Ridiculous clothing sizing in shops.

Options

Replies

• RadioactivePirate
    Options
    It all varies. Yesterday I bought a fleece lined hoodie in an XS and put it on over my t-shirt sized XL, and then picked up a size 6 dress and a size 12 pair of dress pants. You just gotta go with what fits.
  • GSXRGIRL61
    GSXRGIRL61 Posts: 6,281 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and thanks. This thread made me go to the Ann Taylor site to check out pants. And yes, I did order a pair. So wasn't going to do that.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm with all of you in that clothing sizes are just downright frustrating. I have everything from a 8/10 to a 16 in my wardrobe - it's absolutely ridiculous. My Hanes sweatpants are a medium (8/10), my Izod workout shorts are a medium (8/10), yet my Lee Riders (jeans) are a 16, and I wear a 16 (almost 14) in Old Navy.

It's absolutely RIDICULOUS. It's never this hard for men - my husband wears a size 32 in pants, period, no matter who makes them or what they are. Is it some kind of conspiracy in the fashion world to make women feel like utter poo about themselves? Ugh.

I just wear what fits me. I don't care what the number says. But it would make it so much easier for me to know one number, flat out, so that I could shop online for what I need. Right now I just make a note of the brand name, size number, and do it that way.

Very frustrating.

ETA: I'm thinking about learning how to sew so that I can just make my own damn clothes - sizing be damned.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing is my pet peeve. No way am I a size 4 at 128lbs when I used to wear a size 2 in high school (1988) and was an itty bitty 98lbs. There was no such thing as a size 0 back then either. Wish they just kept sizing how it used to be, It doesn't make me feel better knowing my pants are conspiring to lie to me :laugh:
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    I can wear my mom's 36 size pants, while my own pants are like what, 40 to 42?

And sometimes i get really sad when i see something cute but they don't have my size ;(.
    And i'm only 2 kg overweight.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    don't let clothing sizes derail you. You're a lovely looking young woman. Choose comfort and styles that you are confident in and enoy wearing.
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes, sizing is crazy. The only place I'll order pants online from is the LOFT. Their 8 curvy fit pants almost always fit me perfectly. Other than that, it's a crap shoot. You would think retailers would realize that if all clothes actually conformed to the same standards, people would order more online. Anyway, don't let the size bother you. Go with what looks good on you.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm a small-XL in the same shop.

I wouldn't let a label upset my identity, but since my range is so ridiculous, it's not like I could take it seriously anyway.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Yes, sizing is crazy. The only place I'll order pants online from is the LOFT. Their 8 curvy fit pants almost always fit me perfectly. Other than that, it's a crap shoot. You would think retailers would realize that if all clothes actually conformed to the same standards, people would order more online. Anyway, don't let the size bother you. Go with what looks good on you.

Or should we start the conspiracy theory that they do it on purpose, banking in that we'll not return them (because I will be that size one day) and end up buying more clothes?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It actually doesn't bother me when the clothing runs small. I need it to run small in order to find something that actually fits. If someone much larger than me (and I simply mean frame size, and do not in any way mean over weight) is wearing the small, then what am I going to wear. I would not worry about the sizing. Just be glad if we can all find something that fits. And as other people said... in North America I wear a 00 to a 2 (and in some stores the 00 is too big). But, in Europe I'd probably wear a 2 to a 6. I honestly see no purpose in aiming for a size. It has a lot to do with frame size. So, whatever size you are does not matter, only matters that you are fit.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    ETA: I'm thinking about learning how to sew so that I can just make my own damn clothes - sizing be damned.

I've got 3 pair of pants and a couple of suits made by a tailor- no size labels at all! Not recommended till you get to your target weight, though.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    The variation is frustrating. Yesterday I picked up 2 pairs of trousers in a sale, 1 pair a size I'm now squeezing into, the other pair the next size down (they were a more summery material). As they were very cheap I didn't bother trying them on until I got home. I got home and found the supposedly bigger size are the same if not slightly smaller than the next size down. Not a big deal as it means I now have 2 pairs of 'next size down' but irritating.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I tend to only shop in a couple of different stores. I know their sizing.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely RIDICULOUS. It's never this hard for men - my husband wears a size 32 in pants, period, no matter who makes them or what they are. Is it some kind of conspiracy in the fashion world to make women feel like utter poo about themselves? Ugh.

There is no conspiracy. I'm a large T-Shirt at K-Mart, but I'm an XL button up shirt in the same store! (K-Mart and Target for interim and goal clothes ftw lol).

I have some more expensive shirts from a hemp fashion place and the large is just right on some shirts but a bit big on a different shirt from the same shop.

I guess S, L, XL sizing is in the eyes of the beholder. There doesn't seem to be a set measurement.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    There are certain pieces of clothing I never ever buy on line with pants & bras leading the list.
    Ditto for bathing suits,talk about crazy sizing:grumble:

No size involved,but I love purses,know just what I want. That means ...go shopping.:cry:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    There are certain pieces of clothing I never ever buy on line with pants & bras leading the list.
    Ditto for bathing suits,talk about crazy sizing:grumble:

With bras and bathing suits I often have no choice, but to purchase online since it's a challenge to find my size in stores.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum and find most clothing runs larger or they just don't carry the less common smaller sizes.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I just hate that there is no way to know your size, not that I care what size it's called.

I even ordered a pair of skinny jeans online in 2 different colors, using the given size chart. One pair fit and the other was at least a size smaller, just for being a different color! It's like they don't even have to care about quality control in sizing and that it's a given we have to try every single item on first. So frustrating!
  • kazxoxx
    kazxoxx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Its the same here in the UK.
    In 1 shop I am 14, in another a 16 and in another an 18.
    Its stupid

Haha - go to M&S, youll be a 10 or a 12 there (there's not much I like but it's great buying a 10). I stear clear of new look and la senza - they would have me buying 18s, the b@stards.
    you actually made me LOL! And so true !
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    It's a conspiracy - all clothing designers had a meeting a decided that if they all sized things differently it would drive women insane - like we needed just one more thing to drive us nuts :grumble:
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I wear anything from a size 10 to a size 16 in pants and a size medium to a size extra large in tops depending on the brand, cut, and style I buy. Don't worry about the tag size. No one sees it but you. Just buy what fits.