Not losing despite large calorie deficit and exercise

I'm new here and was hoping to get feedback. I am struggling with the last 13 lbs if post pregnancy weight despite all my efforts. I use bodybugg everyday and very honest and accurate about what I consume including portions, it is very much a habit. I run several times a week and attend a class twice a week that is a mix of spinning, weights, tabata, trx. I eat great and exercise very regularly. My bodybugg tells me I have usually close to 1,000 cal deficit daily..... So how come I'm not losing weight or inches. I feel great but the lack of movement is daunting and to be honest just annoying. I don't think I have thyroid issues because I don't gain easily, but I started taking nascent iodine just in case. Any ideas or thoughts? I have been trying to lose for about 3 months (always exercise but increased And changed activity 3 months ago).

Replies

• dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    I am in the same boat you are. I wear the bodybugg as well and log everything (even wine)...I don't know if I need to mix it up or increase my intensity. I lost 55lbs and cannot get the last 15 off. I do struggle with thyroid problems, but even still! I just started weight lifting 4 weeks ago to try and switch it up. Looking forward to seeing if I can jump start the rest that way. Best of luck, wish I had a better answer for ya!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,309 Member
    With only 13 pounds to lose, your calorie deficit of 1,000 calories a day is waaaaaaaaaaay too high. You don't have enough body fat to sustain that high a calorie deficit.

Try eating 200-300 calories less than your device shows you as your daily calorie needs. You should lose about 1/2 pound per week if you do that.

You are being too aggressive.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    are you eating enough calories? if you're not your body might be resisting losing for that reason.

if that isn't the case, maybe your body has gotten used to your routine and you need to switch it up... work out harder or for a longer period (or both)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    With only 13 pounds to lose, your calorie deficit of 1,000 calories a day is waaaaaaaaaaay too high. You don't have enough body fat to sustain that high a calorie deficit.

Try eating 200-300 calories less than your device shows you as your daily calorie needs. You should lose about 1/2 pound per week if you do that.

+1
  • cut sugar out of your diet... do some interval training and make 80% of your food intake protein, drink plenty of water. and walaaa
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

+1

+2
  • katiehartmark
    katiehartmark Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks. This does make sense. I did weight watchers prior to getting pregnant again with only 10 lbs to lose and they really advise sticking straight to the points. I will try this.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Do you use a food scale and can you open your diary? Saying to up your calories without all the fact isn't a good idea. I suspect if you aren't using a food scale or if you aren't consistently logging your calories, you are eating more than you think. With that said, I do also believe that you shouldn't create large deficits, especially with little amounts of weight to lose.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    cut sugar out of your diet... do some interval training and make 80% of your food intake protein, drink plenty of water. and walaaa

lol….sugar has nothing to do with it…

OP is obviously not accurately logging and is not in a deficit...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    If you are not losing, you don't have a "large calorie deficit".

Period, full stop.

First step should be figuring out where your calorie tracking is going wrong.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    With only 13 pounds to lose, your calorie deficit of 1,000 calories a day is waaaaaaaaaaay too high.

The deficit cannot be "too high" if the weight is not coming off.

By definition.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Agree with previous 4 posts. Something is off with your logging OP. Do you use a food scale and measuring cups? Log each and every thing that goes in your mouth?

You should be trying to lose 1/2 lb a week at most, with so little left to lose. If you open your diary, we can help!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    are you eating enough calories? if you're not your body might be resisting losing for that reason.

<snark>Yes, that's why you see so many fat people in photos from concentration camps. They weren't eating enough calories, so they couldn't lose weight.</snark>

Seriously, though: if you're not losing weight, then you're eating exactly as many calories as you need. These links are quite useful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

And the other posts linked in this one are also worth reading:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • goodness. my advice? eat more. your calorie deficit can actually inhibit weight loss.

also, try switching up your work out routine. sounds like you do quite a bit of cardio stuff. try some weigh lifting, some HIIT, shock your body - keep it guessing. you can plateau with workouts just as easily as you can plateau with food, and it sounds as if you may have just done both.

the good news? eating more is easy! just make sure it's HEALTHY calories. plus, new workouts are fun as well. you have an exciting time ahead of you! enjoy it!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    cut sugar out of your diet... do some interval training and make 80% of your food intake protein, drink plenty of water. and walaaa

lol….sugar has nothing to do with it…

OP is obviously not accurately logging and is not in a deficit...
    this, op either isn't using the device correctly or is not logging her food properly, or both, if she's in an energy deficit she WILL lose weight, period, basic laws of thermodynamics. "Starvation" mode is bull****, sugar will also have zero effect on how much you lose, also weight loss isn't linear, the scale could stay the same for 3 weeks then suddenly overnight you could drop 5 lbs