Feeling Discouraged!

Options
My weight has started creeping up again. I know exactly what is causing it, but for some reason I haven't changed my habits. I've been binging lately because I've been so stressed and worried about school. I'm eating way too much and I don't really know how to stop. In the moment when I start to binge I don't always care about the negative effects that it is doing to my body. However, I always feel guilty afterwards. Does anyone have any advice for trying to break this vicious cycle? Has anyone else been stuck in this situation? Also about a month and I half ago I stopped my one medication abilify and things spiralled downward really quickly. This also might have had some consequences about how I've been feeling and eating. A few weeks ago, after a trip to the ER I am back on my medication again. Hopefully with my lifted mood and motivation I will start to feel better and start eating better and exercising more. Has anyone ever had weight side effects from medication?

Replies

• NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    What medication are you on? Many of us deal with this, including myself. It's called emotional eating, in your case, at this time, stress eating. One of the issues, is to deal with the stress. You need to find other ways to deal with it, other than stuffing food in your mouth. I know, it's rewarding, makes you feel good, and tastes great...at the time. Then, later come feelings of guilt, feeling bloated, and just feeling bad. It's different if you plan for a little splurge, and fit it into your macros and calorie goal, though. You should treat yourself, in moderation, occasionally. There's plenty you can do to relieve your stress. You can do a quick workout, go for a walk, go shopping, read a book, watch a movie, laugh at the forums on MFP, talk to a friend, bla bla bla. You are the only one who can change your behavior. You have to determine NOW, if the short term rewards outweigh the long term ones, (weight loss and health). Now that it's done and over, there's no point in beating yourself up over it. Move on, and move forward.
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Lady..you way too beautiful and too young to get stressed up.
    Walk out from your house/dorm or cave..head up high,look at the warm sun, breathe the fresh air..take a morning jog, say Hi! to those who have morning jog

Trust me..You will feel good, and wont wanna eat junks and binge

You too beautiful to get stress up..Live life to the fullest ^_^
  • Denise_Valentine
    Denise_Valentine Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've never had problems with meds as I am not on any but I understand the frustration. try to break things down into smaller chunks. just take the day in three small pieces. just concentrate on making it to lunch without overdoing it. after that make it to supper. then to bed time. also try drinking a large glass of water( can be flavoured) before each meal. you'll feel fuller sooner therefore eat less. try not to multi task while eating(watching t.v, reading,) while eating. people tend to eat more when they are distracted. you won't have to keep this up forever if you learn your own body signals for feeling full. don't reward yourself with food. you are not a dog. most importantly this isn't a contest or a race. everyone has bad days and you will over eat, you could be celebrating a birthday or at a baby shower, this won't ruin your progress. this needs to be a lifestyle change. if it feels like a diet it won't work. I've sent you a friend request if you want I log everyday and give encouragement. good luck!!
  • greena
    greena Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    read the book The Beck Diet Solution. It is amazing and will help you stop mindless eating by creating new habits (no eating standing up, eating slowly, creating mantras, etc.).

I struggle with emotional and stress eating and it has been a huge help for me - to stop the self-pity and self-blame and just get right back on track.
  • gabriellegetsfit
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies everyone! I'm definitely going to try what all of you suggested! I'm feeling positive right now and I know I can do this! I can't change what happened, but I can change what I do from now on! Knowing I'm not the only one out there with issues gives me a sense of relief. We can do this and I hope all of you reach your fitness and nutritional goals :D