Exercises that won't add weight in muscle??

Options
I'm attempting to lose 25 pounds by the end of June. So roughly 5 pounds a month. My goals are to go back to my previous weight of 140 so I'm scared of doing any exercises outside of cardio (because muscle weights more than fat).

At the moment I use a spin bike for an hour 5 times a week (I'm building up to combining sitting and standing up while using it, as of now I keep the alternate the resistance between low-medium and peddle fast).

I'm curious what other exercises I could do that won't add muscle/weight but will help me lose weight and inches.

I feel like just doing the cardio & sticking with diet changes alone aren't going to give me the results I want.

Help?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You won't gain an appreciable amount of muscle at a calorie deficit and even if you did is the number on the scale so important that you'd honestly reject potential muscle growth? Really?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Go lift weights. You will not bulk up or gain weight unless you eat at a surplus and train accordingly ... that takes effort and a plan.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat. If you add it, you will appear smaller.

That aside, if you gain muscle on a caloric deficit, market that trick and make billions.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    In for muscle shaming...
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    The cool thing about muscle, besides staving off osteoporosis and a slew of other age-related things, is that it makes your body more compact...you might way 140, but you might look 125 because you aren't fluffy. Something to think about.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want to look good but have some values off a little I weighed less a year ago but was in a igger size because at that point I did not have much muscle tone now that I have built that up again I have ganed about 8 lbs but am a smaller size muscle weghs more but it takes up less room and keeps your metablism up which is what you want to be healthy bend looking good for one day isn't it? Add strength training toned is better in summer clothes than just looking at a scale promise you that one
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is decide what's more important, the number on the scale, or how your body looks in the mirror. If the number on the scale is what's most important, keep at what you are doing. If how you look in the mirror is more important, go pick up some weights and learn how to use them. Either way, if you're maintaining a deficit, you're not going to gain significant (read any) muscle weight.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

That aside, if you gain muscle on a caloric deficit, market that trick and make billions.
    Yeah but she doesn't want to look smaller, only weigh less.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Feeling generous.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Which, by the way, is one of those things that makes me weep for humanity.
  • meganlr_
    meganlr_ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well that's a lot of information I didn't know. Thanks to those that were friendly!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You're not going to gain any muscle while losing weight.

And trust me, you want to keep every ounce of muscle that you currently possess. That's where shape, tone, firmness comes from. The alternative is fat, which is jiggly and squishy and bumpy.
  • MINIRunner
    MINIRunner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The cool thing about muscle, besides staving off osteoporosis and a slew of other age-related things, is that it makes your body more compact...you might way 140, but you might look 125 because you aren't fluffy. Something to think about.

EXACTLY!!! I have a client who has only lost about 5# during her training, but by dropping her body fat and increasing her muscle by about 10%, she has lost 20+ inches and at least a couple of clothing sizes.

Stop obsessing about the number on the scale and think about how your clothes look/feel.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!! I have a client who has only lost about 5# during her training, but by dropping her body fat and increasing her muscle by about 10%, she has lost 20+ inches and at least a couple of clothing sizes.

Stop obsessing about the number on the scale and think about how your clothes look/feel.

A woman with a high body fat percent can do this, as can a man with a high body fat percent. Newbies gain muscle in a deficit all the time. What they don't gain is inches. Gaining inches in muscle (hypertrophy and volumetric gains) require eating at a surplus. Muscle density gains don't equate to hypertrophy.

Because muscle is denser, muscle gains do not translate to inch gains for many. I've added significant lean mass to the tune of about 9 pounds my first year of strength training. I lost a significant amount of body fat and ended up at a higher weight than when I started and a full size smaller.

When most people say you can't "gain" muscle while eating at a deficit, what they mean is volume/hypertrophy. But you can gain muscle while simultaneously burning intramuscular fat. It's called body recomposition and it takes a long time.

OP, you're not going to get bulkier no matter how much you lift if you're eating at a deficit. You can gain muscle, but it will take up less space.

ETA: the higher weight added about 3 pounds of lean mass of that 9 pound total. I decided to bulk when I hit a wall on strength gains. Even then, I added no size.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Very important in this process is taking photos and body measurements. They will tell the true tale of fat loss. They will show that while the scale may not have moved much, you may have lost inches.

Here are some links of my inspirations

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy?hl=twiggy
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you are in an energy deficit you're not going to build and add any weight in muscle with any exercise at all...you have to be anabolic to build muscle, same as fat. You cannot be in a catabolic state and build muscle...just like you can't store fat in a catabolic state. Exceptions would be some newb gains if you're pretty overweight...but that's going to be very minimal.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

A woman with a high body fat percent can do this, as can a man with a high body fat percent. Newbies gain muscle in a deficit all the time. What they don't gain is inches. Gaining inches in muscle (hypertrophy and volumetric gains) require eating at a surplus. Muscle density gains don't equate to hypertrophy.

Because muscle is denser, muscle gains do not translate to inch gains for many. I've added significant lean mass to the tune of about 9 pounds my first year of strength training. I lost a significant amount of body fat and ended up at a higher weight than when I started and a full size smaller.

When most people say you can't "gain" muscle while eating at a deficit, what they mean is volume/hypertrophy. But you can gain muscle while simultaneously burning intramuscular fat. It's called body recomposition and it takes a long time.

OP, you're not going to get bulkier no matter how much you lift if you're eating at a deficit. You can gain muscle, but it will take up less space.

ETA: the higher weight added about 3 pounds of lean mass of that 9 pound total. I decided to bulk when I hit a wall on strength gains. Even then, I added no size.

Unless you added 9lbs of muscle
    in 12 months while eating at a calorie deficit, your post serves no purpose other than to confuse. Newbie gains in a deficit are strength based, they are not additions of new muscle mass.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Very important in this process is taking photos and body measurements. They will tell the true tale of fat loss. They will show that while the scale may not have moved much, you may have lost inches.

Here are some links of my inspirations

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy?hl=twiggy

*blinkblinkblink* Sweet baby jeebus on a pogo stick that last link is freeken amazing! I know it says heavy lifting but is there any way to even get a quarter of that from body weight resistance stuff??
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Unless you added 9lbs of muscle
    in 12 months while eating at a calorie deficit, your post serves no purpose other than to confuse. Newbie gains in a deficit are strength based, they are not additions of new muscle mass.

I'm with you. For all practical purposes, people in a deficit (even newbies) will not any significant muscle mass.