Calorie Cycling

Options
Quite like the idea because I get to have high cals on some days, lower cals on others, matching my workout plans AND give my calorie-watching mind a bit of a rest.

I am in maintenance and think this may be a good plan?

If you have done it, would love to hear more. Thanks.

(a good overview here http://www.answerfitness.com/316/zig-zag-dieting-fitness-nerd/)

Replies

• MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I sort of do this, but I don't have a drastically different amount each day...I kind of "save" calories for the weekend. I have seen some people say it doesn't work, but it seems to work for me. I'm pretty close to maintenance (we are talking only 0.25 lbs per week) and I usually go under by 100 to 200 calories throughout the week (depending on the workout and how many exercise calories I have that day) and have 500 or so for the weekend. (It would be more, but I look at cals from Sunday to Saturday, and Sunday is usually dinner at my bf's parents house, so I go over, take a couple of days to even out, then save some for the Friday/Saturday).
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I sort of do this, but I don't have a drastically different amount each day...I kind of "save" calories for the weekend. I have seen some people say it doesn't work, but it seems to work for me. I'm pretty close to maintenance (we are talking only 0.25 lbs per week) and I usually go under by 100 to 200 calories throughout the week (depending on the workout and how many exercise calories I have that day) and have 500 or so for the weekend. (It would be more, but I look at cals from Sunday to Saturday, and Sunday is usually dinner at my bf's parents house, so I go over, take a couple of days to even out, then save some for the Friday/Saturday).

Your "saving" approach is interesting. I do that only by day. E.g. if I plan to go out for a feast on Sat, I will try to eat less during the day on Saturday, make sure I fit in a solid workout.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Really all that matters is your weekly calorie intake. It's kind of up to you how you'd like to distribute those calories. Some people fast for 2 days and eat a higher calorie intake on the other 5 days. Some people eat more calories on workout days and eat less on rest days. Other people including me, eat the exact same calorie intake every single day regardless of your activity that day. It really has no effect in terms of body composition (gaining, losing, or maintaining weight). It's just personal preference really...
  • eso2012
    Options
    Really all that matters is your weekly calorie intake. It's kind of up to you how you'd like to distribute those calories. Some people fast for 2 days and eat a higher calorie intake on the other 5 days. Some people eat more calories on workout days and eat less on rest days. Other people including me, eat the exact same calorie intake every single day regardless of your activity that day. It really has no effect in terms of body composition (gaining, losing, or maintaining weight). It's just personal preference really...

I always keep it daily..never thought about doing the weekly sum. Something to consider - a more relaxing approach too, now that I am in maintenance. Thanks!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I've tried it before and it worked for me. I maintained on calorie cycling. I thought it worked well, because there were days where I was more active, or days when I had to go out to eat, or eat with the family. Sometimes there isn't really an easy way out when it comes to going out to eat. ( and you have no control, and you are forced to go because someone is paying for you )

I'm thinking about calorie cycling between 1200-1650 per day and see if that helps me lose weight still. That way, I have the 1650 days to look forward to :)

I'd say try and see how it goes. If it doesn't work the way you wanted, you can always throw the idea in the trash.
  • eso2012
    Options

I'd say try and see how it goes. If it doesn't work the way you wanted, you can always throw the idea in the trash.

Agree! I just like to be more relaxed but still disciplined, you know. Will track and see how it goes, thanks!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a huge advantage one way or another. It's going to come down to what you prefer to do. I prefer to eat more than maintenance on workout days (3x a week) and less on rest days.
  • yewbic
    yewbic Posts: 37
    Options
    I've tried different ways of cycling like going low deficit for 4-5 days in a row then going high intake for 2-3 days in a row. I also i tried a 3 day cycle of Day 1: medium calorie, Day 2: low calorie, Day 3: high calorie. I found that at the end of the week, the cycling not only achieves the same weight loss deficit as cutting the same everyday but also helps to serve as a mechanism to sort-of re-assure your metabolism that you're not starving on your high intake days.. and i noticed i didn't plateau when i cycled as opposed to when i did low intake everyday.

Now I took it a bit further :) and do 2 days low calorie + low carb, 3 days medium calorie balanced 33% carb 33% protein 33% fat, then 2 days of high intake eating whatever i want :)

I like this last one the best. with like 2-3 days of cardio during the week.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Quite like the idea because I get to have high cals on some days, lower cals on others, matching my workout plans AND give my calorie-watching mind a bit of a rest.

(a good overview here http://www.answerfitness.com/316/zig-zag-dieting-fitness-nerd/)

I did a version of this for weight loss (JUDDD). Loved it :)

Here's a calculator that will zig zag your calories for you-after you enter the info there's a zig zag option
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • eso2012
    Options

Here's a calculator that will zig zag your calories for you-after you enter the info there's a zig zag option

thanks!
  • emy200
    emy200 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I did a version of this for weight loss (JUDDD). Loved it :)

• emy200
    emy200 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am going to try this.:smile: