How do you do it??

Options
Ok, so my lifestyle is very busy. Full time job, hubby and 3 month old to take care of so of course, I get whatever is left when it comes to taking care of myself. I need to lose a lot of weight and I want to exercise, but I find it hard to get time to do it. If I were to get up early, I would need to get up at 4:00 in order to have time to get a 30 minute workout in and shower and get ready for work and then my hubby and baby. Is that so crazy? By the time I get off work I am exhausted. So how do I do it? How do I get my tired butt out of bed in the morning that early to do what I need to do? Its so hard, but just about my last option...

Replies

• JulieMorelli
    Options
    I don't think the last person who commented was very kind. If you really want to lose the weight and exercise - you have to make the time and it is that simple. We all have the same 24 hrs. in a day.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period. Work on logging everything you eat & drink accurately and honestly. Find accurate database entries (there's a lot of junk data in there).

Once spring comes, maybe you'll feel ready to walk with your family after dinner. Baby steps!
  • sauron92
    Options
    I don't think the last person who commented was very kind. If you really want to lose the weight and exercise - you have to make the time and it is that simple. We all have the same 24 hrs. in a day.

I don't sugarcoat.the OP is just making excuses for not moving their butts...
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to get the diet in order first. Calorie deficits is what causes weight loss. Exercise can be added later.

Would you be able to use your lunch break to get a 30 min brisk walk or can you do 3 10 min as well. Are there any stairs t your work that you can use, stair climbing is an awesome exercise. Worst case, can you do few "bathroom workouts"? I used to "use" the handicap bathroom for my "workouts" :)
    You could do jumping jacks, jump ropes, BW squats, lunges, wall pushups,jump squats/lunges etc...
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    3 Months old . . . Congratulations on the new addition!

Is it possible to maybe getting in some walking at lunch time maybe! If not maybe just working with your diet for awhile and then once baby is a bit older try the working out in the morning. I think trying to do too much will cause some unnecessary stress which will interfere with your weight loss.

If you need to exercise for some stress relief, maybe doing 15/20 minutes twice a day, morning and evenings this will still benefit you.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Ok, so my lifestyle is very busy. Full time job, hubby and 3 month old to take care of so of course, I get whatever is left when it comes to taking care of myself. I need to lose a lot of weight and I want to exercise, but I find it hard to get time to do it. If I were to get up early, I would need to get up at 4:00 in order to have time to get a 30 minute workout in and shower and get ready for work and then my hubby and baby. Is that so crazy? By the time I get off work I am exhausted. So how do I do it? How do I get my tired butt out of bed in the morning that early to do what I need to do? Its so hard, but just about my last option...

so get up at 4am.

change your alarm ringtone to a motivating song. i'm a fan of "eye of the tiger." place it on a far away night table or dresser so you have to get up to turn it off.

set up the coffee pot the nght before so that all you have to do it hit a button and a nice cup of coffee is ready in two minutes. i drink a cup of coffee while i'm getting ready for the gym.

lay out your clothes and gym bag and everything the night before. i can't sleep in my gym clothes, but i know some people do.

make it really hard for you to miss the work out. all the things you generally do in the morning, do the night before, like pack lunches and prepare breakfast for the kids or whatever. things like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, oatmeal, and hard boiled eggs can be made ahead of time.

the night before you need to avoid staying up late. you'll need at least 6 hours of sleep, so that means you need to be asleep by 10pm. so avoid and late and excessive alcohol, as it'll make sleep restless. don't stay up watching tv. for me, reading in bed is the best way to fall asleep.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between sugar coating and just being plain rude.

I would try smaller bursts of exercise for the first bit. Blocks of 15 minutes that you can squish into your day.
    I would try and get out on your lunch break. Park further from your work and walk an extra couple of blocks or if you are taking the bus walk to a further bus stop. After you get home, pop bubb in the pram and head out for 15 minutes around the block.
    Research things you can do at home, there are plenty of exercise videos on youtube. Or if you have a gaming console like Wii or xBox there are a lot of fitness "games" you can play from aerobics type games to dancing.
    I heard a while ago there were exercise classes designed around you and your baby :D Perhaps look into that for after work as it would be great for bonding time too.
    Talk to your hubby and see if he can cook dinner a few nights a week so you can spend that half hour on doing some exercise :D

Good luck!
  • kpierson1987
    kpierson1987 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    First of all, I posted here for support...as the group is labeled. I am not making excuses, but stating my situation. It is hard for a busy, new mommy to find time to do the things I want and I figured people here may have similar situations, So I really wanna hear from those people and how they handle life and weight loss. Secondly, I DO get up and move my butt thank you very much. I am not good at logging exercise here because I don't have a heart rate monitor to accurately mark the calories burnt and I have been doing Tae Bo. Please, no unkind words and don't comment on my post if you aren't going to be helpful. I wonder if you even have kids...

For those of you who have responded kindly and in a helpful manner, I truly appreciate it. Thanks.
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to get the diet in order first. Calorie deficits is what causes weight loss. Exercise can be added later.

Would you be able to use your lunch break to get a 30 min brisk walk or can you do 3 10 min as well. Are there any stairs t your work that you can use, stair climbing is an awesome exercise. Worst case, can you do few "bathroom workouts"? I used to "use" the handicap bathroom for my "workouts" :)
    You could do jumping jacks, jump ropes, BW squats, lunges, wall pushups,jump squats/lunges etc...

^^ Great ideas. I lost most of my weight through walking at lunch time (and eating at my desk). Just do what you can do with what you have - focus on eating healthy and moving more for now. Congratulations on the new addition, btw!
  • sauron92
    Options
    I apologize sincerely.
    you are absolutely right i was over the top and rude.
    I'm sure you're a wonderful mother.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Sooooo I am wondering why the Hun doesn't get himself up and why he can't watch the little one for awhile in the evenings. That's what dads are suppose to do help care for their children too

I have 4 kids all but one is a teenager and one has special needs. I also work full time and have figured out ways to carve out me time. Its not perfect by any means, but I had to decide that I am worth the effort and time to get healthy.
    BTW the hub needs to help or you need a friend or babysitter
  • kpierson1987
    Options
    I apologize sincerely.
    you are absolutely right i was over the top and rude.
    I'm sure you're a wonderful mother.

Thank you
  • Fit4Yah
    Fit4Yah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You just have to make the time. I understand busy. I have a husband and 5 children ages 6 months to 12 yrs old. It's hard to be motivated but if you are ready to change, then you just do it! I usually get a workout in either very early in the morning before anyone is up or I get it in at bedtime when everyone is in bed. I'm exhausted then but sometimes that's the only time I can make work, so that's what I do.

With that said, when it comes to losing weight, diet is very important. Get your diet right and you'll lose even without exercising. Don't forget to drink lots of water.

ETA: My husband encourages me to be healthy and watches the children when needed. He even suggested me trying out crossfit and I have my first crossfit class tomorrow. I exclusively breastfeed my 6 month old so I don't have that big of a time frame to be gone.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    How do I get my tired butt out of bed in the morning that early to do what I need to do? Its so hard, but just about my last option...
    I like the advice previously given: diet first exercise later. I might add to that that exercise can be added incrementally. If you are not exercising at all, it's going to be very tough mentally to sustain the will to commit to a long workout. Start with 5 minutes of calesthenics - anything that makes you move. Or maybe dancing, if you like to dance. Start small, work your way up is my advice. We all struggle with motivation. It's the hardest part. Good luck.
  • kpierson1987
    Options
    Sooooo I am wondering why the Hun doesn't get himself up and why he can't watch the little one for awhile in the evenings. That's what dads are suppose to do help care for their children too

I have 4 kids all but one is a teenager and one has special needs. I also work full time and have figured out ways to carve out me time. Its not perfect by any means, but I had to decide that I am worth the effort and time to get healthy.
    BTW the hub needs to help or you need a friend or babysitter

:smile: Please don't assume Hubby doesn't help. Sometimes he gets home just after baby has gone to bed. His job works him all hours of the day and evening. He is amazing to me and I don't have any problems doing the things I do for him. I couldn't ask for a better Daddy for my child. In fact, he will be taking him with him to church tonight while I am home sick with a nasty cold.
    And I really don't want my hubby cooking dinner much, lol. I'd be eating fatty fried food every night. I can change my diet, but I leave his alone and we are happy with that.

I guess it just comes down to what I really want. I suppse getting up early will be worth it for a while. Thanks!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period. Work on logging everything you eat & drink accurately and honestly. Find accurate database entries (there's a lot of junk data in there).

Once spring comes, maybe you'll feel ready to walk with your family after dinner. Baby steps!

This - after I had my son I walked EVERYWHERE with him in the stroller - I even went grocery shopping and would add anywhere from 4-6 bags of groceries to the stroller - that was the BEST shape I was ever in - work on your eating and everything else will eventually fall into place - even if you take 20 mins for yourself while hubby gives baby a bath and go for a quick walk.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    While exercise is great for your health and fitness, it's not required for weight loss. You could find a calorie goal that would allow you to loss weight at your current activity level.
    Either you can try to get up early to go to the gym or find another way to fit exercise into your schedule. Is there really no way for you to work out after work? I know you're tired but I find exercising to be pretty energizing once I get it done. And like others have suggested you could try fitting in some light exercise (like walking) in at lunch or during a break or after dinner.
    Congrats on your new addition :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You have an infant that probably requires a lot of attention 24/7. It is not easy, but it will never be easy.
    My one biggest regret is that I did not do this when my daughter was growing up. It is water over the bridge now for me, but you can do this. Find a way. Do what you have to to become healthier. It will benefit both you and your family and you will not regret it.

I have a 40 minute commute one way to work. I get up at 2:00 a.m. to get to work early so I can work out at the gym before I begin my work day. Find the time. Even if it is only a few minutes here or there. They will add up. Eat healthy so you can teach your child healthy habits that will last a life time. You can do this! You and your family are worth it!
  • Lauriej0426
    Options
    Any extra activity will help. Maybe get up 10 minutes earlier and do some jumping jacks and jump rope. Eating a healthy diet at a deficit will increase your energy. In time you will be able to add more. Maybe getting in a couple good workouts on the weekends. The time change and warmer weather coming will help too!!
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options

This...and I would add that eating lots of healthy foods should help with improving your energy level.