whats a good bodyweight routine?

Options
so i hear bodyweight training is considered strength training, and since my goal is to have a slimmer mid section, strength training seems the way to go. now i dont have equipment nor a membership to a gym, so can someone give me a routine to follow by that would give me my desired results? please and thank you!

Replies

• jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    so i hear bodyweight training is considered strength training, and since my goal is to have a slimmer mid section, strength training seems the way to go. now i dont have equipment nor a membership to a gym, so can someone give me a routine to follow by that would give me my desired results? please and thank you!

Hello!

I am also very fond of body-weight training and would highly recommend it for strengthening and toning. Two that I personally use are the "Gorilla Workout" (iPhone app) and Turbulence Training (I don't spend the money on the program, though).

I will caveat that I DO NOT subscribe or agree to all of Mr. Ballantyne's views (particularly how cardio training is a waste of time), but he does post some good circuit training regimens on his YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cbathletics/videos?shelf_id=1&sort=dd&tag_id=UCeTgCTiLcZzFbxiouBEhVtA.3.home-workout-without-equipment&view=46

The Gorilla Workout is all body-weight exercises and circuits that start from absolute beginner to "hey, let's put this guy in the hurt locker"! Plus, the app has built in instructional videos to demonstrate how to do the exercises properly.

Good luck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    3 good resources are
    Nerd fitness.com
    Convict conditioning
    YAYOG
    shot of adrenaline
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Turbulence Training and Nerd Fitness are great. I find the machines at the gym useless - you can get a really decent workout from bodyweight exercises. Planks and mountain climbers are good for the mid section.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    This gal is pretty awesome!

http://www.zuzkalight.com/
  • mtbchk
    mtbchk Posts: 22
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym

...and I'm in this thread for the other suggestions as well...
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    Turbulence Training and Nerd Fitness are great. I find the machines at the gym useless - you can get a really decent workout from bodyweight exercises. Planks and mountain climbers are good for the mid section.

I agree with you :). The machines at a gym have a good purpose, but depending on each person's fitness goal, the machines are definitely not necessary to build functional strength. I would like to check out Nerd Fitness as well, so thank you for the recommendation!

My personal favorites are front and side planks, cross-body mountain climbers, and the ever so dreaded burpee!
  • DTW21
    DTW21 Posts: 1
    Options
    fitness blender is pretty good too and its free! :-)
  • Phiallis
    Phiallis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Start Bodyweight, in my opinion, is far superior to the routines already listed here, at least as far as strength training is concerned!

It follows a proper strength training protocol based on progressive overload, and has some really good bodyweight progressions.

YAYOG is ok, but just that.
    The other routines mentioned are sub-optimal.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Equipment is still important for body weight exercises. Those pull up bars that hang on door frames are fairly cheap and a great investment. Some perfect push up handles are helpful as well.

Back when I did primarily bodyweight exercises, I'd do circuit training with quad-sets like this:

1. Pull-ups or variation of them (chin ups, etc.)
    2. push-ups or variation of them (feet elevated, hands in a diamond, etc)
    3. Squats/lunges
    4. Leg raises

Then rest, and repeat. The pull ups, push ups, and leg raises will really hit your core hard. If you want you can get one of those ab wheels too.

You can get a great workout that way. However, eventually you might plateau. I find it much easier mentally to do shorter sets with weights then to try and push through huge numbers of push-ups and lunges with my body weight.
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    Equipment is still important for body weight exercises. Those pull up bars that hang on door frames are fairly cheap and a great investment. Some perfect push up handles are helpful as well.

Back when I did primarily bodyweight exercises, I'd do circuit training with quad-sets like this:

1. Pull-ups or variation of them (chin ups, etc.)
    2. push-ups or variation of them (feet elevated, hands in a diamond, etc)
    3. Squats/lunges
    4. Leg raises

Then rest, and repeat. The pull ups, push ups, and leg raises will really hit your core hard. If you want you can get one of those ab wheels too.

You can get a great workout that way. However, eventually you might plateau. I find it much easier mentally to do shorter sets with weights then to try and push through huge numbers of push-ups and lunges with my body weight.

This is a good regimen. If you do not want to spend money on a pull up bar, the monkey bars at the playground work well when I take my daughter to go play..

My two soccer teams really don't care for me much when I put them through the above circuit numbers 2-4 in our warm up and strengthening time :).