hii i'm new!

Options
hey everyone!
i'm new to this site & so far, i love it!
but i've been wondering, can you still lose weight without running?
to me it seems like thats the only cardio workout that'll help but i cannot stand running

Replies

• simbim03
    Options
    hey everyone!
    i'm new to this site & so far, i love it!
    but i've been wondering, can you still lose weight without running?
    to me it seems like thats the only cardio workout that'll help but i cannot stand running
  • timragan
    timragan Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have had hip and knee replacement in the last 2 1/2 years and have been too big to run for over 15 years. I started 5 months ago with 20 minutes on a stationary bike and now do 30-35 minutes daily on an elliptical trainer which is much more like running. Lots of people swear by swimming (including my orthopedic surgeon) but I have never been a good swimmer to I don't do it.

I now combine my workouts to include strength conditioning.

You can do it without exercise by figuring your BMR (see tools on this site) and tracking your intake. Make sure you take in less than your BMR.

Exercise will make it easier.
  • myfitz4life
    myfitz4life Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I really enjoy aerobics and it melts the fat away and tones. Its great for both men and women. Men kinda feel funny on an aerobics class, but if it is a cardio kickboxing class then they feel a little more masculine.

Good luck and stick with it!! :drinker:

75040.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • OMISALJ
    OMISALJ Posts: 69
    Options
    Feb 22: I weighed 181
    Aug 3: I weigh 153

I lost the weight by just eating healthy, the only exercise i did was if i would go shopping for 3-5 hours, (trying on clothes is a great workout) and just some basic squats. I was only eating 600 calories a day (yes i know it was bad), but i paid for it during my bday week in july, i gained 5 lbs that week, and my hair started falling out more than it should be. I stil have the occasional mcdonalds, but i dont order a big mac any more, its a cheeseburger and i only eat half. I still enjoy my pasta just smaller portions. So in the end for me it was portion control that really helped. Its nice to be able to eat, and be satisfied, not to be feeling like i am going to explode, ahahha. Good Luck
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFPal's:flowerforyou: I have back problems so the most I am capable of is short walks with a cane. It doesn't give you as many calories as someone running, but do what you can it all helps. :happy:
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi & welcome. If you have a treadmill at home you could try walking at an incline. I do most of my workouts in the morning & there are some mornings that I just don't feel like running. On those mornings I walk at an incline starting at about 5% and working my way up to 9 or 10%. It's a great workout that still gets your heart rate up. I did a comparison: 30 min walking at 3.5 mph, uphill for me burns approx. 279 calories versus just walking at 3.5 mph w/no incline burns 177 calories. And like Westfala said, aerobics is a fun way to burn calories & tone at the same time. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • deneuve39
    Options
    Hey!

I used to loathe running too; I would jog for 5 minutes and feel exhausted so I just stuck with the elliptical. A few months ago I decided to suck it up and try and get into running because I wanted to see some actual results (in both body tone and the scale). I started by just walking for 5 minutes (at a slight incline; 4 mph) and then jogging (at 6 or even 5.5 mph) for 3 minutes, then walking for 5, then running for 3 again and gradually increasing the amount of time (and speed) I spent running and decreasing the walking breaks. Working out 4 times a week in about a week and a half I was running for 8 or 9 minutes at a time and only walking for 2 or 3. This also let me be on the treadmill for about 30-40 minutes because I didn't get tired as easily.

I know running really sucks. But it sucks because it's giving you the best workout. The elliptical can be a bit deceiving because it tells you you're burning a ton of calories but the machine is often wildly inaccurate. With running it's a basic 110 (obviously altering a bit based on body weight) per mile, regardless of if you're walking or running. So at the end of the workout I just see how many miles I've run/walked and I know exactly how many calories I've burned.

I still use the elliptical a ton (after a few weeks I really see the difference in my arms) but I try and go on the treadmill every other time I work out. I really encourage you to not give up on running! Feel free to send me a message letting me know how it works out:)