Could you do a plant based diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    After watching all of the popular documentaries on this, my husband and I tried being vegan for about six weeks a couple of years ago. It went really well overall, though I have to applaud him for even trying since he LOVES meat. It's not something he decided to stick with, even though he acknowledged that he felt better. I think I could have stuck with it if he did too-it would just be harder to be going it alone. And I think we would have been more likely to settle into vegetarian rather than vegan just because of yogurt. (Oh, and now I'm liking eggs--really just as of last week--so that would keep me from being vegan now too.)
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I went vegie for a year results as follows.

More trumping (actually alot more trumping)
    Eyes that turn people to stone when they eat a bacon sandwich (proper english bacon not that frazzled stuff the rest of the world seems to eat.
    I put weight on due to all the pasta (not much mind)

Then at Christmas someone brought a full on game-pie and i devoured half of in about 20 mins, that was the end of the that. In the end i dont think it made much difference apart from i cant eat much red meat nowdays.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Plant based? Sure.
    Vegetarian or vegan? I've done vegetarian, and no, I don't think I'd do it again.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Do I have the testicular fortitude to put myself through, and endure such torture? Of course. Would I ever want to? No! I love meat.

Rigger

Ya gotta be hung to go vegan? Sounds controversial. ;-)

Nrigger always stirring the pot...
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I tried a vegan diet for 2 months. It was the worst I've ever felt. I did it one month- quit, researched more, tried it a "healthier" way for a month and quit again. Google "recovering vegan." There are a lot of stories of how plant-based dieters have troubles.

I love the idea of being vegan because I like the idea of not harming any animals. I just couldn't function on the diet. I feel better eating some meat, eggs and dairy.

If you're considering it- good luck. I hope your experience isn't as bad as mine was. It seems some people do well on it.
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I could just live off legumes,veggies and fruit and healthy breads etc. but I enjoy these foods a lot. I also enjoy dairy and some processed food. I'm not eating meat generally but I ate some chicken with my souvlaki.

I like balance more. :)
  • missyahall2
    missyahall2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    OP, nothing wrong with a vegan diet...I couldn't/wouldn't want to do it, but there's nothing wrong with...just make sure you know how to get the nutrients you will be missing from eating meat/seafood/poultry. Those things you are eliminating provide a lot of nutrition and those nutrients need to be found elsewhere. Simply switching over to a vegan diet doesn't mean you're automatically super healthy...I know lots of vegetarians and vegans who do not get proper nutrition.

Also Watch your iron and you will likely have to take B-12 supplements.
    [/quote]

^^^This
    I was a vegetarian for 10 years and did not watch my iron levels. My doctor basically told me that I needed to incorporate meat back into my diet because I had given myself anemia. I tried to take the supplements but I hated the taste. Now the taste of steak...me likey.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I could, but I don't see any good reason as to why I should.
    ^^ditto
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I guess I could if I had to since I LOVE fruit and veggies, but I don't have to, and I'm glad for that since I LOVE meat and cheese.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    no
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The diet you are talking about is vegan. You can follow a "plant-based diet" and still eat meat and dairy. You just make the majority of your foods plants. Meat is an occasional to a few times a week food, and dairy is occasional or not consumed.

Look up Nutritarian - thats a plant based diet that does include meat, just in small amounts.
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    LovingLifeInCalifornia Posts: 9,362 Member
    Options
    So I've done a lot of research on plant based diets and was wondering if anyone here could do one?

That would mean giving up the following-> no meat of any kind no diary meaning no milk, cheese,

And living off beans, legumes, veggies, and fruit, and drink things like almond milk. And eating stuff like ezekiel cereal etc for carbs

Could you do it?

I have done it in the past. It's hard living with meat eaters, though. I re-booted and started again in February, but I had two separate meat meals in the last 6 weeks.

The dairy is a little easier to give up. Even though I have always loved dairy, the last few years, it's gotten more difficult as I seem to have an even greater intolerance to it. Taking lactaid pills all day long was a sign that something needed to go. I started with dairy.