at goal weight but unhappy with body fat

Options

Replies

• iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You are right that you can't spot reduce. Cut your carbs, increase your daily protein to at least 1 gram per pound of body weight. You don't have to lift heavy unless you want o bulk up.

Not this again.... Op, as a female, you won't bulk up. Ignore that comment. And you also don't have to cut carbs. As long as you are hitting your fat and protein macros and staying with in your calorie limit, you can have as many carbs as you want.

I'd have to say make sure they are quality carbs and not just junk food to get them in though. Not sure how you can say females won't bulk up. What about women body builders who are quite bulky yet very lean? I would suggest (only because diary is not open) if you have a higher carb allowance than protein, try reducing it and making up the calorie difference with protein and fat and see what happens. For me, since going paleo I find that if my carbs (from fruit and veggies only) are over 100g I retain water and gain outright weight. I'm also more clear headed and more satiated when my main component is protein especially at breakfast. However, that said, I'm currently very limited in mobility so I am not exercising and normal functioning is a chore (I'm also 6'1" and 186lbs right now too)

If what your doing is not giving you the results, try something else and see what happens. Everyone is different and we can only give suggestions on what MIGHT work, but until YOU TRY IT, nobody knows for sure. Everyone has their own macro sweet spot and you need to keep tweaking yours to see what works.

Good luck and congratulations on your weight loss.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    A month and a half is really not that long lifting heavy. I would suggest continuing the way you are lifting wise, although I would probably suggest switching to Stonglifts 5x5 instead of doing the split you a doing now. What you want to do is focus on compound lifts and Stronglifts is all compound lifts and will work the whole body which it what you want as a beginner. It will likely give you more success than what you are doing now.

I would also say change up your macro ratios. Increase the protein and fat and decrease the carbs. You need the protein and fat more than the carbs when lifting heavy. The give it a couple of months.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    This idea that you can't spot reduce isn't my experience. If you want to get rid of flabby spots, do weight lifting that targets those areas, and the more you tone and/or build muscle in those areas, the less flab. Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You are right that you can't spot reduce. Cut your carbs, increase your daily protein to at least 1 gram per pound of body weight. You don't have to lift heavy unless you want o bulk up.

Not this again.... Op, as a female, you won't bulk up. Ignore that comment. And you also don't have to cut carbs. As long as you are hitting your fat and protein macros and staying with in your calorie limit, you can have as many carbs as you want.

I'd have to say make sure they are quality carbs and not just junk food to get them in though. Not sure how you can say females won't bulk up. What about women body builders who are quite bulky yet very lean? I would suggest (only because diary is not open) if you have a higher carb allowance than protein, try reducing it and making up the calorie difference with protein and fat and see what happens. For me, since going paleo I find that if my carbs (from fruit and veggies only) are over 100g I retain water and gain outright weight. I'm also more clear headed and more satiated when my main component is protein especially at breakfast.

just to clarify..you did not gain "fat" you just retained water and appear to have gained weight….carbs do not make yo again or lose weight..over eating and under eating is what makes you gain and lose.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    This idea that you can't spot reduce isn't my experience. If you want to get rid of flabby spots, do weight lifting that targets those areas, and the more you tone and/or build muscle in those areas, the less flab. Good luck!

sorry, not possible..

you just dropped body fat and it came off from said areas….if that was the case I could do a 1000 crunches and have a six pack and eat over maintenance..which is not going to happen ….
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've been overwhelmed by conflicting advice so I thought I'd see what you say here. I'm 5'4, 115 lbs. My goal weight was 116. My heaviest weight was close to 160, maybe 157 or 158. I lost the weight over about a year and a half, through periods of strict restriction and calorie counting, and periods of not-so-strict, no calorie counting, just trying to eat healthier. And cardio with a little strength training, but not enough. I hit my goal about a month and a half ago, and slowly upped my calories over a few weeks to my maintenance of 1,760. I also added in more strength training since then. Right now I do strength 3x a week. I alternate between 2 upper body days/1 lower body day one week, and then next week I'll do 2 lower body/1 upper body. I make sure I lift heavy enough that 10 reps is very difficult. No 3 pound dumbbell stuff for me. I also do moderate to high intensity cardio 5x a week.

OK, so now that you have my story, my problem is that I'm still unhappy with my flabbiness. Of course it's nothing terrible, just some stubborn fat on my inner thighs, underarms, a little on the belly, calves, armpits. I want to have a super lean, fit body, not "skinny fat," like I am now. I know you can't spot reduce fat. Should I cut the calories down again to lose this fat, maybe to 1,500 a day? And continue/increase my strength training to maintain my muscle? Or keep eating at maintenance? I feel like eating at maintenance won't allow me to lose any more fat. Should I tweak my macros to include more protein? MFP has them at 50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein. Up to this point I haven't worked very hard at hitting them, I usually eat too much fat, not enough protein.

Thanks for reading!

Increase protein intake. Continue strength training. It takes time but you'll get there.

ETA: Try less weight and more reps. That is what my trainer told me to do.
  • tegalicious
    Options

I'd have to say make sure they are quality carbs and not just junk food to get them in though. Not sure how you can say females won't bulk up. What about women body builders who are quite bulky yet very lean? I would suggest (only because diary is not open) if you have a higher carb allowance than protein, try reducing it and making up the calorie difference with protein and fat and see what happens. For me, since going paleo I find that if my carbs (from fruit and veggies only) are over 100g I retain water and gain outright weight. I'm also more clear headed and more satiated when my main component is protein especially at breakfast. However, that said, I'm currently very limited in mobility so I am not exercising and normal functioning is a chore (I'm also 6'1" and 186lbs right now too)

If what your doing is not giving you the results, try something else and see what happens. Everyone is different and we can only give suggestions on what MIGHT work, but until YOU TRY IT, nobody knows for sure. Everyone has their own macro sweet spot and you need to keep tweaking yours to see what works.

Good luck and congratulations on your weight loss.

Female bodybuilders follow very specific training and eating regimens and work extremely hard to get to the physique they have. Simply eating a balanced diet and lifting heavy with a progressive program like nrol4w isn't going to turn op into a bodybuilder. Also! If she is eating at a deficit or at maintenance she certainly isn't going to gain muscle mass and "bulk" up because she wouldn't be eating enough to build muscle mass. And good carbs, bad carbs, blah blah blah... As long as she is meeting her protein goal of at least .8 grams of protein per pound of lean mass minimum and is hitting her fat macro of at least .35 grams per pound of body weight minimum, she can eat whatever kind of carbs she wants to within her calorie goal. IIFYM.com is a great site to check out op.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Increase protein intake. Continue strength training. It takes time but you'll get there.

ETA: Try less weight and more reps. That is what my trainer told me to do.
    [/quote]

First line: Yes. Check this out. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    Second line: I'd run and get a new trainer. Try Stronglifts 5x5, NROLFW or Starting Strength. You need a progressive program, not a "toning" one, whatever that means...
  • allicat1215
    allicat1215 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying. I'm definitely not afraid of getting bulky. I know I need to lift heavy. I'm not too wrapped up in the number on the scale either. Now that I've hit my "goal," I am focusing more on the mirror. I'm going to continue eating at maintenance, and increase my strength training from 3 split days (15-20 minutes each) to 3 full body days (30-40 minutes each). I've also changed my macros to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein, so I'm getting more protein. Should I drop a cardio day too? Right now I'm doing 30-45 minutes of moderate to high intensity cardio 5x a week (Zumba, step aerobics, step mill, spinning). I eat back the calories I burn.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting and lifting and lifting. I would be nice if dramatic changes happened over the course of a couple months, but they just don't. Re-comp takes a long time...months/years, not a handful of weeks. Just keep getting after it in the weight room and give it time...you'll be fine. I've made some pretty good progress over the last 9 months or see being at maintenance and lifting full body 3x weekly.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying. I'm definitely not afraid of getting bulky. I know I need to lift heavy. I'm not too wrapped up in the number on the scale either. Now that I've hit my "goal," I am focusing more on the mirror. I'm going to continue eating at maintenance, and increase my strength training from 3 split days (15-20 minutes each) to 3 full body days (30-40 minutes each). I've also changed my macros to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein, so I'm getting more protein. Should I drop a cardio day too? Right now I'm doing 30-45 minutes of moderate to high intensity cardio 5x a week (Zumba, step aerobics, step mill, spinning). I eat back the calories I burn.

If you like doing the cardio you can keep doing it since you eat back your calories and are increasing your lifting time! If you don't like doing the cardio than it isn't necessary to keep doing it.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Exactly. If you want to lean bulk then aim for about 200-300 calories above maintenance calories. You will gain the least fat along with some muscle when lean bulking.

This is what I did when I found myself in the exact same position at 123lb. I am extremely happy with the results, and I gained only a couple of pounds of muscle and the same in fat. I can't believe the difference. I'm going to bulk every winter.

I may add that I ate 115 plus grams protein a day and heavy lifted three times a week. We are talking 130lb barbell squats, 45lb rows, 100lb deadlifts, lunges etc etc, ago from body for life a new rules of lifting for women. I did minimum cardio so muscles could recover properly and my calorie numbers weren't complicated.

Don't cut carbs. They are valuable energy source. Cutting them may give you temporary water and glycogen depletion which creates a nice weight loss illusion, but unless you are in deficit you won't burn fat that way, and I could never hit the fitness and speed I wanted when I low carbed, let alone the muscle gain and general sense of well being. I eat what I want within my calorie goal.

I hope I'm not too bulky for y'all!

OP I say go for the weight room, carbs and at least 100g protein a day.
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you are not happy with it then go in a deficit again, eating enough protein and also doing strength training lifting hard weights regularly to keep as much muscle, then bulk up. If you bulk up, youll get muscle but more fat too. Get the hard stuff out the way first.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    replying as some interesting points made on here:).

there is not an awful lot I can offer as I am in similar postiion as you, have been at maintenance now for a while, im working on overall leaness. I do strength 2x a week aswell, mostly compound lifts such as deadlifts, squats, bench press...that sort of thing. I usually add more to the weight when i can find i can do 10 reps with no prob. That being said I will be honest and say i have not been as accountable to my strength training twice a week as I would like to be, as im in my final year at college im away from home quite a bit (home is where all my equipment is) so I do have to improvise, I do go the gym up here sometimes but I really prefer working out in my own space at home. I do stick to at least 2x when I can do and hoping to up this in the coming months.

Most people have said it all already, you seem to have re-set your macros so that is a good start, cant emphasize the importance of protein enough I've heard it so often but don't be afriad to fuel your body with carbs either. IIFYM (aiming for healthy sources as much as possible), strength training and enough sleep should get you to where you want to be in time. It all takes times, i've made mistakes along the way but my body is certainly much better now that it was a year ago. I find setting monthly challenges helps - I always set monthly goals, whether in the form of what i hope to obtain, new recipes I want to try out - that sort of thing. :) Best of luck with your goals!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you are not happy with it then go in a deficit again, eating enough protein and also doing strength training lifting hard weights regularly to keep as much muscle, then bulk up. If you bulk up, youll get muscle but more fat too. Get the hard stuff out the way first.

This is terrible advice. It is about a millions times easier to lose fat that it is to gain muscle, ESPECIALLY for women.

She just said she just lost all this fat and still doesn't have definition despite being at a very low weight for her height. Why would you keep cutting when there is minimal muscles to be shown to create that "toned" look?

Sounds like you are on the right track OP. You can continue to do zumba if you want as long as you eat enough cals to slowly gain. For a women, it really doesn't have to be much weight gain as you physically can't gain that quickly. 1-2lbs a month at an absolute max is what I'd aim for. As long as your strength is increasing though, that's the main thing.

I'd google ice cream fitness 5x5. It's based off stronglifts but includes some higher rep stuff and more accessory work for a good balance. Some heavy, some lighter works very well IMO.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - you might have better luck with a four day upper/lower spilt….Monday - upper; Tuesday - lower - wednesday - cardio; thursday - upper; friday - lower; saturda/sunday rest/active rest/etc
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    just to clarify..you did not gain "fat" you just retained water and appear to have gained weight….carbs do not make yo again or lose weight..over eating and under eating is what makes you gain and lose.

ok I can follow that logic but wouldn't you then proceed to lose that water weight at some point? I don't if I maintain a higher carb level. I have been using MFP so I know I'm not over or under eating as I'm supposed to be in weight loss mode not maintenance.

My point was just to look at macro settings and see if changing them up a bit would help vs what the OP is doing now. Everyone is different. I only posted my experience and I didn't say I gained fat, I said I gained weight. What it consists of I don't know but being in a deficit i should be steadily losing weight but I don't if my carb levels are higher (just my recent experience). Again, I'm not exercising either due to health right now so that may be a part of it in requiring a lower carb level. Some people are more sensitive to different foods and they react differently. If you have more insight on this I'm happy to read it (pm unless you think it would benefit all).

Ultimately, as I said before, only the OP can make the final decision. Try one, try all, just do SOMETHING different if you're not happy with what results you are getting by doing what you're doing.

ETA: Not sure why everyone goes ballistic when cutting carbs is mentioned. My reference was not for going super low carb (atkins or keto style) but to adjust from where she is now (which nobody knows because her diary is not shared). Everyone has a sweet spot for carbs at different times for different things. Yes she's super active and needs more energy but all sources of energy are not created equal.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

ok I can follow that logic but wouldn't you then proceed to lose that water weight at some point? I don't if I maintain a higher carb level. I have been using MFP so I know I'm not over or under eating as I'm supposed to be in weight loss mode not maintenance.

My point was just to look at macro settings and see if changing them up a bit would help vs what the OP is doing now. Everyone is different. I only posted my experience and I didn't say I gained fat, I said I gained weight. What it consists of I don't know but being in a deficit i should be steadily losing weight but I don't if my carb levels are higher (just my recent experience). Again, I'm not exercising either due to health right now so that may be a part of it in requiring a lower carb level. Some people are more sensitive to different foods and they react differently. If you have more insight on this I'm happy to read it (pm unless you think it would benefit all).

Ultimately, as I said before, only the OP can make the final decision. Try one, try all, just do SOMETHING different if you're not happy with what results you are getting by doing what you're doing.

ETA: Not sure why everyone goes ballistic when cutting carbs is mentioned. My reference was not for going super low carb (atkins or keto style) but to adjust from where she is now (which nobody knows because her diary is not shared). Everyone has a sweet spot for carbs at different times for different things. Yes she's super active and needs more energy but all sources of energy are not created equal.

For sports like running, carbs are supreme. Fast release, slow release, they are all valuable. I load the slow and mediums before workouts, and fast ones during and after if I need. The rest of the time, whatever I have left to make up my macros.

It's great to have your muscles pumped full of glycogen and water, if you're low in body fat it's fine! I'm pumped most of the time. I used to do low carb to get that quick depletion fix, but at the end of the day it's unsustainable, and a hindrance to great athletic gains.
  • allysteven880
    Options
    congrats for losing weight. I think you may control it because so that it could not attack again. if you pay the concentration towards your goal, definitely you will gain.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    To those of you who object to my advice to cut carbs: let me clarify that I did not mean cut all carbs! However, 20% protein in a 1760 calorie diet is only about 88 grams. To build muscle and burn any remaining fat, she probably needs to up her protein to at least 26% or 115 grams. To do so without increasing total calories, she can reduce the carbs by a corresponding percentage. Of course, she could reduce fats instead, or a little of each. I did not suggest reducing fats because they help keep you from getting hungry. This approach works really well for me, and IMO could be worth a try since she is not totally happy with her current results.

In my case, I certainly cannot eat "as many carbs as I want" in spite of the fact that I work out hard most days of the week! My carbs come almost exclusively from veggies and fruits with small amounts of whole grains, and make up between 25 and 30% of my diet when I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle. A little more when I'm just trying to maintain. I'd love to be able to eat more bread...