Do you lose body fat when

Options
...when you weight train on a calorie deficit?

My ultimate goal is to lose body fat, more than gaining muscle and tone. I have too much body fat, with a low weight. Right now, I'm not looking to look toned etc, just to lose the extra fat all over!

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Please clarify, are you looking to lose weight including fat, or looking to maintain your current weight, but reduce body fat % (therefore increase lean body mass)?

If you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. If you strength train, a higher percentage of that loss will be fat compared to lean. Does that help?
  • rk_19
    rk_19 Posts: 92
    Options
    Thank you!

My priority is to lose fat, decrease body fat % - the weight in numbers doesn't matter to me all that much since I'm in the normal range. the thing is that i have a higher amount of body fat compared to my weight
  • rk_19
    Options
    Bump!
  • rk_19
    Options
    Bumppp
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yes. Calorie deficit, weight train, plenty of protein.
  • FrauStorm
    FrauStorm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    weight train. look for workouts that are specified for fat loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ...when you weight train on a calorie deficit?

My ultimate goal is to lose body fat, more than gaining muscle and tone. I have too much body fat, with a low weight. Right now, I'm not looking to look toned etc, just to lose the extra fat all over!

umm if you lose body fat you will looked toned/more muscular….
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    yes!!!!!!!!! :)
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You can weight train for stamina where you use lower weights with higher speed and quantity of reps ( Most people use weights for anaerobic training - Generally speaking it looks like this 3 reps of 12 with 20-30 sec intervals between sets - at a weight which brings exhaustion at the end of the 3rd rep of 12). You best results would be to do your aerobic exercise first then towards weight ( anaerobic ) training. For the weights section I would still recommending biasing the higher weight levels to get best efficiency from your time and to maximize your metabolism for the next day or so but it is your choice and time to consider.

I suspect you are concerned at looking more like a body builder with weight training? This is very unlikely unless you really intend this ( over simplified this requires a higher calorie diet with large weights, lower reps (max 5 - 7'ish) and longer recover times between sets eg. minutes).

With the lack of detail I can get from your profile I would suggest considering:
    * Make sure your Fat % is accurate first - if these are the bathroom restiveness scales then these are only a guide. A good physician or coaches at the gym ( I am sure if you ask one nice enough they won't charge you for a few minutes of their time ) or even buy your own set of calipers to monitor
    * Maintain the F:C:P ratio - you still want your body to target the fat not muscle so make sure you get the energy and nutrients your muscle needs.
    * You will still need to drive your body towards a calorie deficit either through your exercise or reduction in calories. You will get a kick to the metabolism with more resistance training which will significantly help you.

Most importantly enjoy yourself! You will approach your exercise with energy and better results that way
  • rk_19
    Options
    This was highly informational and helpful, thank you for your time!!!!!!!!!!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If, as another poster suggested, you're worried about "looking like a bodybuilder," don't be. It's ridiculously hard for women to build enough muscle to get that look. You'd need to be eating at a surplus and doing a serious, progressive heavy lifting program to get bulky, and even then it takes a ton of effort over a long time.

Adding weight lifting to your deficit eating and cardio is a fabulous idea. As you continue to lose, it will help you keep the muscle you do have, so you'll look leaner and tighter. Plus, it's really fun!