Cheat Day/Metabolism Question

Options
So...my goal is to lose a total of 60 pounds. I am down 15 pounds so far and eating 1200-1300 calories per day. My diary is open btw. I drink about 90 oz of water every day without fail so I do not bother to log that, nor do I add my exercise which isn't much anyway. My weight loss has slowed a lot over the last few weeks. I have read a few people mentioning in other threads that they eat over their goal every once in a while to confuse their body or shake up their metabolism or something like that. Is that something I should do? Or should I just continue at 12-13k calories? If I need to "cheat" how do I go about it? How many extra calories?

Replies

• ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If your weight loss has slowed down, its something you might wanna consider. You do it by eating over maintenance, around 25%-50% over maintenace and keeping fat intake low, so normal protein and high carb, low fat foods. Mainly carbs like pasta, rice, low fat ice cream, bread, cereals etc.

I know it works for me, its wierd cause the day after im down 1-2 pounds.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    Thank you! How do I know what my maintenance or 20%-50% over my maintenance is?
  • ab_1203
    Options
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

This site will calculate your maintenance.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I always allow for 1 free day of eating per week (usually Saturday). It is good for you psychologically because you aren't depriving yourself of the foods you want to have. For instance, yesterday my wife and I went out to eat, and at the end of the day, I was about 1000 calories over my limit. I just take it in stride and know that tomorrow I'll get back to eating healthy. I feel if people don't do this, they will eventually go on a binge.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    Would it be okay to do less often than weekly? Like maybe once a month?
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    If your weight loss has slowed down, its something you might wanna consider. You do it by eating over maintenance, around 25%-50% over maintenace and keeping fat intake low, so normal protein and high carb, low fat foods. Mainly carbs like pasta, rice, low fat ice cream, bread, cereals etc.

I know it works for me, its wierd cause the day after im down 1-2 pounds.

Hi I've done this a few times and I find that though it's true you're down a lb after the calorie overload the day after, usually there's a
    1 -2 lb gain a few days after. I think it takes the body maybe 2 days to actually use up the calories and then store the excess. Thus to combat this, after a calorie overload, I go lower the next day, then it really jolts my system and I lose instead gaining the next few days.
  • Suzibluski
    Suzibluski Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do one cheat meal a week... usually go over my calories by 500ish and the next day I am always down a half a pound or so.. I think it is good for mind and body.. but you have to be careful that you don't do it often
  • ab_1203
    Options
    Hmm for me I usually do not go up 2 pounds but I think its a good idea to go lower the next day if it works for you, that would really confuse your body :)
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    So cookies today, salad tomorrow :)
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    Guess what y'all?!? It worked!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three days ago I ate a ton, two days ago just a little bit, and then ate my goal calories yesterday. I'm down 1 pound 4 oz over the last four days. Yay!!