Net calories: Is this healthy?

Options
I recently started working out with a new personal trainer (my old one quit the gym I work out at). She told me I should be eating between 1200 and 1500 calories a day as well as burning around 500 calories a day in a workout. However, she really does not want me to eat any of those calories back. This puts my net calorie consumption at 1000 (max.) per day.

When I asked her if that was healthy she said that I need to operate at a deficit in order to lose weight. However, I think that 1500 calories/day is ALREADY a deficit - my other trainer had me calculate my BMR and daily calorie needs. My calorie needs at the LOWEST level is 2,046 daily.

Is she wrong? I feel like if I worked out that much and ate that little I wouldn't feel great.

Stats:
Female, 23
5'7
194 lbs.

Replies

• Risabamfo
    Risabamfo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would go by mfp, it has the deficit already built in. 1000 is low especially for your weight. Most trainers do not have education and training in nutrition. They probably just want a success story of you losing weight fast.
  • watermelonsugar_
    Options
    Your new trainer definitely has put you on a calorie restriction that is too low. I used iifym.com TDEE calculator and so far it's proven successful. I don't think MFP's settings are appropriate either, it seems to put everyone at 1200 calories.
  • jas14196
    jas14196 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    **** your trainer, most trainers are stupid when it comes to diet.

first of all, your caloric intake is way too low. second its more so about your macros.

Ive been providing people with proper nutrient diets for a while, losing "fat" and losing "weight" is two very different concepts. and diet and training has to be adjusted according too.

-Jyzz
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    It really depends on a lot of factors as to whether this would be healthy for you or not. I had a friend do a 12 week boot camp with a qualified personal trainer and nutrition expert and they recommended eating 1200 and exercising 600 and not eating back the calories, but only for 12 weeks.

I have also spoken to my doctor about this for me personally and for me I have been given the OK by the doctor to eat 1200 and exercise without eating calories back, but for me the health risks of not losing weight are greater than the risks of losing it quickly.

If in doubt, see a doctor who will be able to assess your individual situation, or at the very least a qualified dietician. Everyone on a site like this will have a different opinion, but none of them will know your full story.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Your new trainer definitely has put you on a calorie restriction that is too low. I used iifym.com TDEE calculator and so far it's proven successful. I don't think MFP's settings are appropriate either, it seems to put everyone at 1200 calories.

MFP only puts people at 1200 if they set it up that way. If you set it to lose 2 lbs per week any you only have 15 lbs to lose, 1200 is the lowest it will let you go, regardless of what creates a 1000 calorie deficit, which is why you see so many 1200s. But it you set it up properly, it will give you the deficit appropriate to that amount based on the estimated energy expenditure for that person. 250 calories per day for half a pound, 500 for a pound, 750 for a pound and a half, but it won't let you go below 1200 as that is the lowest recommended intake where you can still get enough necessary nutrients.