What is a realistic time to finish a 5K?

Options
I know everyone is different and I'm only just starting but I was wondering what would be a good goal would be time wise. :)

Replies

• theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    For my first 5K, I think it took me about 45 minutes. I was overweight and ill-prepared. It will depend on your fitness level.
  • watermelonsugar_
    Options
    I was around 40 minutes during my 5km, also not really well prepared but I did manage to do well considering.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    For my first 5K, I think it took me about 45 minutes. I was overweight and ill-prepared. It will depend on your fitness level.

I should be pretty fit by the time it comes. :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    it all depends on you. There's fitness level, experience/training spent running, and what your speed is.

You could look into C25K to get a sort of better idea if you are looking to get into running/training a 5K.

I got the time on it down before but not the distance yet. But then again, I'm not in that great shape and I have short little legs, so what some people consider a brisk walk speed is my jogging speed. :laugh:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My first 5k I did in about 45 minutes...I walked it though...these days I would jog it.
  • bobcooks920
    Options
    Aim high... go for 30 minutes.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I coach a learn to run program. I've had people complete the program and run their first 5k in under 50 minutes. I've had others run their first 5k in under 30 minutes.
    Its really hard to say without knowing what your time is now for what distance, how long you have to train, etc.
  • benefiting
    Options
    I coach a learn to run program. I've had people complete the program and run their first 5k in under 50 minutes. I've had others run their first 5k in under 30 minutes.
    Its really hard to say without knowing what your time is now for what distance, how long you have to train, etc.

I'm doing C25K right now. I'm making about 2.98KM (1.85 miles) in 32 minutes roughly at jogging pace (I believe) at an average pace of around 9:51 per KM (not sure what that would for miles).
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Last year I volunteered to bring up the rear of one of our 5k's and walked the whole thing. I was the last one in and was right at about an hour.

I would say anywhere from 30-45 minutes. More towards 45 if you do a combination of running and walking and lower if you run most if not all of the 3 miles.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I ran my most recent 5K training run in 39:30 on a hilly route, at age 55 and in "barefoot" shoes (which give me a shorter stride).

You're looking at a lot of factors -- not only your fitness level but topography (e.g., flat versus hilly route), weather (temperature, humidity, wind), etc.

If you're doing an official race that's been done before, see if it has a website that includes past finishes. Don't worry about where you fall in the standings. The range provides info relevant to that particular course.

Races also differ from practice runs in that they can give you crazy adrenalin from the crowd and excitement (which often includes energizing music). If it's a big enough event, you can also face logjams. The main point is to have fun, especially when you're starting out.
  • benefiting
    Options
    I'm thinking of aiming for 40 minutes at 8:00 minutes per KM. Thanks guys. :)
  • mr_boinapalli
    Options
    aim for 30 ...

I am beginner packed with 75 extra pounds ..
    I take about 38 min ..

I couldn't run in the beginning for more than 300 meters .. It took about 2 months to finish the 5k (in two phases .. jog for 3k .. take 5 min off .. then run for 2k ) .. counting only the time I was jogging .. I take about 38 min ..
  • benefiting
    Options
    aim for 30 ...

I am beginner packed with 75 extra pounds ..
    I take about 38 min ..

I couldn't run in the beginning for more than 300 meters .. It took about 2 months to finish the 5k (in two phases .. jog for 3k .. take 5 min off .. then run for 2k ) .. counting only the time I was jogging .. I take about 38 min ..

I'll aim for 30 once I get to 40 in my training. I still have 6 weeks to my program and at least 3 and half-4 months to train. :)
  • ReturnToRunning
    Options
    sounds like you are on the right track miss :)
  • ReturnToRunning
    Options
    good for you working so hard! Inspirational :)
  • sabrina9224
    Options
    Everybody's time would be different depending on your level of fitness. I've never ran a 5km, but have done 10km runs in the past and do a few every year. My first time took me an 1:05, so a 5km would maybe be about around 35 minutes for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you know, the first race i did i actually forgot my hrm watch at home. i was soooo mad at myself because i wouldn't know my time until later. like, i couldn't look down at my watch during the race to see how fast i was going.

it turned out to be a blessing, because i just pushed myself harder. i ended up beating my expectations by a very considerable amount.

so my advice to you for your first race is to leave your watch at home, push yourself hard, and enjoy the race. you can time the next one.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different and I'm only just starting but I was wondering what would be a good goal would be time wise. :)

Personally I completed C25K at a 34 minute time, first event was in very muddy conditions for 32 minutes. PB in training is 27 minutes at the moment but my focus is improving 10K performance.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'll turn this on its head a little. Don't worry about the time, pace yourself with a heart rate monitor and come across the finish line still moving with a big smile on your face. Your body will slowly adapt to the stresses you put on it and it you will get faster and faster over the next few years. What is more important (in my opinion) is that you enjoy it so you keep going. If you go to hard you may injure yourself or stop because it hurts too much.

If you make it across the finish line you have done more than the average person so good luck and go for it :-)
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I'll turn this on its head a little. Don't worry about the time, pace yourself with a heart rate monitor and come across the finish line still moving with a big smile on your face. Your body will slowly adapt to the stresses you put on it and it you will get faster and faster over the next few years. What is more important (in my opinion) is that you enjoy it so you keep going. If you go to hard you may injure yourself or stop because it hurts too much.

If you make it across the finish line you have done more than the average person so good luck and go for it :-)

^^ This. I run many and I run slow and at the end when I see my time I'm always like, "Cool!" Even if it wasn't better than my last one. Just run, and have fun.