Sugar

Options
I have been a member since July 2010. After my first loss of 10 lbs. I was asked to update my stats.
My sugar count for the day is 28. I am going over the amount on a daily basis. My calories for the day is 1390.
I found the 1200 calories too low and I was feeling hungry all the time so I upped the amount and now I
feel better and I am still losing weight.
Is this sugar count too low? Could someone let me know if this should be changed and how I would
do it.......Thanks

Replies

• nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had this same question last week and posted a forum about it. After seeing people's opinions, I decided to take the sugar intake off of my food diary, otherwise I would just be annoyed. A few people told me that the sugar intake was for processed foods, not for natural sugar sources (fruit, dairy, etc). I wouldn't even pay attention to it, as long as your other counts are in check. I just try to keep my carb count below the goal and I am good to go.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    To change it, go to My Home --> Goals--> Change goals --> Custom

Whatever you set it to is tied to your daily calorie goeal - it will increase it proportionately if your calories go up from exercise.

Everyone has different opinons on how much sugar is okay... Many people on MFP don't track sugar because it doesn't differentiate between added and natural, and lots of people don't think you need to pay attention to natural sugars (milk/fruit). Some people think you should eat as little sugar as possible, including natural, and basically cut out fruit and dairy.

After lots of research I decided that my TOTAL sugar (added and natural) should be no more than 10% of my daily calories. at 1200 calories, that's 30g of sugar (usually after exercise calories I can have up to 40g) So... I track mine. I try to eat as little added sugar as possible, and I limit myself to moderate amounts of milk/fruit a day to stay within the guidelines. I still go over the 10% often, but not by too much.
  • maffu00
    Options
    Are you drinking milk and eating fruit? MFP does not distinguish between added and natural sugar, so it makes it difficult to stay within the sugar goal. If your eating healthy foods but still going over your sugar goal, don't worry about it :)
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. I am Type 2 diabetic so I was concerned.
    I guess I will just relax and not let it get me down.
    I will keep the count so I can see how I am doing anyway but not get
    stressed about it.:tongue: