Almond milk vs. low fat organic milk?

Options
I've noticed that almond milk is very popular around here. Just curious why so many are using almond milk over low fat cow's milk?

I don't drink that much milk. Mostly, I have 1% organic with cereal with breakfast about 3-4 times a week.

Would there be any benefit to me switching to almond milk? I like the higher protein in cow's milk. Just wondering if I'm missing something.

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it's a personal choice related to being lactose intolerant or something else.

I'm pretty sure any benefit derived from almond milk is related to the lower calories or the fortification with vitamins.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    "When it comes to calories, almond milk has about half the calories of skim milk and the same amount of calcium for strong bones. In the taste department, people like the flavor almond milk offers and prefer this variety with their morning cup of coffee. However, where almond milk really lacks is in protein. Cup for cup, its measly 1 gram of protein doesn't have anything on the protein power of skim or soy milk at 8 grams per cup. Most Americans do get enough protein but often not enough for breakfast. Therefore, if you like the taste and are watching your calories, healthy almond milk can be a great choice. But don't count on it as your protein source to help keep you satisfied throughout the morning."

Source: Milk vs Almond Milk | Which is Healthier?
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-in-milk-versus-almond-milk-v3#ixzz2tPL9H7Ry"
  • yogioats
    yogioats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Reasons to switch may be lower cals or if you cannot tolerate dairy. Personally I like cow's milk more. If milk fits into your goals now, there isn't a real reason to switch.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    Personal choice really. Almond milk, the actual extraction from almonds is pretty much devoid of nutrients and not until it's fortified is it a comparable white beverage drink.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    I'm slightly lactose-intolerant so I'm dairy-free. The almond breeze original is one of my household staples. However, I always have trouble reaching my protein minimum. If you're looking to achieve a muscular body quickly, then I wouldn't switch out dairy milk for almond milk. Definitely try it though if you're trying to stay low-calorie! Almond milk has a great flavor by itself and works well in any pastry recipe.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I personally react to the carrageenan ingredient added to most of those drinks. It causes ibs symptoms in many people. There's lots of infomation on this ingredient, here is one article http://www.naturalnews.com/041866_carrageenan_food_additive_processed_foods.html#

I have made my own nut milks, when I am in the mood.
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What a perfect post!!! I've been thinking about switching to almond milk lately and just this morning was "googling" info. My main reason for wanting to switch is for calorie reasons. Milk is my drink of choice (and will still be using it to make my own yogurt - which I eat alot of) but...........since switching over to raw milk (and now not milking my cow) - storebought milk just doesn't taste good enough to justify the calories.

Looking forward to learning what people think about substitute dairy options.
  • toddis
    Options
    I forgot to mention almond milk tastes awesome in mochas.
    If you are looking to experiment hemp milk is pretty delish.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    I forgot to mention almond milk tastes awesome in mochas.
    If you are looking to experiment hemp milk is pretty delish.

^^ also cashew and coconut milk is pretty great too. out of all the alternative milks, i think soy has the thickest and most decadent consistency. it also has a decent amount of protein. It makes a fantastic creamer for dessert drinks like sweet teas & coffees.
  • rhinoandbitty
    Options
    Unsweetened Almond Milk is low in Carbohydrates, has some Fiber, and NO Sugar! Anything that is Low-Fat has exchanged fat for a very high amount of Sugar. Check out the labels. It is sugar and too many carbohydrates that you need to watch out for, not fat or calories. Low-fat anything spikes your insulin which creates or makes your fat grow bigger. You should only have 15 grams of sugar and 120 grams of carbohydrates, as well as 25 to 30 grams of fiber per day. Forget calories counting and low-fat nonsense--it's old science and most importantly, it is incorrect.

Also, make sure to avoid white, brown sugar as well as the yellow, blue and pink artificial sweeteners. Use instead, Stevia, Xylotal, Malitol.

Hope this helps. I've lost 80 lbs so far and have 25 left to go. It's been so easy to do, I can't believe it. :heart:
  • rhinoandbitty
    Options
    I am sorry to disagree with you. Unsweetened Almond Milk has just as many nutrients as a raw almond. You can make your own by: Using your Cuisinart or blender, throw in 2 cups raw, unsalted almonds and distilled water. Add water to the consistency that you prefer. You can do this with any nut. If you want to sweeten your milk, use Stevia Extract. If you want Chocolate Milk add in 1 to 2 Tbls. of Hershey's 100% Dark & Natural Cocoa (no sugar, 1 carb :smile: ). Yummy

Below are the Nutritional Values for Almond Breeze Unsweetened Plain Milk and Stonyfield Farms Organic 1% Milk is listed below Almond Breeze. Hope this helps make things clearer.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories in Almond Breeze Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk
    Serving Size: 1 cup

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 45.0
    Total Fat 3.5 g
    Saturated Fat 0.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 180.0 mg
    Potassium 230.0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
    Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
    Sugars 0.0 g
    Protein 2.0 g
    Vitamin A 10.0 %
    Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
    Vitamin B-6 0.0 %
    Vitamin C 0.0 %
    Vitamin D 25.0 %
    Vitamin E 50.0 %
    Calcium 20.0 %
    Copper 0.0 %
    Folate 0.0 %
    Iron 2.0 %
    Magnesium 4.0 %
    Manganese 0.0 %
    Niacin 0.0 %
    Pantothenic Acid 0.0 %
    Phosphorus 4.0 %
    Riboflavin 0.0 %
    Selenium 0.0 %
    Thiamin 0.0 %
    Zinc 0.0 %

Stonyfield Farm
    Organic Reduced Fat Milk
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 cup (240ml)
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 45
    Calories 130

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 5g 8%
    Saturated Fat 3g 15%
    Cholesterol 20mg 7%
    Sodium 125mg 5%
    Total Carbohydrate 13g 4%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 12g
    Protein 8g
    Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 30% Iron 0%
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    I am sorry to disagree with you. Unsweetened Almond Milk has just as many nutrients as a raw almond. You can make your own by: Using your Cuisinart or blender, throw in 2 cups raw, unsalted almonds and distilled water. Add water to the consistency that you prefer. You can do this with any nut. If you want to sweeten your milk, use Stevia Extract. If you want Chocolate Milk add in 1 to 2 Tbls. of Hershey's 100% Dark & Natural Cocoa (no sugar, 1 carb :smile: ). Yummy

Below are the Nutritional Values for Almond Breeze Unsweetened Plain Milk and Stonyfield Farms Organic 1% Milk is listed below Almond Breeze. Hope this helps make things clearer.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories in Almond Breeze Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk
    Serving Size: 1 cup

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 45.0
    Total Fat 3.5 g
    Saturated Fat 0.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 180.0 mg
    Potassium 230.0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
    Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
    Sugars 0.0 g
    Protein 2.0 g
    Vitamin A 10.0 %
    Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
    Vitamin B-6 0.0 %
    Vitamin C 0.0 %
    Vitamin D 25.0 %
    Vitamin E 50.0 %
    Calcium 20.0 %
    Copper 0.0 %
    Folate 0.0 %
    Iron 2.0 %
    Magnesium 4.0 %
    Manganese 0.0 %
    Niacin 0.0 %
    Pantothenic Acid 0.0 %
    Phosphorus 4.0 %
    Riboflavin 0.0 %
    Selenium 0.0 %
    Thiamin 0.0 %
    Zinc 0.0 %

Stonyfield Farm
    Organic Reduced Fat Milk
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 cup (240ml)
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 45
    Calories 130

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 5g 8%
    Saturated Fat 3g 15%
    Cholesterol 20mg 7%
    Sodium 125mg 5%
    Total Carbohydrate 13g 4%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 12g
    Protein 8g
    Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 30% Iron 0%

True almond milk lover right there. ^^^ :tongue:
  • supra_driven
    supra_driven Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Each has its purpose I suppose. When I want to squeeze in a bowl of cereal I use almond milk because of how low the calories are. Also, when you are on a low carb diet, almond milk has very little carbs. Most of it is fat.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Almond Breeze unsweetened almond coconut milk is nice for smoothies and with steel cut oatmeal.
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Depends upon how you feel about dairy. I strive for a 95% vegan lifestyle, partially to avoid consuming animal products, but the other half is the way i feel when I consume it. Eliminating dairy from my diet makes me feel better; my acid reflux disappeared (i used to get it chronically... Mark Bittman also experienced this, as he wrote in his column), i lost weight, i dont get phlemmy, etc.

If you really sit back and think about milk products, how essential are they? Milk is produced to help us grow at birth, but we stop consuming it within the first couple of years of life. It seems off to then begin consuming a cow's milk, which is produced naturally to raise calves... Isn't super logical; just because something is there to grab and tastes 'good' doesnt mean its necessary.

I make my own almond milk a couple times a week and love it. Lower calorie and great nutrition stats. Give it a try!
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Should try soy milk,its taste better and great choice for those goes vegan
  • toddis
    Options
    Ingredients to Almond Breeze Unsweetened:
    ALMONDMILK (FILTERED WATER, ALMONDS), CALCIUM CARBONATE, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CARRAGEENAN, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, NATURAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2 AND D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E).

Stoneyfield:
    ORGANIC GRADE A FAT FREE MILK, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D3.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I just started using almond milk simply because it has 30 cals a cup while 1% has 110. I mostly use it for making oatmeal, smoothies, and stuff like that. I'm not really one to just drink a glass of milk. Almond milk also has a lot of calcium (fortified with it, I think) and I like it in my coffee.

It is inferior to regular milk as far as protein goes though. Which I get in other ways, so I don't mourn that too much. I get the Silk vanilla unsweetened kind.
  • MissSarahkins
    Options
    I love almond milk. I think it's a personal choice. I don't think I'm lactose intolerant but milk makes me really congested.
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I choose almond milk because it is very thin. I have texture issues (don't eat much dairy at all due to this) and find that milk, even 1% or skim milk, has a thick "taste" and it grosses me out because I feel like I can feel the "fat" in my mouth. Almond milk has a much more watery consistency that I prefer.

It also doesn't taste like milk. I don't like the Silk brands because they have a gross after taste to me and are thicker, but I really like the earth's own kind. I drink the unsweetened almond milk- I use it in everything from coffee to soups. I don't drink a ton of it, but the containers last a couple of months before expiring, so even though they are $4 per container, I only go through one every six weeks.

Plus, you can't beat the low calories in it! And you can make your own, without having to go and milk a cow ;)