Vegans & Vegetarians! Where do you get your protein?

Options
Hey vegans, vegetarians, and other MFP nutrition enthusiasts,

I've noticed after logging on myfitnesspal that I'm having trouble reaching my protein minimum. Although I'm a non-dairy pescetarian, I don't have the $$ to eat seafood all the time (I'm on a college student budget). I'm eating vegan most days.

Are there any foods that you eat regularly for protein?

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    100% Whole Wheat Bread
    2% Milk
    Nuts and nut butters, as well as natural peanut butter
    Greek yogurt
    Beans
    Tofu
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    lentils, peanut butter, black beans
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Quark, cottage cheese, beans, mock meat, quinoa,

Dried bans are super cheap, can be used in lots of dishes and fairly good protein.

Also look into just getting all 26 amino acids.

Some protein powders can be fairly cheap too for an extra boost.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, seeds, lentils, chickpeas, beans, bean burgers, spinach, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta, brown rice, couscous, quinoa, bulghur, potatoes, corn, peas, humous, oats, whole grain cereals, protein powders, oat milk, nut milks, soy yoghurt, tofu, "faux meats", broccoli, bananas, seitan, tempeh... Do you want me to carry on?
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, seeds, lentils, chickpeas, beans, bean burgers, spinach, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta, brown rice, couscous, quinoa, bulghur, potatoes, corn, peas, humous, oats, whole grain cereals, protein powders, oat milk, nut milks, soy yoghurt, tofu, "faux meats", broccoli, bananas, seitan, tempeh... Do you want me to carry on?

*o* Are there specific meals that you make that are protein-concentrated?
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that we have a "protein myth" circulating -- i.e., that you don't need a ton of protein to survive, grow muscles, etc. You can also find protein in green vegetables, beans & tofu. Good luck to you! :drinker:
  • angelaj75
    Options
    I am not vegan or Vegetarian but I cannot have whey or soy protein so I use the following protein powders as a supplement to my foods:
    Dymatize Elite Egg Protein and GNC Egg Protein

I also use Paleo Protein which is egg and beef but that obviously would not be suitable for you.

Angela
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    It's my understanding that we have a "protein myth" circulating -- i.e., that you don't need a ton of protein to survive, grow muscles, etc. You can also find protein in green vegetables, beans & tofu. Good luck to you! :drinker:

...Hm, true. I've never paid attention to my protein count until the website and have been just fine.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Food that's where I get mine from
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    Food that's where I get mine from
    :flowerforyou:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I eat this stuff called food. Beans are a staple. Cheap.
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Soy products,legumes & greenies
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

*o* Are there specific meals that you make that are protein-concentrated?

I don't think anyone has mentioned eggs, which are inexpensive and should be OK for a nondairy pescetarian (I'm assuming nondairy = nonlacto, not non-lacto & non-ovo).

As for specific meals, the list goes on forever, like the one above with the ingredients.

Some of my recent meals that should fit your requirements (although it would help if you defined "protein-concentrated," since different people have different needs, and some people regularly trot out recommendations for grams per pound of body weight or lean mass that seem to be based on studies with elite-level athletes doing heavy lifting. Personally, my minimum goal is 47 g a day, I try to hit 55, and am very happy if I make it to 70):

A salad that included about 2.5 oz of cooked white beans, about a third-cup of cooked beets. a quarter pound of tomatoes, 2 1/2 cups of salad greens, with a bit more than 2 oz of tortilla chips and mini (100 cal) container of guacamole on the side got me 16 g of protein for about 600 calories. Ditching the guacamole and boosting the amount of beans would have made it more protein-intensive for the calories.

A 10 oz bowl of lentil soup and a 3.2 oz piece of multigrain flatbread (I got mine at a casual restaurant chain, but you should be able to find something similar at the grocery store, or even make lentil soup yourself -- chop up onions, garlic, carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, or whatever veg you like, saute in oil, add the lentils and water or broth, cook until lentils are done. 24 gram of protein for about 500 calories. Top with soy yogurt for more protein (I eat dairy, so I don't know the protein counts for soy yogurt, or what it tastes like.)

Tofu & veggie stir-fry over brown rice with Bragg's amino acids (instead of soy sauce). I buy mine at local vegan-friendly carry-out, but based on my estimate that it uses 6 oz of extra firm tofu, 2 cups of cooked brown rice, and about three-quarter cup of cooked veggies, with ginger, garlic, a little oil, and about half a tablespoon of Bragg's, I'm getting 31 grams of protein for 680 calories.

A can of cooked white beans mixed with a 3.75 oz tin of sardines packed in hot sauce (look for sales on canned sardines; I occasionally find them for $1). 36 g of protein for 369 calories. (I also had an apple, for another 54 calories, but no protein.)

Having a glass of soymilk with any of these meals would boost the protein counts. (I'm not sure of the exact count, because I mostly drink dairy milk and almond or almond-coconut milk, but almond milk isn't a very good protein source.)
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont amazing advice. thanks!
  • Nimroth
    Options
    Love this site for protein info: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/

My protein comes from eggs, dairy (cheese/cottage cheese and milk), yogurt, nuts and seeds (almonds and hemp seeds mainly), beans, limited quorn (I don't really like it), very occasional fish (like once every 2 weeks), peas (raw mange tout are a great snack). I also drink a protein shake daily (and 2 on workout days) but my protein goal is relatively high I think, because I'm following a weightlifting programme.

I think my diary is open if you want to have a nosy
  • mgallop1
    Options
    bump because i'm terrible at this too!
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    I personally don't think you need to watch your protein intake unless you are trying to build muscle.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian but eggs, kidney beans, chick peas, white beans, black beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh, spinach, broccoli, greek yogurt, cheese, nut butters, nuts, seeds.
  • ModQuad
    Options
    Vegetarian:
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Eggs
    Egg whites

Vegan:
    Tofu

I try to chose carbohydrates like beans and quinoa that are high in protein, but I avoid considering them the "protein" component of my balanced meals. Same with fats like nuts, seeds, and nut/seed butters. I might just add a little less tofu or greek yogurt to a dish that has a protein rich fat or carb.

You can find protein supplements that are vegan friendly. Whey protein is dairy based but there are hemp protein powders and other nut/seed based options.
  • ffargynnig
    ffargynnig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Your a fish eater so canned Tuna is your "bread and butter" Its CHEAP! and has lots of protein!