Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
13»

Replies

• beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I hated the taste so I stopped consuming it but I did use it to get rid of 2 warts and a mole. I've been PM'd about this before so here's the link I refer people to. http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/removal-of-warts-using-apple-cider-vinegar.html

It hurts like hell but was worth it to me since I had the warts for over twenty years and no other treatment got rid of them.
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I tried it for heartburn once when I was pregnant. It made me puke, which stopped the heartburn for a while. Win!
  • wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's great as a hair conditioner!

I'm weird and love the taste of vinegar so sometimes I had a splash to my water bottle, but I don't think it has any additional health benefits.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Careful. It excoriates your tooth enamel and that is not restorative, I would use very little of it and drink water to flush it off the surface and crevases of your teach It's an ascorbic acid.

^This. See this Pubmed abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23373303
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't know about for weight loss but I can tell you that you can get rid of strep throat with it! When you start getting sick, gargle a cap full. Do it every hour until you're better.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I took it last year. It did seem to clear up my face. I put a little bit in a glass and dilute with a cup or two of water. Even then I had to choke it down. It tastes awful to me. I always had to follow with a shot of water and a my fruit smoothie to get rid of the taste. For that reason, I do not drink it now. I heard that some people use water syringes to avoid contact with teeth. But a straight shot could do other damage to your throat area. Still have the taste issue.

In regards to price - it is very inexpensive for Braggs. A big bottle goes for maybe 8 bucks at the vitamin shop.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I do 2T ACV with 1C grapefruit juice 3x daily before each meal for energy, but I do notice It curbs appetite so yes it can help in weight loss. I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypersomnia, basically my body is tired all the time. I was put on welbutrin and Adderall for energy but I still needed more. I saw someone made a comment of how this drink gave her so much energy. I started drinking it two week a go on a Monday that same day I saw a energy boost by Thursday of that week I starting to wake up in the morning without feeling fatigued and continued all day. It is still doing it's job. My skin is so much better and yes I am losing weight. This has saved my life.
    bump
  • tenatroy1
    Options
    It makes great hair conditioner!
  • ashleysarvi
    Options
    I add a tablespoon to my green tea every night with a tablespoon of honey. I really have no idea of it works, but with all the possible benefits I figure it certainly cant hurt me. Also it helps me relax. At first I hated the taste, but now I love it and cant drink my tea without it :drinker:
  • JStebs
    Options
    I take ACV pills daily. THey seem to be helping with weight loss. As for studies showing its effectiveness, I cannot answer that.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is really true, but I've read that a couple of TBS a day (in water if you can't take the taste) will help naturally to decrease body odor from the inside out!

If anyone knows if thats true.. let me know!! I think that would be a great natural way to help in the summer, cause I sweat like a PIG! UGH!!!
    (sorry.. I don't meant to hijack the forum post!! Oops!)

I have heard this as well, but can't speak for it's validity. However, there's zero harm in trying that I can think of. I say go for it!

Yes this is true
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the claims of it are false. It's not a miracle elixir. But I know that it *does* help with indigestion. I have gerd, and drinking a tbsp of ACV helps calm my stomach a bit quicker than taking tums does. And it's good as a hair rinse, if you're into the no shampooing thing.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    i use it to help with my blood sugar numbers....it worked for me
  • DynamicDiva
    DynamicDiva Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I take 1-2 tbsp. every morning. I use Bragg's ACV---it's organic

This is the information that you can find on WebMD

Scientific Evidence of Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits

But there are some medical uses of vinegar that do have promise, at least according to a few studies. Here's a rundown of some more recent ones.
    Diabetes. The effect of vinegar on blood sugar levels is perhaps the best researched and the most promising of apple cider vinegar's possible health benefits. Several studies have found that vinegar may help lower glucose levels. For instance, a 2007 study of 11 people with type 2 diabetes found that taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed lowered glucose levels in the morning by 4%-6%.

High cholesterol . A 2006 study showed evidence that vinegar could lower cholesterol. However, the study was done in rats, so it's too early to know how it might work in people.

Blood pressureand heart health. Another study in rats found that vinegar could lower high blood pressure. A large observational study also found that people who ate oil and vinegar dressing on salads five to six times a week had lower rates of heart disease than people who didn't. However, it's far from clear that the vinegar was the reason.

Cancer . A few laboratory studies have found that vinegar may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth. Observational studies of people have been confusing. One found that eating vinegar was associated with a decreased risk of esophageal cancer. Another associated it with an increased risk of bladder cancer.

Weight Loss . For thousands of years, vinegar has been used for weight loss. White vinegar (and perhaps other types) might help people feel full. A 2005 study of 12 people found that those who ate a piece of bread along with small amounts of white vinegar felt fuller and more satisfied than those who just ate the bread.

While the results of these studies are promising, they are all preliminary. Many were done on animals or on cells in a lab. The human studies have been small. Before we will truly know whether vinegar has any health benefits, much larger studies are needed.
  • duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have used vinegar on so many things that its a complete wonder why I never tried ingesting it intentionally. I use it nightly in my dishwasher to make my glasses sparkle and I use it as a windex often when my husband steals the windex for his truck. Lately I have been drinking Pomegranate Vinegar as suggested by Dr. Oz. It tastes both Pomegranatey and straight up harsh vinegar at the same time. Forewarned...on an empty stomach you will pay the piper. I have had severe heart burn all day. Do NOT drink ACV or any other version on an empty stomach. I do not mix mine with anything else. I was just swigging straight fromt he bottle cowboy style ~ cause its mine. After readign about the enamel depleting and espophageal damage I may rethink my poor manners and add it to something else. One lady told me in the ggrocery store that I should add it to a cup of water with a tablespoon of Baking soda. She says she feels fantastic. I am reticent. Vinegar and baking soda can clear a clogged drain. I don't know if I need that in my intestines or stomach. I don't have any clogs. :) I wish I could say it was causing me to lose weight. If it does, you will be the first to know. So far I'm still a fatty.