Running advice: having some trouble

Options
Hi running friends,

I've been running for a couple years now and I battle calf/Achilles tightness from time to time. Last year I trained and completed my first HM and then continued to run with no pain/tightness. We purchased a treadmill last year and for the last 4-5 months or so, I have been mostly running on the treadmill as opposed to outdoors. Now that the weather is warming, and the days are longer, I am trying to get back outdoors to run. The past 4 runs outside have been nearly excruciating with tightness in my lower legs. It begins within a half mile and the ONLY way to get it to go away is to stop completely, take my weight off the leg and let it release enough to be able to stretch it. I have to stop about every .5-.75 mile for the first 3-4 miles...then it seems to ease up a bit. I stretch properly before a run, I'm even running at a considerably slower pace to try and avoid this, but those things don't help. My feet also fall asleep (and no, my shoes aren't too tight). However, on the treadmill, I can run and run and run with no pain at all. This is just so frustrating. I exercise regularly with variety....so it baffles me as to why I have so much pain and tightness.
The hubs and I really want to participate in a HM next month. I have the cardiovascular endurance to do it. It's the lower leg issue that really has me worried. It's the transition from treadmill to road.
Any advice on this?? Thoughts?? Things I could try in order to help??

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    You experienced no pain on the treadmill?
  • davisrl0
    davisrl0 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    None.
  • handyrunner
    Options
    How many miles on your shoes?
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Some questions:

1. Do you run on thread mill flat or on an incline?

2. How tight are your shoes? Your feet swell after running.

3. How old are your shoes? Your cushion could be shot.

4. What are the temps that you run outside and inside?

5. What do you wear running outside and inside?

6. Do you use a foam roller before and after?

7. What distance do you run.

Answering the above questions may help pinpoint the problem.
  • davisrl0
    Options
    How many miles on your shoes?

Too many. I'm way overdue for new shoes. You think that's the issue?? Running on the treadmill for so long, the tread on my shoes is actually in decent shape but I know I still compress the inner support. I'm probably about 3 months overdue for new shoes, but until I got back outside, I haven't had problems. The road always chews up my shoes...but it hasn't this time since I've been indoors, so I haven't put new shoes at the top of the priority list.
  • handyrunner
    Options
    It could very well be.

I am a large person so I get maybe 250 from my shoes . After that I start getting pains.

If your overdue that would be a good place to start. May NOT be the reason, but can't hurt if you need them anyway
  • davisrl0
    Options
    Some questions:

- Mostly flat. occasionally some incline. I know I need more inclines, but I got in this mindset of increasing speed on the treadmill so I rarely bump up the incline. However, even running flat or downhill outside, my legs hurt.

-not too tight....I make sure of it.

-WAY too old. Bout 3 months past needing new ones....just posted more info about this in a previous response...including my reasoning for having kept my shoes this long.

-temps outside the past few weeks have been in the 50's. One day was 30's. Inside, maybe 60's...treadmill is in a cool basement.

- I dress for whatever the weather is. Not too many layers because Im sweating within the first half mile.

- no foam roller. I've never used one...

-Inside weekdays, between 3-5 miles. That's all I have time for in the mornings. Often a longer treadmill run on the weekend. Maybe 5-7. Outside, usually 4-7. Today we did 9.

• davisrl0
    Options
    It could very well be.

I am a large person so I get maybe 250 from my shoes . After that I start getting pains.

If your overdue that would be a good place to start. May NOT be the reason, but can't hurt if you need them anyway

Thanks. I know I need new shoes. I guess I SHOULD at least start there. I just didn't even think about that as a possibility (til now) since I've been fine on the treadmill in them.
    Sometimes it helps to just talk thru things with people!
  • handyrunner
    Options
    Some questions:

- Mostly flat. occasionally some incline. I know I need more inclines, but I got in this mindset of increasing speed on the treadmill so I rarely bump up the incline. However, even running flat or downhill outside, my legs hurt.

-WAY too old. Bout 3 months past needing new ones....just posted more info about this in a previous response...including my reasoning for having kept my shoes this long.

-temps outside the past few weeks have been in the 50's. One day was 30's. Inside, maybe 60's...treadmill is in a cool basement.

- I dress for whatever the weather is. Not too many layers because Im sweating within the first half mile.

-Inside weekdays, between 3-5 miles. That's all I have time for in the mornings. Often a longer treadmill run on the weekend. Maybe 5-7. Outside, usually 4-7. Today we did 9.

They say the treadmill should be set at a 1.5 incline to simulate road running.
    And when you by new shoes get a foam roller. They are indispensable.
  • davisrl0
    Options
    Some questions:

I did not know this about simulating road running. I just thought a mostly flat treadmill is like the flatter areas on the road. *sigh.....I guess I have to bump it up. ;) ...although I hope to be using the treadmill less and less as the weather gets better.
    I"ve see the foam rollers. Even watched videos on how/when to use them. I've just never purchased one.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Here's an article about the incline "myth"

http://www.runnersworld.com/treadmills/biomechanics-expert-debunks-treadmill-running-myths

And yes, shoes. Depending on your strike, you might be overusing your Achilles. Couple that with old and worn shoes that might not be the best fit for you, you're asking for some tendinitis/inflammation. I had a nasty bout with this in November, and it was new shoes that made it disappear. I had 400mi on my old ones and their heel-to-toe drop probably diminished.
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options

THIS! 1.5-2.0 incline, depending on how well your roads are paved, and a foam roller truly is IT for runners.

It's likely the shoes will alleviate most of your issue, but foam rolling after should seal the deal for you.
    Some strength training will also take the pressure off of the tendons, putting it back on the muscles surrounding the ankle and in the calves.

Good luck!
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I try the new shoes as a starting point!
  • Axlia6502
    Options
    The questions about shoe wear are very relevant because a lot of treadmills have cusioned decks, mine does and it's not a particularly upmarket one, which would hide a lack of cushioning in your shoes. Some believe a rough idea of cushioning can be obtained by pressing down hard with both thumbs in the heel of the shoe and seeing if they sink in. The life time of a shoe is thought to be about 300-500 miles (opinions vary...) for an average runner - lots of sites will tell you about all the other elements of shoes (support, stability etc) that wear too.

The idea of adding an incline to a treadmill is to compensate for the lack of air resistance - opinions vary again but 2-3% is often quoted. Others point out that this is still artificial since it doesn't really account for the various muscular tweeks required for stride/direction changes to avoid puddles, dogs, mime-artists etc :-)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Here's an article about the incline "myth"

http://www.runnersworld.com/treadmills/biomechanics-expert-debunks-treadmill-running-myths

And yes, shoes. Depending on your strike, you might be overusing your Achilles. Couple that with old and worn shoes that might not be the best fit for you, you're asking for some tendinitis/inflammation. I had a nasty bout with this in November, and it was new shoes that made it disappear. I had 400mi on my old ones and their heel-to-toe drop probably diminished.

One thing from the blog that didn't make it into the runnersworld synopsis was "The second difference is that a treadmill offers a certain amount of compliance or springiness, which helps to reduce the peak forces through the joints and other injury sensitive areas of the body."
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Just a note on the difference in mechanic of running on a treadmill versus running one. . not a treadmill.

Treadmill: foot moves under you, you stay in one place
    Road: You move over your foot, you go forward

Treadmill: absorbs a lot of impact
    Road absorbs almost none.

Given those items, running on the road is more difficult because you are also working against gravity more. That is my reason for setting a slight incline on a treadmill. Anyway, rule #2 is if you have been running pain, injury free for a while and something starts to get sore that otherwise wouldn't: NEW SHOES! To mitigate Achilles discomfort obtain the least amount of drop (heel to toe) you can get in the fit (neutral, cushion, stability, motion control) you require. This help keep the tendon elongated more than it otherwise would. More heel is comfy for standing or strolling around, but it's a recipe for tendonitis or bursitis a few miles down the road.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi running friends,
    I've been running for a couple years now and I battle calf/Achilles tightness from time to time.

I concur with others on the shoes.

Here is a drill that has helped me with achilles and lower leg tightness. The best FMS (full movement screen) refer to this guy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYo1gLFv_c

Here are running drills recommended by my marathon schedule, for me they that really strengthened my calves , there are 7:
    Toe walking- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRTgIGRuoEk
    Heel Walking - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC6s2GuRTAM
    Rhythm skip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IepUawhaZ8Q
    Bounding - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGOV4CKtZGA
    High Knees- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z_Ps4OBYh0
    Butt Kicks- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRjl6d9mtCo
    Quick Step - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYZZOKfiWJo
    Then I do 3 strides
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEx09Eb-INE

Good luck
  • davisrl0
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Really. I truly appreciate the feedback and helping me think through some things. I had never EVEN considered the cushioned deck on a treadmill. We have a decent NordicTrack and when I first got it, I thought something was wrong with it because the deck bounced so much upon impact. I suppose this could disguise the lack of support in my shoes.
    I just added up the miles on my shoes. 400!!! eek!!! I had no idea it was that many...I just knew I probably needed new ones a few months ago just based on how long I've had them. I"ve also been through Insanity AND currently doing T25 with these shoes...so probably ZERO support left in them.
    Ok. Going to get new shoes STAT. I've been fitted before for shoes, however, this last pair I decided to fit myself...and I'm not certain they were the correct shoes for me to start with. :/ Will definitely be fitted again this time.

And I'll add a little incline when I use the treadmill. :)
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    As others have suggested, get new shoes. That is going to be one if the easiest fixes.

Years before I met my husband, he had surgery to fix a problem similar to what you are experiencing. He had the pain and tightness in his lower legs and had problems with his feet falling asleep. I don't know all the details, but I think what he had was a type of compartment syndrome. I am not saying that you need surgery, but if shoes and other methods don't work, you may have to look into it.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    It could very well be.

^^ this sounds good. Our bodies are complex and different buts put loads on other different bits. If you sort your shoes out it may stop the problem