Ridiculous clothing sizing in shops.

Options
So I thought I have been making good progress lately and im feeling good and I went into a store and tried on a medium and it was too small then I tried a large and it was still ridiculously small! yet when I buy gym clothes im a small - medium its ridiculous the discrepancies between stores and their clothing sizes! some items in my wardrobe are size 8/ small and some are up to size 12/ large! I think I should just cut off all the tags of my clothes and wear what feels good. **** societies idea of what is small or what is large! I know im not a fat person any more I have worked my *kitten* off and im not going to let a size tag at a shop define who I am and how I feel about myself!

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Sorry I got nothing to add. You're very pretty tho :)
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks lovely! =]
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    you are not a number that's what I think when I stand on the scales same with clothes you have done so well x
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think I should just cut off all the tags of my clothes and wear what feels good.

This is a good idea. You don't even need to cut the tags. Just wear what feels good. Sizing varies for many reasons. You are still the same person with the same body whatever the clothing size is. The number or size is not important.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So I thought I have been making good progress lately and im feeling good and I went into a store and tried on a medium and it was too small then I tried a large and it was still ridiculously small! yet when I buy gym clothes im a small - medium its ridiculous the discrepancies between stores and their clothing sizes! some items in my wardrobe are size 8/ small and some are up to size 12/ large! I think I should just cut off all the tags of my clothes and wear what feels good. **** societies idea of what is small or what is large! I know im not a fat person any more I have worked my *kitten* off and im not going to let a size tag at a shop define who I am and how I feel about myself!

My two pairs of jeans that fit perfectly, one is from a UK teenager brand and is supposedly a size 6 in US sizes, the other is from a French women brand and it claims to be a US size 10...just ignore the tags :)
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Its the same here in the UK.
    In 1 shop I am 14, in another a 16 and in another an 18.
    Its stupid
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Its stupid

Haha - go to M&S, youll be a 10 or a 12 there (there's not much I like but it's great buying a 10). I stear clear of new look and la senza - they would have me buying 18s, the b@stards.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have clothes in UK sizes 10, 12 and 14. It doesn't matter, just wear what looks good! I'm pregnant, and it's the same with maternity clothes, you end up with a variety of sizes.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Jaeger? Their sizes are huge! Much bigger than M&S even.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    In my wardrobe I have a size 10 skirt and a size 16 pair of pants. Their waistbands are the same size. I think that says it all. Definitely just wear what's comfortable!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've learnt about sizes during my weightloss journey is that it's all INSANE.
    I'll never rely on sizes to value my weight or my body or my weightloss ever again. Go cut all of the tags if you want to, that's perfectly reasonable and I can completely understand.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Thing I worry about is young girls. They are so impressionable that the numbers matter. It's all about being the perfect 10.
    Even if they are perfect, the numbers don't back it up and they get a warped impression body image ie: I have to wear a size 16 so I must be fat!!
    Scary really.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Were you in Charlotte Russe?
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Its stupid

Haha - go to M&S, youll be a 10 or a 12 there (there's not much I like but it's great buying a 10). I stear clear of new look and la senza - they would have me buying 18s, the b@stards.

Unless you have big thighs and are 5', in which case good luck fitting into jeans smaller than a 14 when everyone else says you are a 10!

I have honestly been close to tears of frustration in M&S fitting rooms (sorry to the staff in M&S Birmingham).
  • yasminedanielle14
    Options
    Its stupid

I was absolutely thrilled the other day, when I walked into Topshop and bought a size 14 jumpsuit and a size 14 pair of trousers.
    Went next door to River Island, and the leggings and top I bought were size 16/18.
    I think they all just make up their own sizes, I wonder wether there are actual size guidelines retailers are supposed to follow?
    Also, Next have huge sizes haha.
    Would love to get down to a size 10-12 and ditch the stretchy pants and baggy jumpers but I suppose you should go more off how you feel rather than get too attached to numbers.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I know. Before I lost weight I was about 136 lbs and would range from a size 4 to an 8 ( major vanity sizing ). I am just under 5'4". Right now I am about 122 lbs and probably a 2-4 in women's and a 3-5 in juniors/teens.

Some stores run ridiculously small as if they are made for young teenagers. Or other stores everything runs so big and you have to buy an XS and a size 0 when you're really like a 4 everywhere else. I know in women's clothing I sometimes I have to buy an XS, but I know in Juniors I wear a small or a medium. ( and on rare occasions when something runs ridiculously small ) a large.

BTW, I'm in the US. I know that US and UK sizing is different.
  • GSXRGIRL61
    GSXRGIRL61 Posts: 6,270 Member
    Options
    Many of the shops in the U.S., such as Banana Republic and Ann Taylor, have different cuts of pants for different builds. There are pants for curvy, boyish, somewhere-in-between, and now they have a really slim cut. A size 2 in City will not fit someone who can wear a size 2 in Signature.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's ridiculous. I don't care one bit what size I am, but it's just annoying when you have to try on everything before you buy them. So I just tend to stick to one brand now... at least I know what my size is in those and I can order online.

I'm everywhere from a 4 to a 10 depending on the brand here. And S, M or L. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't understand why they use measurements as sizes for men but not women. Bleh.
  • nbdiamond
    nbdiamond Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's called Vanity sizing, google it! It's done to make women feel good about themselves. Over the years clothing measurements have gotten larger but the size number has remained the same. Ex: 1995, I was in high school/college 5"8.5 weighed 112 lbs and wore a size 4. Now fast forward , after having 2 kids and gaining 23 lbs I wore a size 2..huh? That's impossible!! My wedding dress is a size 6 which was true to size because wedding dress makers use standard sewing patterns.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I graduated from HS in 1971 (yeah, I'm Old) and wore a size 12 back then. I weigh a little less now than I weighed back then and the last few pairs of pants/jeans I bought were size 8. If I liked them tight I could get into a 6. I'm 5'7 and 130 lbs. and that's just downright silly.

The trend has been towards "vanity sizing" over those years, I think- they label something a 10 but cut it large enough for a size 12, who will be so thrilled she can "get into a size 10" that she'll buy it. (This is especially true of more expensive brands.) Maybe now the trend is saving a few cents on each garment by cutting it smaller and thus using less fabric. And at Chico's I buy Size 1!

Ignore the size labels. They're crazy. Wear what fits and flatters you.