Our Second chance at life...my story

Options
Good morning. My name is Sandi and I am a 45 yo married mom of 3. I joined MFP exactly one week ago today. Id like to tell you what led to this. Here is my story.

The Old Sandi
Old Sandi eats whatever she wants with no regard whatsoever for her health. Old Sandi is a busy Mom of 3 always on the go and uses that for her excuse/reason for her poor diet choices. Old Sandi is 5'9 and weighs 201 lbs, the most shes ever weighed aside from when she was pregnant. Sometimes people still think she is pregnant,,,,and ask when she is due? This infuriates Sandi. But old Sandi carries most of her weight around her midsection, hips and rear end. Old Sandi gets up in the morning and drinks a bunch of coffee, skips breakfast, most days. She goes through the day drinking nothing but coffee (double double with cream) and smoking cigarrettes and consumes absolutely not a stitch of water. Old Sandi will usually be running the roads on errands so she will opt for a fast food lunch and has absolutely no shame of sitting in the parking lot of Wendy's scarfing back chili cheese fries. Old Sandi makes sure her kids eat optimally and get their vitamins and nutrition but she herself cares nothing about her own body or wellness and thinks she will live forever. She wonders why she feels like **** most days and has developed medical issues earlier in life than she anticipated, things like osteoarthritis all over her body. Old Sandi continues to take her life for granted. Soon she will find out this was a big mistake.

Enter Sandi's Husband. He is also an overweight smoker, 42 years old, 5'9 and 297. He makes the same ignorant lifestyle choices as Old Sandi and has absolutely no concern that he could lose his life one day too early. His younger brother died at the age of 42 from prostate cancer. He is a busy manager of an office, a high stress job, and also suffers from severe sleep apnea in which he stops breathing up to 37 times per night. He takes meds for high blood pressure. He also, like Old Sandi, eats whatever the hell he feels like putting in his mouth with no regard for the consequences.

One month ago today, on January 14th, my husband had a stroke. 42 years old and he had a stroke. He presented with a slight blind spot in his right eye and I made him go to the family doc who then suggested a trip to the ER. They performed a CAT scan and discovered he had suffered a brain hemmorage. Old Sandi was absolutely devastated and thought she could die right then and there when the doctors told her that her husband had either suffered a stroke or had a brain tumor. The next day we were seen by a neurosurgeon and the next 2 weeks were followed by an seemingly endless amount of poking and prodding and testing. Cats, angios, blood, MRI, etc. Yesterday we were told all the tests came back normal and that the reason for his brain hemmorage was "unknown" but most caused by his terrible lifestyle, smoking, untreated sleep apnea and high blood pressure. We waited 3 weeks for these results, not knowing if they were going to tell us he had a brain tumor and ultimately would be taken from our children at 42, like his brother. Thank God above this did not happen, that was ruled out and he has been told it was a hemmoragic stroke. The only thing that was affected was his vision, and that was mild, and has now returned fully to normal again. We would not have even known that he had a stroke if this vision problem had not surfaced.

Waiting to find out if your husband is going to die changes a person. It changes them in a BIG way. It opens their eyes, puts things into perspective and gives you a swift kick in the butt of reality in a HURRY. Old Sandi suddenly found herself begging the higher powers for a second chance, a chance to change her life, her husbands too, to start over and stop taking life for granted....promising that if they were given this one last chance they would both be forever grateful and would make the necessary changes in life to prove them worthy of the chance. Our prayers were answered and we were given that chance!!

New Sandi

New Sandi had a rude awakening and is feeling like a new woman! New Sandi (over the month of waiting for a diagnosis) realized she had to change her life and so started on a new journey. She started implementing many different ideas to help her do this. I will refer to myself as I now lol.....I (with my husband by my side fully on board with me) decided it was time to quit smoking (we are committed and working on that), get him a cpap machine for his sleep apnea (which we have and its working wonderfully) and most of all, change our terrible eating and excercise (or lack thereof) style. A whole new lifestyle change was in order, not just a "diet"....we had to change EVERYTHING, including our attitudes, and embrace our chance at new life together. I started researching and spent a month educating myself about food and nutrition and learned SO much!!! During the month we also discovered this wonderful website...and have since implemented the plan into our lives (we use the app)....we have both started brisk walking 30 mins on the treadmill every night...(its a start) We began eating healthy as soon as we were told he may be dying...but REALLY got into it when we discovered this website and started using the app 1 week ago today. I am permitted 1510 calories per day and follow it religiously and honestly. I have lost 3 lbs. I am proud of myself!

New Sandi wakes up and eats a nutritious breakfast with her kids, healthy snacks, a great lunch and dinner. Meals full of whole grains and low fat and LOTS of vegetables and "super foods" (which she learned was NOT a big mac :o)....New Sandi actually works up a sweat on the treadmill and her kids look at her with admiration in their eyes as she does it....New Sandi continues to research nutrition and now seeks the advise of a nutritionist at the local grocery store. New Sandi thinks Old Sandi was SO stupid. New Sandi loves herself now. And loves her husband and kids...and will NOT take this second chance for granted.

I wonder what the hell Old Sandi was thinking? Im shocked im not worse off or even dead after the way I abused my health. Sigh. That is behind me now, and I am looking ahead to a healthy happy future as an educated person who will never allow herself to become that old person again. I appreciate my life. Finally.

Replies

• brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Welcome New Sandi! You will find many many helpful people and a ton of support on this site. Your story brought tears to my eyes. . You are taking the first step to a brand new you and husband. I am happy to hear that you BOTH have decided to get on the healthy track for you and your kids.
  • beebeewho
    beebeewho Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Welcome new Sandi! Your story is so touching, and I'm so glad you have decided to turn your life around! With these healthier eating habits and the treadmill + quitting smoking, you will just get more and more energy and feel so much better, which will help you make healthier choices more and more! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us, and keep going strong girl! Your kids do look up to you, and they want their parents around for as long as possible ( honestly I somehow believe in my heart my mom will live forever because I haven't a clue what I'd do without her).
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you had to go through all that pain and anxiety, but I'm glad that you learned from it. As a nurse, I see a lot of patients who come in with stroke, heart disease, complications from diabetes, COPD, etc, who continue to smoke, eat at McDonalds, weigh 350 - 400+ pounds (I live in what I think is probably the most unhealthy town in the most unhealthy state in the US), oh, and don't forget the "recreational" drugs!!

Your story is very inspiring! Congrats to you and your hubby!

wSUsDDy.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Where I work (Wellness Center) this is not an uncommon story. A good majority of our senior members in our rehabilitation program are rehabbing from stroke and heart attack due to bad lifestyle. Once they are able to they go to, they go to clinical intergration then to personal training to continue the process so we can help them get to a reasonable weight and health level.
    Sometimes it takes an event like this to get people to do something about their health. Hopefully the effects of the stroke are temporary and he can resume most activity that he could previously do.
    My advice to you is to learn and examine correct information on this site. You'll no doubtedly sooner or later run into programs that sound great in theory, is anecdotally backed by testimonial, but fails in results when clinically tested. An example is "juicing" to "detox" the body.
    Good luck on your program. Stay consistent and determined.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    That's a lot to deal with. I'm wishing you both nothing but success and well-being.
  • slimmalikah
    slimmalikah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great story!!! Good luck to you guys on your journey of good health.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Good luck :) I have 3 kids too and work and completely understand about caring for the kids and then ignoring your own health.Sorry your family had to go through such a terrible adventure and congratulations for trying to do the best.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Friend request sent :smile:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I live in what I think is probably the most unhealthy town in the most unhealthy state in the US

Springfield? :drinker:

J/K....

To the OP... please keep posting your progress.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Welcome -- I'm proud of you for making these changes.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You two are AWESOME!! My DH and I had a bit of a scare also, which was the final straw and changed our lives for the good. Over a year later and we're both at goal weight and more fit than we've ever been in our lives. You can do this and it's so worth it!! Good luck on your new journey of health and fitness!
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Welcome new Sandi :) I wish you and your husband good luck on your new lifestyle changes :drinker:
  • seaberry09
    seaberry09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You and your husband are inspiring! I wish you well on your journey :)