How long will it take to lose 60 pounds?

Options
Just curious :) I'm thinking a year. That's my goal. I've lost 14 in the last month and a half since I started. I already feel so much better and my husband tells me everyday that I look great. To him, I looked best when I was about 170. But, I think 150 is a better goal and will put me in the healthy BMI range.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It totally depends - I've been on MFP for over a year - originally planned to be at my goal weight by now.... life kind of got in the way. If you really stick with it, a year totally seems reasonable, but just know that you will plateau at some point, and the less you have to lose, the slower your weight loss should get.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    A year seems reasonable.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My goal is 55 pounds and I was planning on it taking about a year. I figured 1 pound a week was an easily attainable goal since it would still allow me to eat enough food and have an occasional treat. I've lost 8.5 pounds in about 8 weeks.
  • ninjacakegirl
    ninjacakegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    it shouldn't take you a year. In early March I gave up regular soda and it took from then until I joined MFP in early September to lose 15 pounds (I wasn't really trying other than that). Once I joined MFP, I've lost an additional 23lbs, for a total of 38 gone as of a week ago. There are some weeks where I lose 3-4lbs, others where I might lose 1 or 2. Just watch what you do, don't weigh yourself everyday (once a week, on a regular day) and they'll start to melt off. Good luck! :)
  • ashleyinthestars
    ashleyinthestars Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It's doable if you really stick with it! I've lost 65 lbs since January 4th, but it's definitely slowed down because of the holidays.
  • melodymartinez
    Options
    Awesome. The biggest thing I'm focused on right now is getting back into my pre-pregnancy clothes...I weighed about 170 then. Still 25 pounds away from that :) I'm feeling great, being very honest with myself and can count on one hand the times I've gone over by more than a few calories since I started here. Happily on my way, and if it takes a year then so be it, as long as stick with it, I will get there eventually :)
  • nroesler
    Options
    It's easier in the begining, don't be discouraged half way through if you are hitting a plateau, it's so normal!!!! I am a little stuck myself right now. a year sounds reasonable, it's hard work but totally reasonable. if you did nothing (ie had no life/friends/family/job) and lived in the gym and ate perfectly it's probably be sooner but like it's already been said, life gets in the way. good luck in your goals and enjoy the journey
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I set myself a goal of 60 lbs. lost by March 31, 2011. When I started I needed to lose 165 lbs. I know that is at least 2 years. So I enjoy the small victories.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey November 1st of last year. It has taken me a little longer than most to lose 60 pounds because I do weight training. But I wouldn't change that for the world.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I started my journey December 8 2009 and its almost my aniversary...And I've lost 71 pounds. I could have lost more too if I kept exercising but school had gotten in the way. Just stick to it and it'll snowball!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I think a year is probably about perfect. It has taken me 11 months to lose 55 lbs. Everyone is different- I've never been able to lose the full 2lbs. a week (even on the 1200 cals a day); it was more like 5 lbs. a month (so just over a lb. a week on average). It also will depend on your starting weight- the less you have to lose, the harder it is, at least that's what I'm told lol.

ps~ Your baby is beautiful!
  • sheaz85
    sheaz85 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long and hard you work out, and also the amount of calories you are cutting based on your BMR (basal metabolic rate). You can do it..def. within a year!
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've only been on here about as long as you, but my mom has been on for longer. She's lost 60 pounds in the last year. She's older than you, though, so it might have taken longer for that reason, too.
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I lose around 2-3lbs a week. I have lost 90lbs since May. It has taken me 18 or so months to lose 178lbs. You can easily lose 60+ lbs in a year if you stay dedicated and keep working hard.

Good Luck!!
  • Tuplatano
    Tuplatano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had lost 60 LBS before in less than 8 Months. I'm currently planning to lose about 65 LBS in less than 7-8 months.
    It's possible with lot of dedication. I average around 2 LBS per week.