Senior citizen fitness and weight loss

Options
Just turned 74, female, out of shape and overweight. Geez, depressing. After a health scare that showed potential congestive heart failure, silent heart attack, and abnormal exercise stress test, all of which thankfully proved not to be the case, I had the incentive to do something about it, instead of just figuring it was all part of getting old. I had always been active, and enjoyed travel, X-country skiing, hiking and bicycling, but had turned into a couch potato. The last year or so I was bothered by extreme fatigue and was exhausted just walking the dog (those being the symptoms which had taken me to my doctor, resulting in an abnormal EKG). So, once I got the go ahead to start a fitness program, with my heart declared sound, I joined a gym and started logging every grape and cracker I ate. I've been doing this since mid-December, and have scrupulously spent and hour or so at the gym 6 days a week. I do 30 minutes on a recumbent bike, and am now where I can maintain 80-85 rpms at a mid-effort setting. I then do upper body strength training 3 times a week, alternating with lower body 3 times a week, 3 sets of 10 reps each, gradually increasing the weight/resistance. In about 10 weeks I've lost about 25 pounds, I no longer need a nap in the middle of the afternoon, the extreme fatigue is going (I still don't have the energy I used to, but what the heck, I'm still 74), and walking has become easy. I suppose I will have to maintain this program for the rest of my life, since I have always regained any weight that I've lost. But at least I got a second chance.

Would enjoying exchanging stories with other "senior citizens. :happy:

Replies

• jannarciso
    jannarciso Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your successes, Poohbah4! While I am not a Senior Citizen in your eyes (I am 53 yo), my health is that of one. You have given me the incentive to get busy taking care of me. I have 4 out of 5 markers for Metabolic Syndrome (my BP is the only thing in a normal range). I use bone on bone arthritis in my left ankle as an excuse not to be active, but no more. If you can get the results you have in 2 months, what is my excuse? Thank you, Poohbah4, you are my hero!:flowerforyou:
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I am 61 and had potential health problems. I decided to change things around and I have. I am no longer taking any medication. Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done. It can be at any age. It gets easier as you go and I have noticed so many benefits. I can now get down on the floor and get up with out any problems and I move so much better.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    With your arthritis, you might start swimming or aquacize. I hate water, so I went with the bike.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and am focused on fitness and weight management. I cycle 15-20 miles daily and in inclement weather, head for the gym. I played alot of sports in highschool and college, including field hockey. As a young adult I played tennis. Needless to say my knees took a beating over the years.

In addition to cycling, I enjoy hiking and swimming.

Please feel free to add me if you have a public food and exercise diary and use t he diaries daily. I also recommend reading my profile first so that we are "compatible".
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Good for you poohbah! Although I am not a senior, I am 45, I found your story to be truly inspirational! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Hi, while I'm not a senior citizen, I will turn 50 in just a few weeks. Over the past year I have become much more committed to a daily routine which includes a good diet and lots of exercise. My goal is to grow old and stay as healthy as possible with my hubby.

You are an inspiration! Congratulations on you successes; many more are sure to follow :smile:
  • jannarciso
    jannarciso Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Water and I not the best of friends. Actually, I would love to do water aerobics, but the class takes place at the time I am working, so no go. I have joined a gym, I just have to get up and go! With the constant snow storms we have been getting, I lose my momentum in going (I am NOT a fan of snow). I WILL do it! I WILL go!
  • guamlite
    guamlite Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    OMG, I just love your post, what a great inspiration for young & seniors!
    I'm a senior and proud of it but like your story and probably so many of us, blaming it on just plain ole 'getting older' syndrome, LOL!

I had my 6 month blood test done in November 2013 and found out that I am now a pre-diabetic.......I'm tooooo vain and can't see losing a limb so I'm doing something about it. Started a Diabetic class and learning how to eat healthy, being from the islands, we eat steam white rice at least twice a day and on good days 3 times a day because I would take that rice and make fried rice (yum). But now steam white rice is for celebrating and limited portion.

I started MFP late January 2014 after my diabetic class and have been so surprised on how much I really ate (as far as calories goes) and I was so-called watchful on all I ate (right.....watch it go in my mouth & chomp chomp it goes down).

I've started doing Zumba Gold low intensity/for seniors.........I have 2 left feet but it's slow enough for me to get the steps down and I'm almost looking like I can cha-cha!!!

Thank you for the inspiration, I know now that I'm not the only Ole Gal on the block !!!

Please feel free to add me to your friends list, I love looking at different ways to make a meal on everyone's Diary.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    That was inspirational! I'm 60 and despairing over ever breaking my bad habits. I know what it takes, I just can't seem to keep a consistent effort going.

Yes I can! Nothing to it but to do it, right?
  • Flowerpot2u
    Flowerpot2u Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    well here I go again...this time I will accomplish this program, I am 69 years young and need a good group of friends...
  • Angelic1st
    Angelic1st Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm in the same fix except I take meds for bp and have sporadic knee, hip, and lower back pain. I'm 58, but getting close to being a senior and desire to get there as healthy and fit as I possibly can. Add me as a friend.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your inspiring story with us. Just what I needed to hear!
  • howejoyous
    howejoyous Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to join this community. I have been reluctant to post on facebook--feeling too exposed, I guess--but feel like this is a place where I can share with others who have similar goals. I am a woman, 64 years old. I live in a place with cold, snowy winters which has kept me indoors, sedentary, and, unfortunately, eating. I have 60 lbs as a goal for weight loss. I started using MFP 6 weeks ago and have been encouraged by small weekly losses.

Last year I was struggling with heart palpitations upon exertion and with bursitis, knee and ankle pain. I even bought a cane to aid in walking and felt scared to exert myself doing any kind of physical work. My family has a history of heart failure and diabetes, and I felt like a walking time bomb. In Jan 2013 my husband and I were desperate to lower our cholesterol levels and our blood pressures and decided to do something radical--and see if it helped. We adopted a vegetarian diet and cut out nearly all processed foods. Feeling so much better this year, I signed onto MFP and gradually began counting calories and exercising.

I honestly am just beginning to feel like I am reversing my aging -- of course the number still goes up -- but I am now swimming 5 days a week, and using a treadmill and elliptical machine 3x a week. I bought a bike last year (which I thought might be a foolish notion at the age of 64--but I did it anyway) and have recently been using it in the lovely spring weather. No more heart palpitations, or muscle issues, and no cane. Hooray.

I would like to share, and hear inspiring stories about living a fuller life as we age. I want to be even more active from this point on.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do not have inspiring story of weight loss, but have been using MFP for about 2 years, it does work

My BP & cholesterol go up & down, I am not vegetarian, but do not always eat meat / fish everyday

I try & walk daily, just a couple of miles, weather permitting

I think just healthy eating helps enormously, as does exercise, no need for running a marathon, just fresh air & sunshine

PS I am 71 and a bloke
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Good for all of you. I'm 67 and in probably the best shape of my life. I've always exercised, with breaks perioically, but when my mom died last year, I started at a gym down the block, took an intro six month stength training program with a personal trainer, then started doing classes abotu 5 times a week. I lost 25 pounds

I'm luckyk not to have any congentital or chronic problems - just a little age related balance problems that I take yoga for.

This year I started training to be a group fitnes instructor specializing in Zumba. I plan to specialize in working with an older population. People who exercise regularly lilve two to four years longer than those who don't and it keeps your brain working as well.

I have one friend who tells me that I sweat too much, but she weighs 199, has smoking related lung and heart problems and has cancer twice. I'll take sweating over that any time.

I say power to us!! :laugh:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Awesome inspirational post!! Congratulations!! I'm not a senior, but at 55 I'm not a spring chicken either! It's so important to stay active all of your life!!!!!
  • Taymate
    Taymate Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Poobah....you're SUCH an inspiration and I loved reading your story! I'm 74 (profile pic was taken last December) and after being on a modified Paleo diet for over a year, I got stupid and started adding little treats to it thinking I could control them. NOT!!! One cookie led to two and then a piece of cake at a party, then two glasses of wine at a wedding and bla bla bla! Before I get completely out of whack and gain back all the weight I lost, I've started back on the "modified Paleo diet" with NO treats plus 3 visits to the gym instead of 2 every week. (I exercise with DVDs at home 3 nights a week, taking one day off) I have no health issues, take no medications, and feel 10 years younger than I am, thanks to Paleo. I'm a firm believer that sugar and processed foods are killers so, why can't I remembe that whenver I see cake, pies, cookies, or wine?