Low Calorie Baked Goods?

Options
So, I love baked desserts and pastries and essentially things made with a lot of fat but now that MFP has shown me how ridiculously full of calories all those things are, I must say I've been a little sad-face... minus when I have my donut benders... and then extra sad-face right after those donut benders are over. The point is, I want my baked goods and I don't want the pounds, anyone know of any good recipes? Bonus points if its under 150 cal for a decent sized serving!

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So, I love baked desserts and pastries and essentially things made with a lot of fat but now that MFP has shown me how ridiculously full of calories all those things are, I must say I've been a little sad-face... minus when I have my donut benders... and then extra sad-face right after those donut benders are over. The point is, I want my baked goods and I don't want the pounds, anyone know of any good recipes? Bonus points if its under 150 cal for a decent sized serving!

I still have my baked goods using: butter, coconut oil or olive oil to bake with and I am losing weight. I havee them in moderation.

One of the changes I have made is baking powder. I now use sodium free baking powder by Hain, its more expensive, but to me its worth the price - $5+ for a tin.
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat a home baked dessert at least 4 times a week. If you love those desserts there is no reason to give them up. Leave room in your diet to have them and enjoy. :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I've actually *started* baking more ever since logging religiously on MFP. Much easier to control portion size for me that way, and I make only what I'm craving , no getting to the fast food restaurant and buying a bunch more stuff. I usually just take a recipe I like and divide it by some ridiculous amount like 8 or 10, then bake that!
  • aliyahdear
    aliyahdear Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I suck at self control... if there's a cake at home, I will eat it... and most likely in one day... but I love the idea of dividing recipes down. Never thought of doing that before and then I have better control of calories and what not.

Has anyone ever tried using avocado instead of butter? I keep hearing people talk about it being a thing, but I have yet to hear from anyone who's tried it... it's like everyone I know that's mentioned it is waiting for someone else to try it first, lol.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Tons of great recipes on this blog
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/
    She's all over Pinterest, too
  • snappyapples
    Options
    I just made oatmeal banana cookies using just oatmeal, banana, and chocolate chips. YUM YUM YUM.

2 bananas
    1 C. old fashioned or instant oats
    handful of chocolate chips

Smush it all together, spoon out cookies onto a greased sheet, bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Makes 16 cookies at about 55 calories/cookie.. and its healthy :)
  • jshipley79
    Options
    I love baked goods as well and especially making them for friends. A lot of my girlfriends are also dieting and cutting out the delicious stuff is hard.
    Try looking around Pinterest for dessert options. You'll discover new foods to enjoy ( don't limit yourself to what you know). Also a favorite recipe site I use is www.skinnytaste.com
    We all have our guilty pleasures, it's what we do a majority of the time that counts. But finding new and inventive ways to enjoy healthy food is always a plus!

Enjoy
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I have been baking and cutting down the sugar. Most recipes Are ok with a third less sugar. I know we have different tastes in UK but you could experiment with that.I don't use sugar subs by the way, all real food.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm rubbish at portion control too..
    Have you thought of making those cakes in mugs?
    Only one serving them.
    Again had over to pinterest for recipes.
  • lwright311
    lwright311 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I bake a lot. I sometimes substitute Stevia for baking which cuts the calories way down. Also if you make cookies you can freeze the dough and just bake a few at a time or give the extras away. Cooking Light . com has some great low recipes. I love thier Molasses Banana Oatmeal bread and Oatmeal Cranberry white chocolate chip cookies. I dont have to worry about eating too much of my baked goods because I have 3 kids that love anything sweet. lol But most baked items freeze well.
  • lwright311
    lwright311 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A good high protein low calorie cookie recipe is:

1cup Peanut Butter
    1 cup stevia for baking (or sugar but more calories)
    1 egg
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    dash of salt

Cream together peanut butter and sugar. Beat in rest of ingredients. Roll into 1 inch balls place on sheet and squish with a fork. Bake at 350* for 10 min or so. Makes 2 dozen. Dough can be kept in fridge for a while and cookies freeze well.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I suck at self control... if there's a cake at home, I will eat it... and most likely in one day... but I love the idea of dividing recipes down. Never thought of doing that before and then I have better control of calories and what not.

Has anyone ever tried using avocado instead of butter? I keep hearing people talk about it being a thing, but I have yet to hear from anyone who's tried it... it's like everyone I know that's mentioned it is waiting for someone else to try it first, lol.

I have not used avocado but I've used applesauce. I make mine at home. Truth be told when the portion is small enough I just rather use the real thing. You can even use the MFP recipe function to calculate calories in advance. When margarine means the difference between 200 calories and 250, it's not that big a deal to me to use the real ingredient
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I just made oatmeal banana cookies using just oatmeal, banana, and chocolate chips. YUM YUM YUM.

2 bananas

Smush it all together, spoon out cookies onto a greased sheet, bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Makes 16 cookies at about 55 calories/cookie.. and its healthy :)

Made these yesterday, but did walnuts instead of choc chips, about 62 calories per. I'm storing them in a little glad ware container and am impressed at how moist they're staying:)
  • aliyahdear
    Options

2 bananas

Omg, that's genius!!! I'm making those tonight, thank you!
  • aliyahdear
    Options
    A good high protein low calorie cookie recipe is:

1cup Peanut Butter
    1 cup stevia for baking (or sugar but more calories)
    1 egg
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    dash of salt

Cream together peanut butter and sugar. Beat in rest of ingredients. Roll into 1 inch balls place on sheet and squish with a fork. Bake at 350* for 10 min or so. Makes 2 dozen. Dough can be kept in fridge for a while and cookies freeze well.

Ohhh, thank you! I will be giving that a try, peanut butter makes me happy, lol.
  • aliyahdear
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Keep em coming, you all are awesome! I will definitely be checking out pinterest as well... I found a recipe on there once and for some reason forgot to go back and look for more, lol.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Having cut all of that out of my diet at the start I have started to reintroduce healthier versions which aren't as good but very good if you haven't for a while. I find its flour which puts the calories too high so have been trying black bean recipes, most recently:

CHOCOLATE-PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
    Yields 16 cookies

Ingredients:

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    2/3 cup peanut butter
    1/3 cup agave nectar (or other sweetener)
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1cup dark (vegan!) chocolate chips

Method:

Preheat oven to 350°.
    Combine black beans, cocoa powder, vanilla, peanut butter, honey and baking powder in the container of a food processor. Process mixture until very smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in dark chocolate chips.
    Roll dough into 2-inch balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Press slightly to flatten. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes.
  • PReiss828
    PReiss828 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try some of these recipes too....thanks everyone...keep 'em coming!!!
  • S1inky
    S1inky Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What a faff - i would just spoon out the peanut butter and keep it low 2tsp a day max mmmm. I am doing dukan so no peanut butter for me. and all that stevia...

mind u how many tsp in a cup?.. maybe ill have to give it a try...:smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has great recipes too. The danger is that even if they are lower calories... you always end up with a big pie or 12 muffins or something :laugh:

Look in this forum for the '144 calories skinny apple pie' or whatever. It was a bit more calories for me but it was really good.