Help with eating more!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Ok, I know what am I doing wrong. I am eating approximately 925 cal a day and I excercise which puts me at a 500+ cal deficit. The problem is, I am not hungry for more. I am eating basically the same menu everyday because that's what I need to do to stay on track. I'll show you what I eat (everyday:-))

Breakfast: banana, boiled egg, and tee w/ light cream and 2 sugars (can't give that up!)
Lunch: FiberOne english muffin w/ 1 tbsp real (no sugar) peanut butter, 60 cal yogurt
Snack: granny smith apple
Dinner: 1 gortons frozen grilled fish fillet, green giant healthy vision or weight veges (all) and another Fiber one english muffin to sop up the sauce.

This menu really does fill me up. SOmetimes before bed I get hungry, but I do not eat after dinner. I also walk/jog everyday. I burn about 285 cal from this.

I need to loose about 50 lbs and I am averaging about 2 lbs a week.

When I go to add more calories, usually I've maxed on protein and carbs (1200 cal a day) - so what can I add that doesn't put me over?

Thanks for the help,
Wendy
77508.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• teacher3506
    teacher3506 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know what am I doing wrong. I am eating approximately 925 cal a day and I excercise which puts me at a 500+ cal deficit. The problem is, I am not hungry for more. I am eating basically the same menu everyday because that's what I need to do to stay on track. I'll show you what I eat (everyday:-))

Breakfast: banana, boiled egg, and tee w/ light cream and 2 sugars (can't give that up!)
    Lunch: FiberOne english muffin w/ 1 tbsp real (no sugar) peanut butter, 60 cal yogurt
    Snack: granny smith apple
    Dinner: 1 gortons frozen grilled fish fillet, green giant healthy vision or weight veges (all) and another Fiber one english muffin to sop up the sauce.

This menu really does fill me up. SOmetimes before bed I get hungry, but I do not eat after dinner. I also walk/jog everyday. I burn about 285 cal from this.

I need to loose about 50 lbs and I am averaging about 2 lbs a week.

When I go to add more calories, usually I've maxed on protein and carbs (1200 cal a day) - so what can I add that doesn't put me over?

Thanks for the help,
    Wendy
    77508.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week- is great ! I am jelous, but:
    - it is very fast loss-you will loose fat so fast that you skin will not have a chance to catch up; you'll have
    terrible sagging skin all over. If you have money to do plastic surgery afterwards, than that is not an
    issue.
    -you will not be able to leave your live on 900-1200 cals a day. It is lower than your BMR !!! Especially
    with exersises. So, once you'll start adding more food to your maintanance calories, your body will not
    let them go :sad:
    Eat lots of Green leafy vegies and beets. Eat berries, pinapple, guava. eat nuts and sunflowerseeds.
    :drinker:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If you're only eating 925 calories a day, you're already at a huge deficit. Add exercise to that, and you've set yourself up for starvation mode. One of the primary symptoms of starvation mode is lack of appetite. (this is extreme, too . . .when I was really undereating I had weird feelings about food. . .almost grossed out by it.)

Here's my advice: follow a calorie suggestion given here. If you earn exercise calories, eat some or most of them. (they're not "extra". . .they're balancing.)

Add in snacks between breakfast and lunch and perhaps one after dinner. This will also serve to rev up your metabolism by not putting it in a "mini-famine" mode between your meals. At first, it will be very difficult to eat a healthier amount of calories. . .it will get easier. I did protein smoothies and almond milk to up my calories.

Long term, there are lots of risks to restricting your calories that severely. In short, it causes your body to utilize lean body tissue for energy (muscles. . .and remember, your heart is a muscle) rather than utilize the fat stores you're trying to drop.

:flowerforyou:
  • OMISALJ
    OMISALJ Posts: 69
    Options
    I WAS THE SAME WAY LIKE YOU. I WAS EATING 500 CALORIES A DAY, AND NOT EVEN EXERCISING. I LOST WEIGHT AT ABOUT 1-1.5 LBS A WEEK. AND I WASN'T FEELING HUNGRY. THEN MY HAIR STARTED FALLING OUT A BIT MORE THAN USUAL. I UPPED MY CALORIES SLOWLY BACK TO 1000 AND THEN IN LIKE A WEEK I GAINED 5 LBS.

BREAKFAST/LUNCH/DINNER
    1/2 CUP SKIM MILK
    3/4 HONEY BUNCHES OF OATS CEREAL
    1 SLICE CHALLAH BREAD
    1 TBSP FAT FREE CREAM CHEESE

CHALLAH ROLL
    TURKEY, CHEESE
    BANANA
    DOLE FRUIT CUP

1 CUP PASTA
    WATERMELON

IT WAS NOT EASY IN THE BEGINNING, BUT IT BEST TO TRY TO EAT THE SAME CALORIES EVERYDAY INSTEAD INSTEAD OF YOYOING. ALSO EAT SMALLER MEALS FURTHER APART AND LOTS OF WATER

GOOD LUCK
  • teacher3506
    teacher3506 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you're only eating 925 calories a day, you're already at a huge deficit. Add exercise to that, and you've set yourself up for starvation mode. One of the primary symptoms of starvation mode is lack of appetite. (this is extreme, too . . .when I was really undereating I had weird feelings about food. . .almost grossed out by it.)

Here's my advice: follow a calorie suggestion given here. If you earn exercise calories, eat some or most of them. (they're not "extra". . .they're balancing.)

Add in snacks between breakfast and lunch and perhaps one after dinner. This will also serve to rev up your metabolism by not putting it in a "mini-famine" mode between your meals. At first, it will be very difficult to eat a healthier amount of calories. . .it will get easier. I did protein smoothies and almond milk to up my calories.

Long term, there are lots of risks to restricting your calories that severely. In short, it causes your body to utilize lean body tissue for energy (muscles. . .and remember, your heart is a muscle) rather than utilize the fat stores you're trying to drop.

:flowerforyou:

So, it is ok to go over the limits set on the food diary? I am usually already at the max for proteins, but if I am to go over, that would probably be the best way to do it...right??

wm
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I've found that for me, the ratios given automatically by MFP are too high in carbs and too low in protein. I've reset my percentages based on some nutrition research and guidance from my trainer. (I'm at 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat. . .but everybody's needs are different.)

I don't worry too much if I'm not exactly on on these nutrients. I haven't had a "perfect" day there yet, but I'm still losing inches.:flowerforyou:

Obviously, if you're incredibly over or under on a micronutrient that's a concern, but we're aiming for a balance not perfection.
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    For me the keys have been what has already been mentioned: 5 smaller meals, lots of water, eating (balancing) my exercise calories. I know it is so counter-intuitive to eat "more" when you're trying to "lose" weight but if you think of making it something that will last for a lifetime rather than only until you see numbers change on a scale, I think it helps make it somewhat more do-able.

As for WHAT to eat: for me the key is to keep it "real" meaning one ingredient, whole foods (all fruits, vegetables, lean meats). I hit my calorie goals with nuts (esp almonds) and other mono-unsaturated fats like small amounts of avocados or dark chocolate (the key is watching portion control which is where the MFP calculator helps me most).

Like you, I have definitely tried to eat the same thing every day but I find that sets me up for a binge b/c my body craves a variety of nutrients (and my head craves a variety of food). So, I also use the MFP calculator to PRE-plan my meals. I find that that way I can adjust servings or choices to make the numbers work.

I almost always go over on protein and I am okay with that. I try to stay within the range for carbs and fats b/c my observation has been that when my carbs go up (since I love carbs so much), so does my weight. It is a daily process and learning curve for me. Some days I hit every goal I have but others are just set-backs and I am back to wrestling my old thinking of wanting to throw in the towel. That is where the support of MFPers helps so much!

Good luck to you!
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    on most days, i usually have this problem because i really don't eat much "processed" foods other than lean proteins (deli meats), bread, and other organic all natural snacks.

so... if i want a salad for dinner, i add avacado, beans, chicken.. anything to up my fat and calories.

i snack on nuts, such as UNSALTED raw almonds.

i love love love (did i mention love?) peanut butter! Smucker's all natural or any kind of organic really packs in those calories. (200 for 2 tbsp. - dip an apple in it and you're good to go, or top your much loved english muffin off with some. yummy!)

I also just read a book called "What To Eat" - it gives great insight. i devoured the book in like 2 days!:tongue:
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options

Thanks for that! It totally clicked with me when you said that. I was still trying to wrap my head around the article I read yesterday.
  • deneuve39
    Options
    Your will power is truly impressive! I would advise you to eat more fruits and veggies though. Maybe add an apple to your snack or eat a salad for lunch.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    My mom has this issue.

I suggested to her drinking some of her calories....like juice, etc.
    I know eating fruits is better but she is really struggling with eating what she needs to.