Lunch Help!

Options
Hi, so I am currently having chicken/ham and salad wraps for lunch but I am getting a bit bored with it. I have also had a salad for lunch but that too has become old.

I am looking for some lunch inspiration to give me some spice for the middle of the day that is fairly diet friendly.

I live in the middle of Australia and since we are in summer it is about 40 (104 F), so it needs to be light and yummy.

So any people out there got any great ideas?

I am willing to make on the weekend for the week

TIA

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a thermos food flask (or not if you have a microwave at work) and have some summery vegetable soups for lunch.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have that microwave Steam Fresh fish & microed sweet potato or salad.
    The girls at work couldn't believe when I cooked a steak on the sandwich press either... (Wrap in in foil so its quick to clean)

Other than that I go with hot chicken from Woolies with cherry tomatoes and some nuts, or Beans & ham.

On occasion goats cheese filo parcels with spinach pine nuts & beetroot (again heated the filo on sandwich press)

Mine aren't very exciting either... (I do prefer hot food though even though we've had the heatwave lately) :smile:
  • lizstyles2013
    lizstyles2013 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    if your getting bored with the wraps try using other types of breads like a multigrain roll or rye bread. I like having a tuna mix and salad (tuna mixed with diced celery and mayo) or having leftovers from the last nights meal is a good one too.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Use a wrap as a pizza crust: top it with some low fat parmasan, chicken, tuna or lean meat, tomato, onions etc.

Have some yoghurt and oats as lunch, add some fruits in it and, if you require some more protein, some protein powder.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like to make salads with quinoa, brown rice, or whole wheat pasta as the base, then I add chicken or tuna and lots of veggies. Sometimes at the start of the week I'll make just a basic mix of the carb and protein, or else I'll make the salad dry so I can add different dressings throughout the week to keep it fresh (Italian dressing one day, salsa another, etc.).
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I made this the other day and have had it for lunch everyday since, I love it way to much.. hopefully it isn't just me;

1 egg, 1 egg white, some paprika, about 30 grams cottage cheese with herbs, and some mushrooms (today I had a bit of bacon in it which was awesome!) then scrambled it. I then had 2 slices of ryvita crackers with guacamole or salsa and piled the scramble on top, yum yum yum!!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like to mix a dry vegetable or spinach dip mix into a cup of plain greek yogurt to make dip, also great with a bit of avocado blended in. Divide this into 3-4 servings to have with crunchy veggies: mini sweet peppers, carrots, cucumbers, snap peas, tomatoes, etc. Have 2 hard boiled eggs on the side.
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hummus with vegetables to dip - peppers, carrots, cucumber, celery etc.

Dips with chickpea flour crackers (can make a chickpea flatbread and cut into slices), serve with veggies too.

Wholegrain or quinoa bagel with smoked salmon and soft cheese.

Sliced chicken or tofu with harissa sweet potato wedges and salad/veg

Or I recommend thevedge.org for great recipes.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I enjoy doing a rice with oriental veggie mix with shrimp. Carrots with ranch, or a cucumber salad.

For desert, I will have light jell-o and light cool whip to top that off.
  • Tollulah76
    Tollulah76 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in love with any kind of noodles in a soup base with steamed veg, served with chicken, or beef, even prawns. I know its really hot where you are but believe it or not, warm food in hot weather actually cools your core temperature.
    If no noodles on the day, I opt for sushi. And sometimes a really nice salad with beetroot, smoked salmon or palma ham with a mixture of rocket leaves. :-)
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites (I usually pair with a side of veggies & humus or a salad -- try to switch up the dressing/toppings on baby spinach)

Rice Cake
    Tuna

Rice Cake or Ezekial Bread
    Peanut Butter & Banana

Spaghetti Squash with marinara or fetticuini sauce

Shrimp & Cocktail sauce

Salmon & Asparagus

1/2 Chicken Breast & peas

Hope that was of some assistance!
  • SouthernMommy11
    Options
    I use the free app "Food on the table" for meal ideas. It has tons of recipes and makes your grocery list for you. Good luck!
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tevajane
    Tevajane Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Nori wrap sandwiches or Spring rolls? My lunch today was tuna from a pouch wrapped with Onion alfalfa sprouts, avocado, and romaine lettuce leaves in a Nori wrapper. I dipped it in a vinaigrette. Very refreshing and filling too.
  • Tevajane
    Options
    Spring rolls can be made a day in advance if you place a damp paper towel on top of them and cover the container. Get creative and put whatever you want in them or try a Vietnamese version with Shrimp and pork and vermicelli noodles. I have had them filled with shredded lettuce or cabbage and they are so yummy with a fresh leaf of Thai Basil in them. Don't forget to kick it up a notch by dipping them in a spicy peanut sauce.
  • Tevajane
    Options
    Oh now you are making me hungry for a big bowl of PHO.
  • Desert_flower3
    Desert_flower3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Rice, whole wheat pasta, beans, chicken
  • Tevajane
    Options
    I agree. There are a million and one ways to make salads.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been eating a scrambled egg mix that I love;

1 egg, 1 egg white, some paprika, 30g cottage cheese(with herbs), mushrooms, one slice of bacon and then scramble. I either mix in guacamole or salsa or put it on a ryvita cracker on toasted baguette and put the eggs on top. YUM!