
    Lower Target Heart Rate: (HRR x 70%) + RHR =
    Higher Target Heart Rate: (HRR x 80%) + RHR =

example:
    My heart rate weight loss zone is 141-153

(124 x 60%) + 67 = 141 for my lower target zone for weight loss
    (124 x 70%) + 67 = 153 for my higher target zone for weight loss

Hope this isn't too complicated and is helpful good luck! :tongue:
  • Jendaya35
    Jendaya35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That was very helpful thank you sooo much, I was just trying to search up all that info yesterday!:flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    :happy: bump and thank you! I've been trying for between 125 and 130 bpm for weight loss, with 145 during HIIT workouts, but if I do the math, it's actually 135 bpm for me. I've been losing what I want to lose at my current figure of 125-130:happy: , so I'm going to reconfigure my TRUE resting heart rate to see what the difference is and see if I can adjust some. :smile:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I was trying to calculate mine this morning and found this free calulator.

http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/target-heart-rate.html

:bigsmile:
  • MiaEllie
    MiaEllie Posts: 84
    Options
    I was trying to calculate mine this morning and found this free calulator.

http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/target-heart-rate.html

:bigsmile:

I just checked your link out. It looks okay. For anyone who chooses to use the link, just make sure that you don't use the automated calculation. Use the manual one and make sure that you figure out and enter your true resting and maximum heart rates. :smile:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I agree I just use this one to calculate my exercise heart rate