PALEO AND CALORIES?!

Options
I'm curious to know more about how the paleo world works when it comes to calorie counting.

I currently am doing a modified version of paleo (I occasionally have some greek yogurt and parmesan cheese, but I'm trying to cut that out also). I count my calories, but I was reading several websites that show the guidelines of a paleo diet, and some say to eat as much vegetables and lean meat as you want in a day! It just doesn't make much sense to me. Meat has a butt load of calories! Should I live by this? Is there a secret about meat and vegetable calories that I'm missing?

*Did I mention that I'm still trying to lose weight? I'm not sure if that makes a difference, because I suppose some people that are living paleo probably are just doing it to stay healthy and maintain weight... or even gain.

Help me out!

Replies

• jannarciso
    jannarciso Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing Paleo. Meat is very filling, and you should still watch your portions. As far as vegetables, they are very low in calories, so not an issue. While losing weight, we should avoid starchy vegetables (sweet potato and winter squashes), as they can stall weight loss. So you are left with a lot of green vegetables. I am counting calories since I need to be aware of what I am eating.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I would definitely count my calories at first and if I felt like that eating plan is working for me you could try going without counting and see how you do. I try to have one serving 4-6 oz of lean protein, 1-2 servings of veggies and a 1/2-1 cup of carb/grain at each lunch / dinner, and fill in the rest of the calories with a large breakfast, snacks, and dessert.

(BTW - I'm not sure why anyone would ever want to eat this way) Make sure to eat enough spinach and other calcium laden veggies to meet your calcium requirements, and try to take them with Vitamin D, which you need to absorb the calcium. I think a lot of women are setting themselves up for osteoporosis disaster cutting dairy from their diets, but I'm not a scientist so take that for what it's worth LOL.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know more about how the paleo world works when it comes to calorie counting.

I currently am doing a modified version of paleo (I occasionally have some greek yogurt and parmesan cheese, but I'm trying to cut that out also). I count my calories, but I was reading several websites that show the guidelines of a paleo diet, and some say to eat as much vegetables and lean meat as you want in a day! It just doesn't make much sense to me. Meat has a butt load of calories! Should I live by this? Is there a secret about meat and vegetable calories that I'm missing?

*Did I mention that I'm still trying to lose weight? I'm not sure if that makes a difference, because I suppose some people that are living paleo probably are just doing it to stay healthy and maintain weight... or even gain.

Help me out!
    Actually quite a bit of meat has lower fat content and the calories aren't bad anyway considering the return in protein. It's the high protein and abundance of vegetables that make eating in excess very hard to do, unless you have some kind of really low calorie threshold. Record the calorie just to be sure. It's a very restrictive diet for a lot of people and if you find that it is for you, then there is no crime adding food you like back in because finding a diet you like is probably the most important aspect about your calorie needs that will need to be maintained for the rest of your life. Personally I like bread, pasta, cheese, dairy far too much to even believe that if a cave man ever knocked on my door and raided my fridge that he would turn down a good cheese or cold pizza, but what do I know.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...I was reading several websites that show the guidelines of a paleo diet, and some say to eat as much vegetables and lean meat as you want in a day! It just doesn't make much sense to me.

That's because you're not an idiot. :drinker:

Paleo forums are full of people complaining about weight gain because they actually believed "calories don't matter" if you eat paleo.
  • oxlisaxo91
    oxlisaxo91 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I count my calories while eating paleo, mainly keeping an eye on my macros and make sure I'm not going crazy with the sat fat and such.
    It takes more effort to count because you can't just scan a barcode and be on your way, you're making everything from scratch so I will admit there has been plenty of days where I haven't counted and I do feel like they've stalled my fat loss. But I'm also new to this as well so it's all a learning curve!
  • avathecado
    Options
    ...I was reading several websites that show the guidelines of a paleo diet, and some say to eat as much vegetables and lean meat as you want in a day! It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Paleo forums are full of people complaining about weight gain because they actually believed "calories don't matter" if you eat paleo.

haha *kitten* you for calling me an idiot.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

He said you were not an idiot. Read it again. He made a very good point.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Oh the irony
  • meglizbo
    Options
    I still count my calories! Otherwise I eat too much haha. I also find it helpful to count my calories because if I am feeling particularly motivated for an extended period of time I will try to get into ketosis which is pretty strict on carbohydrate intake. Also, just so you know you're eating more of a "primal" diet, which is what I do. They include dairy still (yay cheese and butter!!!!).
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Homo erectus counted calories by having these magic wood sprites that told them how many calories there were in animal carcasses that they'd hunted or scavenged, and in all the various other foods they managed to gather. The magic wood sprites would sit on their shoulders and advise them as the cut up the meat with their hand axes, kind of like.... "you there, ugg, yes you... take a smaller piece because that one there... that's 1000 calories right there and you've already had 1400 calories from all those roots you stuffed your face with earlier today, which you refused to share with anyone else... that 1000 calories of fatty meat is going to take you over your calorie goal today and you're going to get FAT!!"

That's how it worked. Oh, wait... what? No. The palaeolithic lifestyle involves exerting yourself to obtain food to begin with so it's really hard to be in calorie surplus for long enough to get fat if you live a palaeolithic lifestyle and hunt and gather all your own food. Surplus days are balanced out by days when the hunt fails and you eat nothing but edible fungus and insect larvae until you can manage to catch something a bit bigger. (lots of protein in insect larvae though...)

As for the modern diet that thinks its paleo but isn't, yep, you can be in calorie surplus eating all that, so if you're going to do that it's better to either count all your calories MFP style (sorry there aren't any magic wood sprites) or embrace the paleo lifestyle properly and hunt and gather all your own food. The diet that calls itself paleo but isn't is more about health and avoiding foods that are commonly allergenic than about fat loss. It's good for people with digestive problems, although it's overly restrictive for most people and even people with food allergies and intolerances usually don't have to be as strict as the "paleo" diet necessitates. But for fat loss, count calories, do exercise, and get a balanced diet.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I count my calories, but I was reading several websites that show the guidelines of a paleo diet, and some say to eat as much vegetables and lean meat as you want in a day! It just doesn't make much sense to me. Meat has a butt load of calories! Should I live by this? Is there a secret about meat and vegetable calories that I'm missing?

Yes, eat as much low gi (high fiber) raw vegetables and lean meat as you like. However, I believe, Mark Sisson promotes eating only until satisfied (not overly stuffed). It is my understanding, in Paleo, meat isn't the main focus of the meal. Meat is, as I understand Paleo, is eaten in moderation (like Zone style ... 20-30 grams each meal). To me, moderation, is defined by looking at a plate as 1/4 of your plate is filled with a protein source. 1/4 of your plate filled with a fresh fruit. The rest of your plate is filled with low gi, high fiber, vegetables.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Maybe a good pair of glasses might suit you well, before you get on the defensive and assume the worst.
  • slimjaques
    slimjaques Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Paleo-ites! My husband, daughter and I are all doing the Paleo Solution challenge for 30 days. We are all losing weight and feeling terrific. I was very skeptical as I have been a big supporter of variety and just keeping calores in check - and working out. I have been a good weight most of my life but have been more challenged since hitting 50. Happy to see the pounds melting away and becoming a believer quickly. We are being very strict for the 30 days - no cheat meals.

So, if you really want to lose weight, might be good to follow it 7 days a week for a month - just to see how it works for you. To really see how eliminating grains or dairy works for your body, you will need to give it longer than 4-5 days at a time.

I'm a newbie - so not speaking from a huge position of authority - but it is working well for us.

For me, I think NOT tracking calories has been very helpful. I find that when I am tracking (which I have done for much of my life), I think about food a LOT. Also as the provider of meals in my household, I spend more time planning ahead and thinking about meals. The simplicity of this plan has freed me from the mental piece. I agree that calories still count a lot - but, if you are really following paleo (including the workouts), it's hard to overdo it.

Good luck!!