What Is A Good Weight?

Options
I am 5'5'' and I wanted to pose this question to all of the fitness/health/nutrition buffs out there. Or just to see what some other women around or at my height had as a goal. I ask because I see a few women at 5'7'' and above shooting for a weight lower than my own goal weight? Should I be trying to lose more? My goal is 140lb. In most of my pics (including my main one) I am at 150-155lb.

What is a good weight for a woman of my height/stature? I am also part Samoan, Indian, African American, and White if that has anything to do with anything.

Replies

• maryellengallagher
    Options
    I am going by BMI. While I do care a lot about the looks part of it I care mostly about the health part of it. I want to get my BMI into a healthy range. The goal weight I set is based on that.
  • mamaisis09
    Options
    I thought that too, I am and have almost always been in a healthy BMI range, a bit high on the scale, but still under "healthy". I dunno...
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    it's different for everyone. it really depends on the frame, body type etc. I say do what works for you. You know your body, you know your frame type, etc. You know best what is right for you.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I just go by how I feel when I look at myself in the mirror. I base my number off of that. I have always been in the "healthy" category of BMI but it is a large range (when you're already in it that is). My range for healthy is 118-160. I am 5'7" and was 147 lbs. I could not see my abs even though I do 200 crunches and 50 situps every single day. I lost the extra 15 lbs and boom you can see my abs! They were hiding under a layer of fat. So I think you should definitely shoot for a healthy BMI AND for what you like to see in the mirror. :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 1/2" and I'm going for somewhere around 130 which is in the middle of my BMI range.
  • james3302
    Options
    Look around on this website and see.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/

You can search for pictures of women your height at various weights. It also shows their pants size.
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    im 5'6 and am aiming for 125lbs...right now im between 134 and 136 and my current photo shows how i wear this weight. Obviously i still need to tone hardcore but im not happy with the size just yet.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I place a lot more stock in body fat percentage, rather than BMI. I'm 5'4", and when I was in my early 20's, I was a little over 150, but pretty muscular, and looked good in my bikini. Now that I'm 29 and have had 2 c-sections, I know the belly fat is hanging on harder. At my current 140 pounds, I still have room for improvement before that bikini will even come close to looking as good as it did 5 years ago.
  • mamaisis09
    Options
    Thank you for all of the replies! Honestly I appreciate them, I'm just trying to think of myself in the 120s or 130s. I haven't been there since I was... oh I don't know maybe 14 or 15. If not younger. I just can't see myself as making that a goal, but when i see people taller than me trying for that you know, it makes me wonder...
  • thatklutzychick
    thatklutzychick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm with ashlee954 on this. Weight ain't nothin' but a number.

I've got a pretty slight frame, am 5'4" and weigh 122 to 124 depending on the day. The thing is though I'm not necessarily looking to be that weight any more, but that's what my body is toned for so I can run in half marathons and compete in triathlons. I initially hit my goal weight of 120, but the more exercising I do, the more muscle I'm gaining so the additional weight hasn't freaked me out. Realistically, I haven't even bothered to update my weight on this site because I feel good when I look in the mirror.

You know what you want to look and feel like. If you're at a "healthy" weight and you don't feel like you need to lose any more, rock it! (In a healthy way of course :wink:)
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    hey,

just want to thank the person whos suggested looking at http://www.mybodygallery.com/

I did and its an eye-opener! my partner always says i see myself through "woman eyes" rather than how I actually am... i guess he is right, a lot of woman (and maybe men too) see themselves bigger than they really are..

so thanks for the post!

Penny
  • mamaisis09
    Options
    Look around on this website and see.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/

You can search for pictures of women your height at various weights. It also shows their pants size.

Thanks! I really enjoyed this site!
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'4", 26, and have weighed 10st3 (143lb) for basically my whole adult life, peaking at 148lb earlier this year.

I knew I wanted to lose some weight but had no idea what was sensible – I thought 9st7 (133lb) would be fine, but when I reached that weight I didn't feel it was low enough for me. Now I'm at about 9st2 (128lb) and have decided to aim for 8st12 (124lb) then see how I feel!

I think you need to take BMI as a guide but honestly when you feel good you'll know! Set mini goals I reckon :o)

Good luck!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your body frame. If you have a small, medium or large body frame the weight will look different. That's why two people of the same height and weight can look completely different. It is helpful to have a weight loss goal in mind, it keeps us motivated and lets us know when we are on the right track. However, I also agree that body fat and other indicators are important. As you get closer to your goal weight you might start to shift your focus to something else. That's what I did. I'm focusing now on body fat percentage. That might be helpful if you are already in the healthy BMI range.

Here are two links that were helpful to me in choosing a goal weight.
    this first one is a body frame calculator measuring wrist circumference. It will tell you what type you are.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz

this one is a chart to tell you the healthy range for your height, weight and frame.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

hope this helps!