Twinkletoes...

Options
I've been doing my own version of circuit training the last little while: 5 minute sprint on the elliptical, 5 minutes of Abs/Strength, for approximately 30 minutes. I love it.

Well, tonight, while carrying my somewhat grumpy and flailing 4 year old daughter upstairs, I turned around to return to the main floor, slipped and fell down 5 stairs (carpeted, thank goodness). My daughter is fine (a bigger thank goodness), aside from saying that her little nose hurts. I had the wind completely knocked out of me (I've never been able to use that expression in relation to myself before...I don't recommend it at all), landed on my upper/middle back. My husband, after getting over his panic, gave me Ibuprofen. I can breath deeply, and move, but like expected, my back is very stiff and sore and will be worse tomorrow, and I tried looking in the mirror and have some nice bruises developing.

So, my question is, since I can guarantee that I can't do my planned workout, or the DVD's that I have...what can I do??? If you had a sore back, how would you get exercise? Can I still "walk" on the elliptical, on the lowest setting? (Obviously no crunches for me...)

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Take...it...easy. Push yourself and your setback can be worse, especially with your back. I'd just watch my calories and rest for a day or two. Good luck.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I would definitely take a couple of days off. You don't want to push it at all hunny. Tomorrow may tell you that itself though. I'm so glad your daughter is okay and that you weren't more seriously injured. :o( I survive on my chiropractor for all of my little graceful movements, he makes me right as rain! :o) I hope your back feels better ASAP! :o) :flowerforyou:
  • midmomike2
    Options
    And the judges score...just kidding....you've earned at least a day or 2 of rest, enjoy and get well! :smile:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    And the judges score...just kidding....you've earned at least a day or 2 of rest, enjoy and get well! :smile:
    It is always that darn german judge!
  • HidyleDidyle
    Options
    Well...I guess the verdict is in! One lazy day coming up (or two). I'm disappointed though, I'm on a roll (apparently literally). Thanks for the encouragement! I appreciate it.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Definately rest for two days. Take regular Ibuprofen, use heat packs. No harm in giving your body some TLC.
  • amrenee1976
    Options
    I agree with all prior posts, take it easy. If you exercise you take the risk of worse injury. see how u feel thursday
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    You can do some GENTLE stretching to keep from stiffening up. Some movement will also keep the blood flowing and help the body "remove" the bruises quicker. If anything is painfull don't do it. Might also try a bath with epsom salts.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    and make sure you ice it for a couple of days AND THEN heat it a couple of days...your back is going to swell (trust me, i just injured myself too, and sat for way to long at the doctors)...2 regular ibuprofen 3 times a day for the inflamation...it's been a week for me and I'm still not sleeping through the night...sports rub is amazing...you can get cold and hot stuff...good luck!