girlfriends squats need fixed pls help

Options
2»

Replies

• stakergoku
    stakergoku Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First things first. She's in the right place with the right attitude and her form isn't miles off.

If she didn't have the pad, she'd put the bar lower down where her traps are and not in her neck.

Her head is leaning too far back.

Not low enough. She looks like she can go lower without issue, but until we see her try we don't know.

Shoe stability appears to be an issue.

What type of shoes would you suggest , and would going barefoot be better then her current shoes?
  • stakergoku
    stakergoku Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think we both lack flexibility in our hamstrings/calves we are working on stretching, normally I have her warm up a few sets with lighter weight, any suggestions on mobility work?

In her case, the shallow depth probably isn't a flexibility issue - she's just not trying to go deeper. She's bouncing right back up instead of seeing how far down she get get. The step / box suggestion mentioned earlier is a good one.

By the way, don't use Youtube's image stabilization feature - it warps the view and makes it hard to check form.

Oh, thanks for that tip haha
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Have her go in a Smith Machine until her form is nailed down. She won't have the fear of going too deep.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    First things first. She's in the right place with the right attitude and her form isn't miles off.

If she didn't have the pad, she'd put the bar lower down where her traps are and not in her neck.

Her head is leaning too far back.

Not low enough. She looks like she can go lower without issue, but until we see her try we don't know.

Shoe stability appears to be an issue.

What type of shoes would you suggest , and would going barefoot be better then her current shoes?

Barefoot, barefoot shoes (e.g. Vibrams) or proper lifting shoes. Running shoes are for running, not lifting.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I think we both lack flexibility in our hamstrings/calves we are working on stretching, normally I have her warm up a few sets with lighter weight, any suggestions on mobility work?

In her case, the shallow depth probably isn't a flexibility issue - she's just not trying to go deeper. She's bouncing right back up instead of seeing how far down she get get. The step / box suggestion mentioned earlier is a good one.

By the way, don't use Youtube's image stabilization feature - it warps the view and makes it hard to check form.

Oh, thanks for that tip haha

and if you're using your phone as a camera, hold it like a camera.

Say no to vertical videos.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    There is a lot wrong with her squat. I'd suggest getting a strength coach or trainer who knows about squats to teach her.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Is she asking for help? Not being a lifter I don't know much about that, but I do think you can't put her through exercises unless she's asking or you're her trainer. You can try, but I'd've mad if I were her. However, if it's a matter of safety, you absolutely should suggest solutions. If she doesn't want to hear them, recommend a trainer ( so she gets the info and you aren't the bad guy).
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (have brain injury and i may remeber where i read this ten years from now). That function is more important than form in lifting. That slower is better than quicker.

The premises being if you are lifting weights and have poor form you are still doing more than the sap who is sitting on the couch doing nothing. Even with poor form you can have achievements.

I know I will get blasted for this statement and sidelined with broscience but I believe it. Most days I dont know what I am doing in the gym. I watch other people, google stuff, and then try it out. I can tell you I KNOW my form is NOT on point and maybe my squats arent deep enough, but I have been trying, and since I am trying I am using muscle.

The results are AH MAY ZING

My arms are firm and tight, my stomach is almost flat, my back and shoulders and collar bones are stunning and my *kitten* is coming together marvelously.

Feel free to encourage her to better herself. However posting videos and trying to get "feedback" on what she is doing is "wrong" is not very motivational.

Perhaps let her do it her way with an occasional "lets try to do our squats a little deeper today." That way it is more about doing it together than pointing out what is wrong with her.

Just a thought from a woman is all.

Good luck.

Plugging away with bad form might not hurt you today or even tomorrow, but it'll get ya...
    Although there is something to be said about just doing it, some people get too in their heads to actually do the work.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Have her go in a Smith Machine until her form is nailed down. She won't have the fear of going too deep.

No. The Smith Machine puts your body in an unnatural position and can actually make things worse. :noway:

Converse Chuck Taylors or that type of shoe, has a flat sole that doesn't give or squish and gives you a firm foundation for squats/deadlifts.
    I read somewhere (have brain injury and i may remeber where i read this ten years from now). That function is more important than form in lifting. That slower is better than quicker.

The premises being if you are lifting weights and have poor form you are still doing more than the sap who is sitting on the couch doing nothing. Even with poor form you can have achievements.

Function and form are both important. Yes, you can have achievements with poor form, but, your risk of injury is much higher, so you may end up on the couch doing nothing but recovering from injury. Imagine what your achievements could be, if you used good form! :happy:
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Since I started doing SLDL my squats have got much lower. I think it helps with flexibility.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi

What I can see is,

She needs other shoes or bare feet.
    She needs to look slightly downward, not up.
    She needs to take some weight off till her form is better.
    She needs to take a deep breath into her diaphragm every rep to help stabilise her spine.
    She needs to lose the pad. (If she tried low back she wouldn't need it)
    She needs to straighten her wrists (thumbs on top would help this(or she'll end up supporting the weight there and not her back)).
    She needs to try to hit parallel or lower (so as she doesn't mess up her knees)
    She needs you to video from a different angle next time, so we can see everything :D

Sorry, that seems like a lot but it's better to correct it while the weight is light instead of getting injured later. I'd highly recommend 'starting strength' - ther are great tips on form and it explains all the reasons for doing/not doing things.