C25K question

Options
I have searched the forums, but haven't really found an answer to my question...

I want to start C25K. Due to the wonderful midwest winter, I need to do it inside for now and don't have a treadmill. Space is limited...so if I do C25K inside, would it still work if I just walk/jog/run in place???

Please be nice! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Technically no, but you can go ahead and get a cardio workout doing that anyway. Walking or jogging in place is not going to have the same effect as actually propelling yourself forward.

Unless the sidewalks/roads are especially icy or covered over, the snow needn't be a deterrent.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I don't feel you would be working at the same way you would if you were running on the ground just running in place. Like poster above said, unless it's icy, just lace up, dress for the weather and get it done. Is there a track in your area?
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The roads are icy right now. I do not have an iPod or something that is mobile. However, I do have an iPad (well, it's for my classroom, but I use it anyway!) and was hoping to do something inside until the ice is gone and I can buy (or borrow) an iPod. No tracks around either...small town in the boonies.

Maybe I could walk/jog (until I can run) around the room?
  • michellelhartwig
    Options
    Hello! Anyone out there?
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You mentioned a classroom.. are you a teacher? Is there a school gymnasium for the kids? I would just go run around that, I'm sure you have access in the early mornings/after classes. Can even figure out the distance of a lap so you can track how far you're running if you want.
  • bigbear167
    bigbear167 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    how about going to a local mall and walking at a brisk pace :smile:
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio stuff to get your heart more prepared. Muscles are more activity specific. To get better at running, you run, etc.

Try walking around the mall or Walmart or whatever. Is there a community center or something local that is free that you could run around the inside.

You could always fill up your bathtub with water and put a barrel in it and run on that...
  • michellelhartwig
    Options
    You could always fill up your bathtub with water and put a barrel in it and run on that...

@ Toddis: Best idea yet!!! :laugh:

Thanks people! There is a gym, used before school for wrestling and after school for Bball...I could roam around Walmart-God knows I spend enough time there already! No malls around for 30+ miles...There is a community center, but I think there is a flat fee...I'll have to check it out. In the interim, another friend recommended using Wii Fit Plus Free Run in conjunction with the C25K app. Not ideal, but it should get my heart rate up.
  • InvalidCharacters
    Options
    hey there - not exactly c25k, but if you go to youtube and search for leslie sansone you will find some walking-in-place videos that can be done at home.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The roads are icy right now. I do not have an iPod or something that is mobile. However, I do have an iPad (well, it's for my classroom, but I use it anyway!) and was hoping to do something inside until the ice is gone and I can buy (or borrow) an iPod. No tracks around either...small town in the boonies.

Why can't you go outside? There are spikes you can put on your shoes, and dress warm.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I would say if your limited to space, don't limit yourself to jogging on the spot. Jumping jacks, high knees, skipping, tire jumps, boxing (punching the air lol), box jumps, burpees, squat jumps, will all get your heart rate up much faster than jogging IMO.

Good luck!
  • michellelhartwig
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the suggestions! :happy:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Why can't you go outside? There are spikes you can put on your shoes, and dress warm.

this or wait until you can logistically run unencumbered to start the program. unless you're running you're not really doing the c25k program.
  • michellelhartwig
    Options
    [/quote]

this or wait until you can logistically run unencumbered to start the program. unless you're running you're not really doing the c25k program.
    [/quote]

Doesn't it start out with walking/jogging intervals? I understand it is a program meant to get people running...maybe I misunderstood when I read it?

Thanks again for everyone's comments! :happy:
  • michellelhartwig
    Options
    hey there - not exactly c25k, but if you go to youtube and search for leslie sansone you will find some walking-in-place videos that can be done at home.

I do have a few of Leslie Sansone's dvds and I do like them...just want to shake things up a bit! :smile:
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    [/quote] Doesn't it start out with walking/jogging intervals? I understand it is a program meant to get people running...maybe I misunderstood when I read it?

Thanks again for everyone's comments! :happy:
    [/quote]

The programme is walk/jog intervals. For e.g. day 1, warm up walk 5 mins, then jog at your own pace for 60 seconds, walk for 2 or maybe 3 mins, jog for 60 seconds. Do this 6 x on day 1. Day 2 as day 1 (from memory) and so on building up so you're jogging more than walking. It's a great programme (done it myself). Do you have an MP3 player? That's what I used. Just downloaded the podcasts to it via my laptop. Wait until your weather improves (C25K is a 9 week programme). In the meantime try going up and down sets of stairs (if you have any in your house great) or jump rope, or hula hoop (youtube have hula hoop exercises). Any movement is great.
  • michellelhartwig
    Options
    The programme is walk/jog intervals. For e.g. day 1, warm up walk 5 mins, then jog at your own pace for 60 seconds, walk for 2 or maybe 3 mins, jog for 60 seconds. Do this 6 x on day 1. Day 2 as day 1 (from memory) and so on building up so you're jogging more than walking. It's a great programme (done it myself). Do you have an MP3 player? That's what I used. Just downloaded the podcasts to it via my laptop. Wait until your weather improves (C25K is a 9 week programme). In the meantime try going up and down sets of stairs (if you have any in your house great) or jump rope, or hula hoop (youtube have hula hoop exercises). Any movement is great.

I do not have an MP3 player or iPod. I do have access to an iPad, but that's not very outdoor friendly. I could go up and down the stairs...I didn't think of that! Thanks a bunch! :smile:
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

I do not have an MP3 player or iPod. I do have access to an iPad, but that's not very outdoor friendly. I could go up and down the stairs...I didn't think of that! Thanks a bunch! :smile:

All you need is a stopwatch