Binge free/paleo diet to lose massive weight!

Options
Hey I started the paleo diet a week ago.. it has a lot of harsh restrictions. I was wondering if anybody has a paleo alternative to flour tortilla burrito wraps & also hummus. & anyone who's doing this diet, message & add me. I would like a paleo buddy!

I'm not quite sure about juices either
HELPPP! Are store bought juices good or too processed?!?!?!

Replies

• Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm not paleo, but I do look up a lot of recipes on Pinterest, and they have a ton of paleo recipes... you just have to search for them.

I'm also trying not to eat wheat, and found some cauliflower tortillas. You can find them here... http://slimpalate.com/cauliflower-tortillas-paleo-grain-free-gluten-free/
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing paleo but couldn't you just switch out the flour tortilla to a corn tortilla? Make it a taco instead of a wrap? I use steamed white corn tortillas, 50 calories each. It is like three corn tortillas to one flour tortilla on calories and much better for you.
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    No corn on this diet... lol I give up. Imma just eat clean instead :)
  • TinTinTin111
    TinTinTin111 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There's lots of recipes on Google, here's one that you may like. :smile:

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/08/23/simple-paleo-tortillas/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat paleo to lose weight, nor do you have to eat "clean"...just eat a well balanced diet that is rich in nutrition and hit your calorie goals...you will lose weight.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Paleo tortillas/bread are normally kinda junk. If you feel better doing paleo, then stick with it. You can always schedule a cheat meal that still fits in your normal calorie and macro goals that includes some of the things you miss.

As for juice, I tend to avoid store bought juices. Most of them have tons of sugar. When you eat the whole fruit you're getting more fiber and nutrition out of it.
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Seems a lot to be taking on all in one go. Might make sense to get used to the lower calories and gradually switch meals rather than going hell for leather and not making it. I've tried fad diets before and have tended to feel like I've failed and give up when I realise how restrictive they are. Paleo may well rule out eating out with friends etc. Are you ready for that?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat paleo to lose weight, nor do you have to eat "clean"...just eat a well balanced diet that is rich in nutrition and hit your calorie goals...you will lose weight.

This. Overly restrictive "diets" end in failure. Eat how you want to eat, just be more mindful of calories and nutrition. This will force you to make better choices over time, but there's no need to eliminate any foods you like.

Unless you're allergic to them, but other than that, no.
  • Stacedg
    Stacedg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been eating mainly a Paleo diet for over a year now. The scale has not moved, however everyone tells me I look like I am losing tons of weight. I am unable to eat corn, potatoes, and wheat....and honestly sugar causes me to break out almost immediately on the face. All of this is an inflammatory response, which effects my joints. If I eat corn or potatoes, I will hardly be able to walk the next day as my knees and ankles swell. So....paleo is not a choice, it is a must for me.

With that being said, I try to stay away from anything that isn't just one ingredient...two or three at most. I am going to try making the cauliflower tortillas today.

If you don't have to be on such a restrictive diet, then try doing the 85/15 paleo. Basically, you are mostly paleo (which is eating lean meats and veggies, grass-fed beef, good fats, etc) but occasionally will have a paleo 'treat', or a glass of wine, etc.

Good luck!
  • newskt
    Options
    Go check out Nom Nom Paleo blog--great site for recipes and inspirations. I'm using the Pale diet not only to help with weight loss but because of the health benefits. I tried it this past summer for 30 days and within the first week felt so much better--no pain in my joints. It sounds really hard when you first start, but it's really easy--eat meat and veggies, add some fruit and some healthy fat. Get rid of sugar and processed carbs.

There are even recipe sites -- go to Food Gawker, try Pinterest and Tastespotting. You'll find lots of inspiration.

Good luck!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You can try eating mostly paleo, but if you want the tortilla eat it. One tortilla is not going to cause you any grief. I eat mosly clean, but I'm not a fanatic about it. If I go somewhere and they have processeed food only, I eat it. But if I'm making dinner, it's clean. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I appreciate it!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My friend Tracy makes Paleo Tortillas: http://www.facebook.com/paleotillas
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I agree with many posters here. I eat a Paleo-esque diet--they call it more Primal. Some dairy and I also eat legumes. So basically I just cut the grains. I actually love it. But I only eat this way 90% of the time. Sometimes I'll do substitutions, like the cauliflower tortillas sound interesting, but usually I just skip it.

Too much corn and wheat will upset my stomach, but a few tacos now and again won't. Or the upset is minimal and worth it if I really want a street taco.

I love the diet because it's very satisfying, filling, I feel better and have less cravings. I eat very simply and very healthy now. I lost about 10 lbs on it, but more importantly, I used to always feel like I was starving. So yeah, less hungry, less gas, more energy, a little weight loss... That's a "win" in my book.

I've been eating this way for nine months with no intent to quit.
  • ScrapStitching
    ScrapStitching Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been eating paleo since May 2013, when I did a Whole30 at my doctor's urging. I'm 58 :) I am off blood pressure medication now. I was on 3 medications for diabetes; I am on 1 now. I sleep better and my mood is better and more level. I blog almost daily to keep myself on track and remind myself of what I've cooked in the past.

It's not for everyone, but it works for me. I stick very close to Whole30 eating, but I do have occasional cheese (organic cottage cheese, shredded goat cheese) and I use organic ketchup and relish. I take a day off once in a while, but that hampers weight loss for me.

I do not believe this is a fad. More and more stores are stocked up with natural, whole foods and less junk. My initial outlay on really good food is a bit more, but the money I spent on junk and unhealthy foods is no longer an issue. It's a balance.
  • ScrapStitching
    Options

This. Overly restrictive "diets" end in failure. Eat how you want to eat, just be more mindful of calories and nutrition. This will force you to make better choices over time, but there's no need to eliminate any foods you like.

Unless you're allergic to them, but other than that, no.

I would tend to agree with you for most people, but not all. My life-long insulin resistance issues have been stopped. Dare I say reversed? I'm also trying foods I've never tried before and finding that there is a lot more out there besides meat and potatoes and corn. Paleo is the best thing that's ever happened to my health. With the elimination 30 days in May, I did learn that there are "allergies" involved for me, but not what one would think of. My seasonal allergies are gone. That doesn't happen to everyone, but something (grains? legumes? sugar? dairy?) was an issue. I haven't taken Claritin all year and that's a drug that's been a part of my life for years.

I'm not in this for any caveman reasons; it's all about how my body works with or without certain foods.
  • ScrapStitching
    Options
    Stroll around the paleo web sites. Check out Pinterest. Your library probably has paleo cookbooks.

You can be as restrictive as you want or you can modify it to fit your life better.

(This was in reply to the original poster - I forgot to use the quote function. Sorry.)
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    Thanks so much.. I'm doing it for health reasons too
    Since I cut out junk food, my stomach aches went away
    So I'm gonna continue with it ^.^