URGENT QUESTIONS >>>>>>>URGENT HELP NEEDED

Options
I'm here like most of us looking for answers to loosing weight . Mine is extreme and needs immediate attention . It's actually way over due .

I weigh in at 450 + and have gained 200 of it in the past 10 years . Before that I was a fit 250 pound man that enjoyed backpacking , canoeing , racket ball etc etc . Suddenly my interests changed and work pressure mounted and then I found myself in a work - sleep - work - sleep lifestyle . Finally a year ago I retired at 62 and now , after all those years and the packing on pounds , I cannot do the things I used to enjoy .

I cannot afford a neutrissionist ( bad spelling ) but need a plan to start shedding these pounds . The doctor has given me the OK to exercise but still offered no diet , instead wanting to send me to a neutrisonist .

I have no idea where to start .

Can someone here help me .

Thank you ,
Gonzo

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start by following the calorie goal MFP sets for you. Log whatever foods you eat into your diary and fit them into your calorie goal. You don't have to cut anything out or be super restrictive. Eat the foods you love, in moderation and make them fit. Drink lots of water.

As for exercise, start out small. Do something like walking (which is great exercise, btw). When you feel like you can add more exercise (as you lose weight) then try doing all sorts of things until you find the stuff you REALLY love to do.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Start by following the calorie goal MFP sets for you. Log whatever foods you eat into your diary and fit them into your calorie goal. You don't have to cut anything out or be super restrictive. Eat the foods you love, in moderation and make them fit. Drink lots of water.

As for exercise, start out small. Do something like walking (which is great exercise, btw). When you feel like you can add more exercise (as you lose weight) then try doing all sorts of things until you find the stuff you REALLY love to do.

Well, this said it all. Good luck.

(Love your cupcakes - I am a St. Pat's girl)
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Ignore the name and read the post...lots of great info clearly presented, and you don't have to figure it out all at once. Baby steps. :flowerforyou:
  • millsrobm
    millsrobm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

There is quite a bit of information to take in, but it is all extremely helpful. Good luck to you!

ETA: D'oh! One minute too late :drinker:
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Start with inputting your info and follow MFP's numbers. If you are out on a limb about what to eat specifically, use the macros as a guide and not just the calories. If you work hard to make sure you consume the X amount of protein and iron and carbs that MFP recommends it will really help you to balance a reasonable diet. Get your fats from sources like beans, nuts, EV olive oil and the like and maybe this is just me personally, but in the beginning at least map out your day of food in advance in your diary. It will really assist you with learning how to eat more sensibly.
    Ninkyou couldn't have said it better about exercise, start with what you can do and step it up in small increments as you go.
    Good luck! :happy:
  • Hopingtobe150
    Hopingtobe150 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You have made the first step good for you. I'm new to this myself and I came back from a vacation and went to doctor and almost feel over 242. I decided it was time to get walking and watch what I was eating. I started with walked a little at first and with in a month I'm up to 3-4 miles at a time, I put everything that I eat on here, if it hits my mouth I'm logging it. I have a smartphone if you do too get the app and before you eat log it. Drink lots of water. You will find out really quick what you will give up to eat something that will make you full and not use up all your calories. I would eat fast food everyday. I learned really quick that was not something I wanted to use my calories on.

I found this guys story a big help and I'm sure you might too. maybe contact him.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1202069-how-i-lost-360lbs-in-15-months-with-photos

I wish you luck if you need a friend on this journey friend me I'm always around to talk.
    Christina

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Try hiking... just do a mile or so on a trail nearby. If it's something you used to love doing, you'll be surprised how much you will improve each time. My husband & I hike every weekend & burn crazy calories! When I first started last May & could barely go a mile, now we hike 5-7 miles uphill in the mountains! He's lost 30# & it's basically the only exercise he does. and he just logs his food on MFP. Now he loads up his backpack with extra water bottles to get a better workout. I have a lot more to lose - 80 or 100 pounds to go and hope to reach my goal weight by July 2015. I also go to the gym & do strength training & Zumba, Basically so I can eat a little more otherwise my base calorie goal is only 1370 which is hard to stick to long-term.

You can do it, but it takes time, patience & commitment. Best of luck to you!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Log everything.
    Walk.
    Make small changes to what you eat.
    Walk a little more.
    Make a few more small changes to what you eat.
    Walk a little more.
    Repeat as needed.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Over the past few months I've read some of these forum threads and I've noticed some people's tickers show 200 and 300 lb losses. They would be good resources if you can find them and send them a message. One guy I remember had a starting weight in your range and posted a weekly blog entry that was amazing. I think his name is Beingkevin. If you can find his blog and read the beginning of it you may find it as inspiring as I did. You're in good company here. Good luck to you.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Maybe check with your county human services. Sometimes they offer nutrition counseling/wellness programs.
  • ginag516
    ginag516 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have been in this journey for 3 years so far and I biggestest I have ever been in 315lbs now I am down to 240lbs is been hard but yet a great experience I set no goal do to having health limitations but, I refuse to put myself in that category so I started slowly walking, hiking, and then i starting jogging did 2 5ks so far and changing my eating habits I hope to someday hit 200lbs mark hopefully this year. I keep a journel of what I eat and what I work out on i know is tidius but once you look back you know what to fix. start doing your research and check the forums here there great.
    Good Luck in your Journey,
    :bigsmile:
  • HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Definitely log everything you eat, and start off with small exercises and work up to it so you don't hurt yourself.
    Don't expect pounds to fall off super quickly, it is time consuming and you don't want to rush things.
    It will happen. :)
    Good luck!
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great excercise when you're bigger, it gets you moving but takes alot of pressure of your joints. Congratulations on starting your journey :flowerforyou:
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am going to say this again my friend. Read this ......

If you want a motivational friend feel free to add me. I can grump and go quite sometimes and sometimes I get distracted and then get pissed off but in the main I am here every day and it is working for me.

Good luck.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

^^ This.

Just start with the calorie goal and eat whatever you want to that goal... for now. Don't worry about protein, carbs, fats, sugar and micronutrients for now. There's plenty of time to adjust as you go. And start walking a bit. A few minutes at a time 2-3 times a day if you need.

And welcome to My Fitness Pal :flowerforyou:
  • JulieMorelli
    Options
    Yes, I agree swimming is really great and easy on your body when you just start to exercise. Perhaps, checking with your community center and see if they have any exercise programs available for you.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Check with your insurance plan. You may find that being that over weight may qualify you for medical benefits that do include a nutritionist and also a gym membership. Insurance companies want to keep you healthy and this is often in their best interest as it is cheaper than some of the other related health issues associated with obesity. Congratulations on taking this first step.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great excercise when you're bigger, it gets you moving but takes alot of pressure of your joints. Congratulations on starting your journey :flowerforyou:

I'd like to second this. Swimming is a great way to get moving, and it's wayyyyy less stressful on your joints. Also, like many have said, walking is a another great way to just get moving.

Also, my entire friend list, as well as many of the most successful people on here have also lost the weight by following a "everything in moderation" or "If if fits your macros" way of eating. Please don't start demonizing food: carbs, white stuff (flour, sugar, etc.) pizza, ice cream, BACON...please don't feel as if you have to cut out EVERYTHING in order to lose or be successful. If you want some pizza, have some...but limit yourself to 2 slices instead of the entire thing, for example.

Also, you'll have ups...you'll have downs...don't think of giving up if you don't lose an *kitten*-load of weight right away. Don't feel like giving up if you start losing an *kitten*-load right away, and then you stall for a bit. You mentioned that you gained the weight over the last 10 years, so it will take more than 6 month to lose. (I'm sure you know this, but one of the biggest factors in people "falling off the wagon" is a lack of quick results.)

The "sexypants" thread is a GREAT one for newbies. Read it. Learn it. Love it. Live it.

Get a food scale. Weigh your food, rather than using measuring cups.

Good luck!!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    If the doctor is referring you to a nutritionist, doesn't your insurance cover this? If not, then you need to speak to your doctor. If you can not afford to see a nutritionist, then tell him that. In the meantime, MFP is a big help. I just think that if it needs to be a quick weight loss, for medical reasons, then your medical doctor needs to be involved, as far as the approach you take. Many people are against eating at 1,200 calories/day here, including myself, but if it's an urgent issue, then that may be what you need to do, atleast temporarily. Good luck to you. :)))
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    For a start, USDA recommends daily 5 servings of vegetables and 3 servings of fruits, specifically it said to fill half of your plate with vegetables and fruits (good visual), because most people don't eat enough of them.