Recipes for a fussy eater

Options
Help! I am trying so hard to lose weight, however I'm having difficulty finding recipes and meal ideas as I am such a fussy eater, and absolutely can't stand most vegetables, salad or fish. Everything about the taste, smell and texture make me feel sick, although I do like most fruits, and can just about tolerate carrots and onions. Can anybody suggest any healthy meals that I can prepare that don't include vegetables or fish?

I am also a complete soda addict and I'm really struggling to give this up, although I have switched to the diet, sugar free kind.

Replies

• AndreaLS687
    AndreaLS687 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am not big on veggies either. i will not eaat raw veggies at all but i do cook with a lot of them. Most of the time you can't taste them. i loove making spaghetti with spinach ricotta sauce. i cut up zucchini into spaghetti sized ribbon and use half pasta half zucchini. it's super good.
  • yasminedanielle14
    Options
    Thanks! I am one of those people who spends ages eating though as I end up inspecting every bite of my food looking for lurking veggies and pick them all out haha, maybe I should try eating with my eyes closed!
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't dig though looking for every little piece of vegetable, if your not looking for them you may not even notice their in that dish. My family has always 'hid' Vegetables to get me and my brother plus... all our super picky friends to just eat it. Just chop veggies up into super tiny pieces you shouldn't notice them.

You might like Chicken Tetrazini, We can get even the pickiest people to eat it and never notice there is anything healthy in it. If you like you can start with half of the vegetables of this recipe and chop them super fine (even use a blender and drain them some if you like).

Chicken Tetrazini Recipe:
    Raw Chicken 1.25 Lb
    Fresh Mushrooms (8oz)
    3 Stalks Celery
    2 Bell Pepper
    2 Onion
    Thin Spaghetti ( Whole Grain)
    1 Package Shredded Parmesan (6oz)
    1 Package Sliced Mozzarella (12 slices)
    2 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup (Fit n Active) (you can use regular cream of mushroom soup instead of the fit n active for more flavor and more calories, it will help hide the vegetables. )
    1 cup Milk
    Olive Oil

1. Cook Chicken in Olive oil, Tear apart into small pieces.
    2. Chop Vegetables into small pieces. (Mushrooms, Onions, Celery, Peppers)
    3. Prepare Thin Spaghetti.
    4. Suttee Vegetables in Little olive oil. Don't completely drain. Note: don't over cook them, under cooked is best, they will cook more in the oven.
    5. In a large baking pan, Mix the Mushroom soup, Parmesan and Milk.
    6. Add Spaghetti into the baking pan sauce, Mix lightly.
    7. Add Vegetables and Chicken into the banking pan sauce & noodles. Note: Leaving some vegetable juice in the mix adds more flavor, But don't add too much to make the dish runny.
    8. Mix the Ingredients in the Baking pan Well.
    9. Layer Mozzarella slices over the top of the dish.
    Bake for 15-30 min (technically everything is precooked so your just warming it up and melting the cheese.)
    Makes 8-12 servings, 342 calories a serving for 12 servings.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Also, I"m a soda addict too, or was... My husband has helped me to drink less soda by having Iced tea or Kool-aid prepared, instead of being forced to drink water. I'm even down to only using 2/3 cup sugar in a gallon, but that's after months of my husband dropping the sugar lower without me noticing.
  • yasminedanielle14
    Options
    Thanks, I think I need to be more brave and try new things, your recipe sounds delicious! My partner has also been very supportive and when he cooks, he also blends vegetables into sauces etc and I hardly notice they are there! Don't know wether it's just the texture of the vegetables?

ahh are you another sugar addict? I was drinking nearly 2 litres of full fat, full sugar coca cola a day, as well as piling the weight on it has also ruined my teeth, I'm finding fruit, honey and yoghurt is really satisfying the sugar cravings!
  • princessariane
    princessariane Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hate most vegetables. I tried most of the recipes in here (but spinach brownies didn't work): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UZNREG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000UZNREG&linkCode=as2&tag=themarsqu08-20
    and about half that are in here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CYERRM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004CYERRM&linkCode=as2&tag=themarsqu08-20
    It really helped me get used to the taste of them, and I was able to incorporate more. I started at 2 vegetables that I ate (tomato sauce and potatoes haha) 6 years ago, and now I'm up to 11. Good luck, it's hard to find good healthy food w/o the veggies!
  • yasminedanielle14
    Options
    Thanks, I'll definitely check that out! :)
  • NicholePotato
    NicholePotato Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You could blend some vegetables into smoothies with fruit so that you can't taste them. Zucchini or cauliflower pancakes don't really taste like vegetables.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    See if you can find a used copy of the cookbook Deceptively Delicious. The idea behind the book was to add veggie puree to food so it become more of a sauce and adds nutrition to foods so kids would eat it. One recipe adds butternut or cauliflower puree to mac and cheese. Just a thought.
  • dklibert
    Options
    This taste more like enchilada soup. You don't taste the pumpkin. You could add shredded chicken to it.

Sassy Salsa Pumpkin Soup
    Source: Hungry Girl
    (Serves 4 - calories: 162.5, fat: 0.75g, sodium: 1128mg, carbs: 13, fiber: 12g, sugars: 6.5g, protein: 10g = 3 Points)

Ingredients:
    Non-stick cooking spray
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp cumin
    4 cups Fat Free broth (chicken or vegetable)
    15 oz. can pure pumpkin
    1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 cup corn
    3/4 cup salsa (this is where you can add or reduce the spiciness)
    Optional toppings: shredded reduced-fat or fat-free cheese, and reduced-fat or fat free sour cream

Directions:
    Spray pot with non-stick cooking spray and heat pan on medium. Add garlic, chili powder and cumin, and stir for one minute. Add broth to the spices, and bring to a simmer. Add pumpkin and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. This soup can be served with a sprinkle of cheese and a little fat free sour cream on top. Serves 4.
  • fayefayee5
    fayefayee5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was/am a sugar addict, especially chocolate and sweets. My cravings usually hit at night, and honestly, simply by resisting my cravings have drastically reduced. That being said I do still give in, just make sure I log it and its in my calorie limit.

Snacks like chocolate mousse, caramel rice cakes, grilled banana with yogurt etc are my go-to's when the sweet tooth hits. I also keep some chocolate in the freezer, for me I find because its so hard and cold Im more prone to sucking on it, rather than devouring it quickly, so a square or two is all I need to get a quick choccie fix :D

I used to be a diet soda queen, and could easily drink 5+ cans a day, I thought because it had no calories it was fine to drink, but in all honestly my water intake was taking a hit. Now ive swapped to 90% water and just have the odd diet soda when im having a cocktail etc. I buy the water mix ins (my fave are from walmart, blueberry acai) and they help make it not so boring.

Cant help much on the savoury front as I am a vegetable junkie, and love most of them haha.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Do you eat soups or stews? Good way to eat veg and soups are really good calorie wise (recommend using a low sodium broth).

Other than that eat what you actually like and maybe every time you shop buy one small veggie you haven't tried. You could also chop them small and put them in your pasta sauces etc (zucchini has virtually no taste)

Or try making smoothies - you can throw a big handful of spinach or kale in a smoothie that has mostly fruit and you won't even taste it.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Carrot and Raisin Salad

6 Tbsp. raisins, washed and drained
    2 C. grated carrots
    1 C. drained, crushed pineapple in own juice
    1/3 C. lite Mayonnaise
    1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 pkgs. Sugar substitute

Toss raisins, carrots and pineapple together. Set aside. Stir together Mayonnaise, lemon Juice, salt, and sweetener. Add to carrot mixture.
    Keep refrigerated until serving.
    Serves: 8
    NI: Chol: 3 mg, Carbo: 14 gm, Fat: 3 gm, Calories: 85, Protein: 1 gm, sodium: 159 mg
    Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat

OR

Grate carrots, toast some sunflower seeds, and toss with blueberries, olive oil, lemon juice and plenty of black pepper. Sweet, sour, crunchy, soft.

OR

Carrot Soup

I copied this on the other day.

Carrot Soup

Ingredients

2-3 large carrots, chopped small
    1 onion, chopped small
    1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
    1-1/2 tsp curry powder
    1-3/4 cup vegetable broth
    1 (14 ounce) can lite-coconut milk
    sea salt, to taste

Preparation

Simmer the carrots, onions, ginger and curry powder in vegetable broth for 20-25 minutes, until carrots are soft.

Allow to cool slightly, and then puree in blender, working in batches if needed.

Return to heat and stir in coconut milk until well combined.

Season generously with sea salt, to taste.
  • pensfan1
    pensfan1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like me. No salad, fish, limited veggies, etc. I'm also a recovering soda addict. Anyway, a few things work well for me. I do force down raw carrots a few times a week. I also actually like tomatoes and cucumber raw, so that tends to work well.

I do eat veggies if I make vegetable soup, believe it or not. I still do what you do and analyze eat bite to make sure a lima bean doesn't sneak in, but I just do beef broth, potatoes, a bag of frozen soup veggies, cabbage and a can of diced tomatoes. I add beef boullion and a LOT of pepper. I promise, I'm not a veggie eater but I actually like this a lot. Might be worth a try.

I'm guessing you probably eat your share of chicken. My latest chicken favorite is chicken breast, 1 can of cream of chicken soup, and 1/2 cup of chicken broth in the crock pot for 8 hours on low. I usually serve it over a small serving of egg noodles or rice. Love it. And best of all it reheats well for leftovers at lunchtime.

Other things that I can stand - baked potatoes, lots of fruit, hamburger made from extra lean ground beef, and chicken in about 5 different ways.

For the soda issue, I've found that either switching to water completely or letting myself "cheat" with a propel or 60 calories of kool aid once in a while works. If I deprive myself completely of favor, I reach for soda again.
  • katreecer
    katreecer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So glad that I saw this. I struggle with the taste and texture of veggies and fruit, so I have to work really hard to find a veggie that I can eat without gagging. My daughter's coach suggested cooking cauliflower until it is soft, pureeing it, and adding a little butter and cheese. He says that it tastes like mashed potatoes without the carbs.
    When I cook chicken breasts with cream of chicken soup in the crock pot. I will serve it with rice and steamed broccoli. I can actually eat broccoli that way:)

I am addicted to soda as well, and I am in the process of eliminating it from my life. I drink lots of water, and I have herbal tea in the afternoon. I found that I like Lemon Zinger. I do let myself have one soda with Jameson when I have lunch with my hubby on the day off while the girls are in school.

Good luck!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    How do you typically eat your vegetables? My boyfriend never liked vegetables, but he always tries what I make and he loves the veggies I prepare. Have you tried lightly steaming them to maintain the crunch and putting different seasonings on them? Vegetables are often bland and boring and I'm convinced that's what most people don't like about them. Sometimes I sautee my veggies in some olive oil or butter and douse them with salt, pepper and garlic or some southwest seasoning and a bit of cheese.
  • tigergem86
    tigergem86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Try slowly switching out your soda with Minute Maid water enhancer. I like this one better than mio, dasani or powerade. Have you tried casseroles? this is a good way to get veggies in
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If texture is an issue (which I totally understand, I have certain textures that sleeve me out) you should get a grater and grate mild veggies (carrots, potato, zucchini, yams, etc) into your pasta dishes, cheese sauces, tomato sauces, stews, casseroles….I make a hearty mac and cheese for picky kids that includes white beans and finely chopped rainbow chard (or any other leafy green). All things become delicious when engulfed by cheese. As for the purees, my example would be something like a basic butternut squash soup…my fav is made creamy and seasoned with curry powder.
    It may not be the taste you don't like, it may be the presentation.