My Tips/Tricks for Weightloss

I recently wrote out a list of my tricks and we'll i ended up with loads and thought I'd make it public to try help anyone and if anyone disagrees, so what? These are what I do it's not a bible that I'm throwing in your face telling you is the only way, just my tricks/tips

1) eat biggest meals earlier in the day so before 1pm

2) don't eat 3 hours before you sleep, and if your feeling peckish eat somthing with a healthy fat content so, Nuts, Peanut Butter

3) too lose fat you need to eat fats

4) walking is just as good exercise as jogging and is a hell of a lot easier

5) don't be afraid to eat so bad calories so chocolate but only do that like once every 3 days, makes it more worth the wait

6) if you fancy somthing, wait an hour or 2 and see if you still fancy it later

7) a good sleeping pattern helps just because you feel better rested

8) every 1-2 weeks, ignore the idea of eating healthy have a blow out, write a list of the things you fancy during the duration from the last day, and then eat them all on that day

9) I enjoy eating little and often so i don't feel the need for big meals, I'll eat a packet if slice chicken or turkey as a meal

10) Wholemeal Bread with Crunchy Peanut butter, takes me ages to eat and by the end I'm not hungry

11) drink a glass if water before each food to fill you up more

12) if it exceeds the size of a tea plate your portion is too large

13) let food settle before you eat anything else if you feel hungry after eating then drink more water

14) Diet Fizzy Drinks, are low in calories and full of who knows what just avoid, have a can on occasions , but generally avoid

15) I keep bottled water in my fridge to grab and have on the go and easier to drink in a bottle

16) if you squeeze a half lemon in a glass of warm water before you eat anything it starts your metabolism also lemons have more vitamin C than oranges

17) I've learned how full of junk Mc Donald's and that is and now I'm physically repulsed to eat it

18) I refer back to cheat day, Pizza, Burgers, Ice Cream, my 3 main weaknesses, on a off day I will have 2/3 of these easy

19) find lower calorie Chocolates, Kit-Kats are my choice, Freddos and Curlywirles are good as we'll.

20) Healthy Living/Weight Watchers Ready Meals, find ones you like and your away, mine are the WW Beef Hotpot & Coop Good Life Chilli and Potatoes

21) no your Carbs, Proteins, and fats, study up, knowledge is power, the more you know the more conscious you become of it

22) food supplements are great for starting off, but not a permeant fix

23) preplan your meals before hand for the day, prelog it and then you know what you have left for some extra cals

24) Yogurts, Muller Lights 99cals, Ww Desert Recipes 59cals, Ella's Kitchen 60-90cals

25) depending on time don't store food walk down to your closest store and do your shopping for that day

26) Wine, Ciders, Beers = Empty Calories, no nutrition and waste of calories, No Added Sugar Cranberry Juice, or Squash NAS has less cals and no real difference

27) Canderal or sugar substitutes, do the trick for Tea, Tea/Coffee aren't bad just watch the milk

28) pick a day in a week and pemake some meals and freeze the home made ready meals, Example; 200g Chicken Breast, 50g Brown Rice, around 200-300 cals, and have your 2 keys, Protein and carbs

29) glass of fruit juice or 8 Oranges, same cals/ nutrition, I'd rather eat 8 oranges

30) Stay Motivated, do it because you want to not because you need to, and try to enjoy it, it's a life style not a diet.

I was 21 stone at 17years and 0% activity computer fan so it was a struggle but I'm still learning now 17.10stone so if I can do it almost anyone can.

Replies

• LR182
    LR182 Posts: 12 Member
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    wow, #25 would take dedication. I have to have food on hand. I couldn't imagine just going shopping day to day, because I might be in the mood for something else.

ETA, hey, as long as it works for you, that's great! You have some good advice here.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    29 ???

200ml orange juice around 120 cals

1x med orange around 65 cals. 8*65 = 520.
  • LR182
    oh well 4 then, either way 4 Oranges or 1 Glass of orange juice, and I think i was referring to Clementines, i can't remember this was like 1am XD
  • LR182
    of course i buy certain things in advance, but generally i try to do this cause it helps be get up earlier and get out walking.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    Glad to hear it is working for you.

Some of your tips are very subjective - such as going to the shops each day. Temptation to buy an unnecessary treat each time would rule this out for me.

Not sure about 16.
    I really don't think lemon juice before meals changes your metabolism.
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    There are some good general tips in here but a lot of them are subjective and would vary greatly depending on the person.

One thing caught my eye though. There is no real difference between beer/wine and… cranberry juice?

Wine definitely =/= cranberry juice. Never in any way would it ever.
  • strive4more11
    strive4more11 Posts: 213 Member

Wine definitely =/= cranberry juice. Never in any way would it ever.

^^ THIS!

But great ideas and it seems like your plan is working great for you! :drinker:
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Mostly good advice I think, though I'd disagree with a couple of points. I always eat directly before bed - usually fruit, sometimes chocolate - otherwise I get hungry and can't sleep. If I eat something though I'm much more satisfied and relaxed.

I fully agree with 'cheating' every now and again, especially now that I'm so close to my goal. I'm not as strict as I used to be when going out for a meal, and if we go to the Chinese buffet near us I ditch the diet completely and eat whatever the hell I want.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I think what this list illustrated is that there are lots of behavioural "tricks" you can find to help keep you motivated or on track. Some good ideas here. I don't personally agree with all of them (in fact for some of them, I do pretty much the opposite!) but it's important to find what works for you. :flowerforyou:

(no. 16 is incorrect btw, lemon juice doesn't start you metabolism. And no. 26... :noway: :drinker: )
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    mmk
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    god, people love to overcomplicate things.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    I like 12.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Making things too complicated for my tastes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    I recently wrote out a list of my tricks and we'll i ended up with loads and thought I'd make it public to try help anyone and if anyone disagrees, so what? These are what I do it's not a bible that I'm throwing in your face telling you is the only way, just my tricks/tips

Meal size at any time doesn't really matter. Total calories do.
    2) don't eat 3 hours before you sleep, and if your feeling peckish eat somthing with a healthy fat content so, Nuts, Peanut Butter
    Not a hard rule. Lots of people eat right up before sleeping and do fine.
    True, however the type of fats need to be consumed intelligently.
    Walking is easy because everyone can practically do it. But being as good as jogging would be subjective since if one jogged the same duration time as someone walked, the calorie expenditure would be much higher for the jogger. Also jogging would have a much better cardiovascular effect on the heart than walking would.
    5) don't be afraid to eat so bad calories so chocolate but only do that like once every 3 days, makes it more worth the wait
    There's actually no such thing as bad calories. There are nutrient lacking calories though.
    Okay, I'll go with this one.
    7) a good sleeping pattern helps just because you feel better rested
    Better yet, sleeping actually burns 100% fat for energy, so lack of sleep interferes with this.
    8) every 1-2 weeks, ignore the idea of eating healthy have a blow out, write a list of the things you fancy during the duration from the last day, and then eat them all on that day
    Or you could eat whatever you fancy everyday, just in measured portions.
    9) I enjoy eating little and often so i don't feel the need for big meals, I'll eat a packet if slice chicken or turkey as a meal
    Okay.
    10) Wholemeal Bread with Crunchy Peanut butter, takes me ages to eat and by the end I'm not hungry
    Personally I just eat out of the jar.
    Good strategy.
    Depends on what you're eating. You could eat a whole package of salad and I doubt that would negatively affect calorie intake much.
    13) let food settle before you eat anything else if you feel hungry after eating then drink more water
    Okay.
    14) Diet Fizzy Drinks, are low in calories and full of who knows what just avoid, have a can on occasions , but generally avoid
    Disagree, since I've drank diet soda for over 25 years and peer reviewed clinical studies haven't shown many of the claims by "health" or "natural" sites articles on it to be valid.
    15) I keep bottled water in my fridge to grab and have on the go and easier to drink in a bottle
    Okay.
    16) if you squeeze a half lemon in a glass of warm water before you eat anything it starts your metabolism also lemons have more vitamin C than oranges
    Metabolism runs 24/7. Stops running when you die.
    17) I've learned how full of junk Mc Donald's and that is and now I'm physically repulsed to eat it
    More for us then.
    18) I refer back to cheat day, Pizza, Burgers, Ice Cream, my 3 main weaknesses, on a off day I will have 2/3 of these easy
    Many here have ice cream daily and burgers once or twice a week. It's not taboo.
    19) find lower calorie Chocolates, Kit-Kats are my choice, Freddos and Curlywirles are good as we'll.
    Never had the others, but Kit Kats are good.
    20) Healthy Living/Weight Watchers Ready Meals, find ones you like and your away, mine are the WW Beef Hotpot & Coop Good Life Chilli and Potatoes
    There are lots of options. Personally for cost I like Eating Right if I need a pre packaged meal.
    21) no your Carbs, Proteins, and fats, study up, knowledge is power, the more you know the more conscious you become of it
    It would probably be smart to also learn about micronutrient content within the macronutrients.
    22) food supplements are great for starting off, but not a permeant fix
    Food supplements aren't needed. One learns how to "switch" over eventually, so learning right off the bat will not only save time but money from food supplements.
    23) preplan your meals before hand for the day, prelog it and then you know what you have left for some extra cals
    This is a great strategy and one I use daily.
    24) Yogurts, Muller Lights 99cals, Ww Desert Recipes 59cals, Ella's Kitchen 60-90cals
    Haven't tried those so no idea.
    25) depending on time don't store food walk down to your closest store and do your shopping for that day
    Lol, then what is the fridge and pantry for?
    26) Wine, Ciders, Beers = Empty Calories, no nutrition and waste of calories, No Added Sugar Cranberry Juice, or Squash NAS has less cals and no real difference
    While I agree on the calories, you don't see people getting wasted on cranberry juice.
    27) Canderal or sugar substitutes, do the trick for Tea, Tea/Coffee aren't bad just watch the milk
    You contradict yourself here on sugar substitutes and diet soda.
    28) pick a day in a week and pemake some meals and freeze the home made ready meals, Example; 200g Chicken Breast, 50g Brown Rice, around 200-300 cals, and have your 2 keys, Protein and carbs
    Or you could heat leftovers.
    29) glass of fruit juice or 8 Oranges, same cals/ nutrition, I'd rather eat 8 oranges
    Calories would be definitely different. A glass of orange juice may be 120 calories. 8 oranges would be about 400 calories.
    30) Stay Motivated, do it because you want to not because you need to, and try to enjoy it, it's a life style not a diet.
    Consistency helps to keep people motivated, so this would be something people strive for.

Lots of stuff you did and I commend you on your weight loss. But like you said, there's still lots that you may have to learn. Keep researching constantly with peer reviewed studies. To this day, even after 30 years in the business, I still research to keep up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Here is a link to my TIP/TRICKS:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1157575-the-best-tricks-to-lose-weight-fast-and-easy?hl=tricks+to+losing+weight+fast

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    tl;dr, but 16 is crap. If your metabolism has stopped, you've got bigger problems than weight loss.
  • WhisperAnne
    WhisperAnne Posts: 453 Member
    interesting advice but not every one of them would work for me. Maybe for you, and that's great! everyone i different and some people have different ways of losing weight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I'm glad you've found what works for you but this is too needlessly complex for me.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

Makes no difference when you eat, it is about convenience
    Again, makes no difference, it is the total calories that matter and what you like to eat.

To survive you need some fats, to lose weight, you do not need to eat extra fat !
    True, but for many of us running is more fun, and better exercise. It i snot about losing weight only.
    Or use common sense and eat small amounts of whatever snack you like, whenever you like, not overdoing it. If you binge on chocolate every days you can undo all the work you did the rest of the week and also feel deprived. One or two pieces of chocolate or whatever daily makes more sense for the averag eperson.
    Good if you tend to binge eat or eat out of boredom, makes no sense otherwise.

Sounds like an incredibly bad habit and a great way to gain all the weight back when you stop dieting. This alone for me means you are not at a place where you have a healthy relationship with food. It is not about feeling constantly deprived and waiting for a cheat day, it is about finding some balance and a lifestyle you can live with, every day.

Depends on the person, and if you can get all the nutrietns you need this way, plus be happy about it on the long run. For me, I will take a reasonable portion of homemade food over a packer of anything.
    So does a big salad, a big bowl of pineapple etc

Water is good, timing does not matter.

Your portion of what? Pizza? Lettuce salad?
    Or figure out what are good healthy low calorie choices to use as snacks. A serving of salad and lean meat and then some fruit = more fillign and healthy than processed deli meats and peanut butter ;)

Depends on the fizzy drink

You are wrong about the vitamin C, sorry, they have the same. And heat destroys vitamin C.
    As for the metabolism, just no, no, no.

Can't argue with this one, although for me the smell is enough to be repulsed, always was.
    Like I said before, you need a healthier relationship with food and learn how to make things you like a regular part of a balanced diet. Or the moment you stop being careful, you will end up packing the weight.
    Agree, as long as you still eat in moderation.

Sounds too restrictive. What if you decide to go on a work lunch, visit a friend, just fancy a snack?

Unless you have zero self control, what is the need for this? And will nto work unless you live alone.
    Uhm, no, just now. Cranberry juice will not do it if you feel like drinking a beer...
    Agree, but it contradicts a lot of the things you mention above, from extreme restrictions to cheat days.