Can I eat healthy during a trip to Germany??

Options
ebayaddict0127
ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
I've often heard Europeans eat healthier in general because they use fresher foods and so on, but I also notice a lot of the restaurants in Munich (where I'm staying) are American.. so does that mean Germans eat crap too? I know Germany is also known for meats and beer, both of which aren't the healthiest. I have no clue what to eat when I'm there. I don't want to just go berserk because I'm on vacation. I want to try to keep myself in control.

Replies

• spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    No different to the states apart from portion size, but if man vs food is anything to go by you will be hungry.

The beer is good.
  • jimboburgess
    Options
    Keep track of how much you are walking around. It's likely you'll offset what ever additional cal you consume in beer and sausage by climbing that mountain to the restaurant etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You can eat "healthy" anywhere. Also, there is nothing "unhealthy" about meats...for that matter, there is nothing unhealthy about beer in moderation either.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Maybe try non-American restaurants? :smile:
    Just do as you would here: choose wisely, log (unless you're taking a break from logging) and exercise (the walking will do fine).
    You'll be fine.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Food is food. Nothing wrong with beer and meat. Just watch your portions. I don't think Germany is better/worse than any other country for foods. If you've been logging food here, you would have a good idea of portions and calories.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I've often heard Europeans eat healthier in general because they use fresher foods and so on, but I also notice a lot of the restaurants in Munich (where I'm staying) are American.. so does that mean Germans eat crap too? I know Germany is also known for meats and beer, both of which aren't the healthiest. I have no clue what to eat when I'm there. I don't want to just go berserk because I'm on vacation. I want to try to keep myself in control.

Meats and beer aren't healthy?

I'm screwed!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Go to Germany, try different foods and enjoy yourself while eating and drinking in moderation.

Don't let worrying about food spoil your trip
  • ebayaddict0127
    Options
    I guess I meant to say sausages.. lots of sausages and meats of that nature. And yes, we will be walking a lot. We have three tours planned and four days of exploring to do.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I probably consumed 5000 Calories of beer alone each day in Munich. I think you should just enjoy....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I guess I meant to say sausages.. lots of sausages and meats of that nature. And yes, we will be walking a lot. We have three tours planned and four days of exploring to do.

You will be fine...just enjoy your trip and stop worrying about the food. Have some local fare and enjoy. I eat sausage pretty regularly...I"m fine and perfectly healthy and fit. They do also eat more than just Bratwurst. Make sure you try some sauerbraten...my favorite.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Germany is a modern western country and just like every other modern western country, including America, there are multi nation types of restaurants to be found! Italian, American, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, French etc and even German! I am pretty sure you will find plenty of good food to eat unless you are in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere! Meat and veg is not an unhealthy food either.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    We visited in 2007 and found the food great. Enjoy the local fare and sample lot's of different things. Just don't overindulge. We did find that having different wursts for breakfast on grainy breads a bit different than egg white omelets and coffee. And go to EVERY LITTLE VILLAGE and eat what the locals eat. That's the fun part of visiting other countries.

Most importantly, remember, there are no bad beers in Germany! Enjoy and have fun.
  • laundra1
    Options
    I've lived in Deutschland for 10 years. No, the beer is far heavier than most so disregard whomever wrote that. If you must drink, Germany has some wonderful red/white wines (Riesling in German).

Germans have very good portion sizes. I have found that sticking with small portion sizes you can make out well.

Flamakuchin (Spelling is off) is good. It is their really thin pizza. Munchen salads are big too. Stay away from the schniztel, pommes, and donner (Turkish gyros). They are very heavy.

If you want to try a donner, go to a turkish restaurant and order a donner teller. Its a plate of sliced meat and vegitables. No pommes and its a good meal.

Munich is an awesome city. I have found that to explore most European cities it is best to wake up early and scout places out. For instance, I have explored multiple cities by getting up at 5 am and going for a run. Slow and steady but you get to see things without crowds and traffic. Plus if you see something you can go later when its open.

The downtown core is awesome to walk in. The gothic town hall looks 500 years old but really is only 100. Take the train up to Olympic park and explore that area. Very friendly and open. BMW World (WELT) is up there with museum, interactive stations and if you plan it right, a tour of the factory (which was better than all domestic car manufacturers.) Its worth the time if you like fine automobiles.

For the most part, Germans smoke, drink and eat heavy foods. But they are always walking or biking.

Moderation and exploration are keys to Bavarian life.

Hope this helps.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Germany has tons of healthy options! I can't stand most of the sausages so I steer clear of them, but it's not hard to find good food. Places like Nordsee have great lunch grab-and-go options, or something like Backfactory for sandwiches. The food can be quite carb-focused if you're concerned about that then beware. In most traditional German restaurants you can basically create your own meal by ordering single types of food, eg potatoes then eggs then sauces then meat. Most people speak English so you can always ask what something is if you aren't sure.

Definitely try Apfelwein, Grünersoße (if you'll be in Hessen, the area around Frankfurt), Currywurst, Flammkuchen and Döner. Plus the millions of types of sweets and cakes. Also the Weizen beers are amazing if you like beer.

Have fun!
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Donner's are GREAT. Had them in Nuremburg. Ah, it's a vacation. Try new things, just watch portions.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    It's "healthily", BTW. :flowerforyou:
  • ebayaddict0127
    Options
    It's "healthily", BTW. :flowerforyou:

Thank you grammar police.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself! I actually lost weight while on vacation...tried all kinds of new foods and alcohol (schnapps and wines) and desserts. We did a lot of walking - climbing those mountains/hills to tourist destinations will burn a lot of calories! :bigsmile: