girlfriends squats need fixed pls help

Options
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zviPAfIIdYs

I have tried telling her to do less weight and get deeper, but I'm not great at giving advice on squats could anyone out there help us out.

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Not going deep enough. Lose the pad.
  • dylankight
    dylankight Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thats what she said.. couldn't resist
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Achieving very little with that, she's just bouncing. Slow and deep with have faaar better results
  • dylankight
    dylankight Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree. Not getting low enough and she needs to push through her heels. Getting low enough will help but she should generate her power through her heels. Also, she should fill her stomach with air on the way down. Form is important. She's hot and lifting, go you!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I concur. Also noted she isn't doing it in the smith so that is a plus. Srs lose the pad. Nothing screams wimpy girl more.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Have her try it with just the bar and see if she can increase range of motion. When I first learned to squat, my trainer put a low step under my butt and my goal was to lower myself until I felt my butt brush the top of the step. That helped me learn that I was fully capable of controlling my BW squat through the full range of motion. After that it was easier to maintain form as I added weight.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'd probably get her to box squat so she can learn some depth and fix that curve in her back. Also make sure her upper back is tight. A cue can be that she is pulling the bar into her shoulders.

Do you two do mobility drills prior to squatting?
  • stakergoku
    stakergoku Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think we both lack flexibility in our hamstrings/calves we are working on stretching, normally I have her warm up a few sets with lighter weight, any suggestions on mobility work?
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Deep lunges are good, and I always warm up with some air squats.

Using a lacrosse ball on your glutes can really help your mobility as well.
  • harriethayes
    harriethayes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    She needs to lean back into the squat more. So her weight is further back rather than leaning over her toes. Also don't curve the spine quite so much, it'll only give her bad lower back pain in the long run!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a band ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwIqeBy0t28 )

General ( http://youtu.be/EFZigzEhYcU )
    I find the spider man helps a lot
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think we both lack flexibility in our hamstrings/calves we are working on stretching, normally I have her warm up a few sets with lighter weight, any suggestions on mobility work?

Agile 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B-3Khbht5s or Limber 11. Also, do a bodyweight squat ATG and hold at the bottom, clasp your hands together and use your elbows to push your knees out. I do these before I do any barbell squats.

She's nowhere near parallel and definitely needs to lower the bar a bit, so she can get rid of the pad.
  • stakergoku
    Options
    Thanks we will try these stretches for sure, also why is everyone saying she cant use the pad what does it do besides make her look like a wimp?
  • SpiffyMom87
    SpiffyMom87 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    imo to much weight, she not pushing from the heels. You can see this because shes leaning forward making the squat pointless :( upright as possible and from the heels that gets results. easier said than done, thankfully she has a spotter to catch it. also do yoga once a week to gain flexibility. i love jillian michals yoga
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    If she wants to keep the pad, tell her to keep it! I do and I highly doubt I look wimpy! *smh* :noway: Who cares what people think of me anyways? I'm working out for me, not them.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    why is everyone saying she cant use the pad what does it do besides make her look like a wimp?
    There's more to it, than looking wimpy. :smile:
    From StrongLifts:

1. You can’t position the bar correctly. This is even more true if you wrap a towel around the bar: the bar will end up higher on your back, and the higher the bar the worse your leverage. Granted, not that big of a deal with light weights, but it will be once you Squat heavier weights.

2. You can’t “feel” the bar – it’s like Squatting in running shoes: you have to Squat barefoot/with Chuck’s to feel the difference. The only way you’ll feel the bar using a pad is if the weight is heavy enough, but then…

3.… the bar pad will be useless when you get stronger (which you will with StrongLifts 5×5). Here’s why: the weight will compress the pad and then you’ll lose the cushion ability. So any short-term benefit, you will lose. Drop the pad now instead of waiting until your back gets thicker and remember to position the barbell correctly on your back (not on your spine).
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    First things first. She's in the right place with the right attitude and her form isn't miles off.

If she didn't have the pad, she'd put the bar lower down where her traps are and not in her neck.

Her head is leaning too far back.

Not low enough. She looks like she can go lower without issue, but until we see her try we don't know.

Shoe stability appears to be an issue.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Both of your forms need work. Not even hitting parallel. Lower the weight and squat with correct depth.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

In her case, the shallow depth probably isn't a flexibility issue - she's just not trying to go deeper. She's bouncing right back up instead of seeing how far down she get get. The step / box suggestion mentioned earlier is a good one.

By the way, don't use Youtube's image stabilization feature - it warps the view and makes it hard to check form.
  • stakergoku
    Options
    A low-bar squat position will probably help her get lower. She will need to reposition the bar, and that will probably require losing the pad (nothing to do with wimpiness, cruiser gave the reasons).

I post this guide all the time but I'm not going to stop--it helped me drastically improve my squat.
    2i7yf78.jpg

low bar is what I do I believe

why is everyone saying she cant use the pad what does it do besides make her look like a wimp?
    There's more to it, than looking wimpy. :smile:
    From StrongLifts:

1. You can’t position the bar correctly. This is even more true if you wrap a towel around the bar: the bar will end up higher on your back, and the higher the bar the worse your leverage. Granted, not that big of a deal with light weights, but it will be once you Squat heavier weights.

2. You can’t “feel” the bar – it’s like Squatting in running shoes: you have to Squat barefoot/with Chuck’s to feel the difference. The only way you’ll feel the bar using a pad is if the weight is heavy enough, but then…

3.… the bar pad will be useless when you get stronger (which you will with StrongLifts 5×5). Here’s why: the weight will compress the pad and then you’ll lose the cushion ability. So any short-term benefit, you will lose. Drop the pad now instead of waiting until your back gets thicker and remember to position the barbell correctly on your back (not on your spine).

Thanks for explaining that.