220lb and been told body fat is 28%... Doesn't sound right

Options
I've just read this blog post http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?page=20

and for it I did this http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bf/ body fat % where I put in my measurements.

I got 28% which is within the non obese range.. but my weight is not in that range.

I put my measurements in numerous times, and even checked I was measuring in the right place.

I work out 3/4 times a week, mostly working on muscle with a bit of cardio, BUT it just doesn't sound right?

Any ideas?

Replies

• melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with that calculator. It basically told me I was in the healthy average range, and I'm 244 lbs!

If you go to the link and click Tools, you'll see there's actually 3 different BF calculators. I calculated all three, and it seemed like the Military one was most accurate. I think it might have to do with the fact that I'm extremely tall with an hourglass shape.
  • hazstar
    Options
    I'll try that out! I'm a pear shape, all my weight is on my butt, hips and thighs haha
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    online body fat estimators/calculators are notorisouly inaccurate…and you really do not need body fat % to figure TDEE...
  • meglizbo
    Options
    I can tell you that I am at about 26% and I am 5'8" and 155lbs...so yeah, this sounds slightly off
  • hazstar
    Options
    Haha thats what I thought! I've done the military style one now and it sounds much better... Well not better, but as accurate as it could be for an online test.
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sounds wrong, how tall are you? If you are very tall, it is possible.
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Looking at that picture, you don't look 220lbs
  • hazstar
    Options
    I'm 5'7 :)
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Neat. I tried all three body fat calculators on that site, and apparently, my lean body mass is somewhere between 89.7 lb (military) and 146.4 lb (the one labelled "body fat")! The third gave me 128 lb lean body mass. For my height, "overweight" begins at 125, and while I am trying, in a subtle way, to build lean muscle mass, I'm inclined to believe the military one. (I walk and do yoga, using the yoga to build strength using my own body weight. It makes my joints less likely to complain compared to working out with weights.)

Anyhow, according to that first calculator, I would have to lose lean body mass to get to a normal weight. Doesn't seem plausible.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/ links to the three options
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think the only way you get accurate body fat % is using calipers or submerged in water. I don't think any calculator online would be accurate.

I also hate the BMI calculator. Most of my fitness/nutritionist friends think it's bogus because it doesn't differentiate between muscle weight and fat weight.

When I had 21% body fat, I was 150 lbs. and I am 5'7".
  • MINIRunner
    MINIRunner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Entering measurements is a totally inaccurate way of measuring body fat.

If you know someone who knows how to PROPERLY use calipers - that's your accurate way - 3, 5 or 7 site skinfold options.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I got 28% which is within the non obese range.. but my weight is not in that range.

I had a friend who was just professionally measured. He's 6'1", 225 pounds. 28%.

It's a safe bet you are considerably higher than that if you are approximately the same weight.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I did all 3 and got 11%, 23% and 25%. I would do all 3 and go for an average.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Honestly they aren't accurate, try some callipers, Ebay or Amazon are really cheap. Im not sure even then it's the MOST accurate, but it would be a better judgement than an online calculator. Although, just to agree- you don't look 220 x