Hard time eating all my calories?

Options
I have a really hard time eating all of my calories, it is set at 1400 right now and I do not eat back my exercise calories, but the past few weeks I have been finding it really difficult to eat all of them. I eat anywhere from 800 to 1,100 a day and that is pushing it. I know this sounds like a really ridiculous, but I never really feel hungry. I eat the same thing for breakfast and around the same thing for lunch and dinner, but am still not meeting my goal. Any tips or advice on how to get closer to it?

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? Use measuring cups for liquids? It's always possible you are actually eating more than you think, hence the lack of hunger.

Other than that, switch to full fat options. Full fat milk, yogurt, cottage cheese. Use real butter. Eat peanut butter and avocados. Nuts. Ice cream. You get the idea. Myself, I have a hard time imagining not being hungry after only eating 900 to 1100 calories! Any past EDs?
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I'm sure I also probably to always get portions right. I know for me, stuff like nuts and full fat diary fill me up really fast. If I have a serving of nuts, I usually can't eat much after that. I have actually started to have a couple of cheat food a week. Last night I had a fried chicken breast for 450 calories! I was so proud of my almost goal diary :). I have also started making one batch of baked goods a week. This week we had half of the oil brownies. I usually ate two a day. I can't resist chocolate!
  • Omar_USAF
    Omar_USAF Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem I'm always about 500 calories short..I would say prep your meals ahead of time and tell your self i have to eat all this by the end of each day. Good luck !
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    What did you eat before you started tracking your calories? Maybe you are being too restrictive in your food choices.

As mentioned above, there are plenty of high-calorie, low-volume foods that should help you reach your calorie goal - full-fat dairy/cheese, nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocado, and olive oil are good additions. But there's no reason why everything you eat needs to be "healthy". If it fits into your calories for the day, there's no reason why you can't also include higher calorie foods like pizza and ice cream.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I never really feel hungry. I eat the same thing for breakfast and around the same thing for lunch and dinner, but am still not meeting my goal. Any tips or advice on how to get closer to it?

The answer is eat when you are not hungry. Add more meals into your routine. Have more snacks. Just eat more. It really is that simple. Eat every hour or two regardless of whether you feel hungry. Hunger is often not a reliable indicator of how much food your body needs, especially if you have been undereating for a long time. Also put peanut butter on everything. And have a massive bowl of ice cream every day. Simple really :-D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time eating all of my calories, it is set at 1400 right now and I do not eat back my exercise calories, but the past few weeks I have been finding it really difficult to eat all of them. I eat anywhere from 800 to 1,100 a day and that is pushing it. I know this sounds like a really ridiculous, but I never really feel hungry. I eat the same thing for breakfast and around the same thing for lunch and dinner, but am still not meeting my goal. Any tips or advice on how to get closer to it?
    I always find this statement ironic because basically every one who's trying to lose weight ate more than they needed too. What got most people overweight? Eating calorie dense foods. So look to eat more calorie dense foods. If you're looking at more whole foods, then avocados, peanut butter, nuts, and include healthy oils to your meals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time understanding the "I can't eat enough" threads.

You can't eat 1400 calories in a whole day, meanwhile I have to try to not eat over 2000 calories in a single meal. Just to put it in perspective.

Setting my inability to understand aside, just reach for foods with more calories. Shoot, you could dip everything in olive oil. Grab that jar of peanut butter. Get an order of (gasp!) McDonald's fries. Eat friggin' ice cream. You'll get there.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I always find this statement ironic because basically every one who's trying to lose weight ate more than they needed too. What got most people overweight? Eating calorie dense foods. So look to eat more calorie dense foods. If you're looking at more whole foods, then avocados, peanut butter, nuts, and include healthy oils to your meals.

IDEA Fitness member
    This. I never understand the people who are here trying to loose weight who can't eat calories? How did you get fat then?
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It's hard to fit in your calories now when you start cutting out a lot of fast foods/high carb/high calorie-low nutrition foods. A handful celery sticks will hardly match up calorie-wise with a handful of french fries. I know, I had this problem once in a while. Plus, the more nutrient-dense foods kept me fuller longer, so I don't get as hungry as I used to.

I would say pre-plan your meals about a day or two ahead of time. Add in calorie & nutrient dense foods such as eggs, nut butters, cheeses, higher-fat dairy products, quality natural oils (like olive oil).
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    This. I never understand the people who are here trying to loose weight who can't eat calories? How did you get fat then?

I think it could be that dieting and exercise ignites some people's "fight or flight" response, especially for people who tend to lose, rather than gain weight, when stressed. I think this happens to me. When I first started working out it gave me such an adrenaline rush that I could barely sleep, no matter how tired I was. I had nervous every all day as though I'd had too much coffee. Plus for some people, the idea of tracking everything is a little nerve racking. It was all I thought about when I first started. I felt like I was trying to write a term paper and had all of this info in my head. I eat healthy and those calorie dense whole foods, like full fat dairy, nuts, oil, and avocado really do full me up. Eating more protein seems to help me and my appetite is gradually increasing. Although, I was t exactly overweight to begin with, but I can imagine that this happens to tier people too.
  • sauron92
    Options
    lol come on...then how did you gain weight in the first place?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    lol come on...then how did you gain weight in the first place?

I'm actually jealous of these people (oh, I'm having a hard time eating delicious foods....)

Since I have about a billion food intolerances and am severely limited with what I can actually eat, and really do have a hard time keepng my weight up. My medications make it hard for me me to eat and gain weight. I'm actually trying to gain weight and build some muscle. It's a little hard to pity people who are overweight and dieting complaining about trying to hit their 1,400 calorie goal.
    Shut up and go get some fries people. Eat some ice cream. Put some creamery butter on a fresh hot slice of bread. Enjoy all the delicous food I'd love to eat if I could, because you can eat it, and still be under your damn calorie goals! Sheesh.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Ditto. Here in the UK we have a TV show "Supersize versus Superskinny". I always warm more to the supersize ones who aren't in denial about their choices and the consequences.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking a lot of alcohol calories and found that I don't really eat too much. Yep, I am chubby because I drink. Others who exist on a diet of fast food and decide to replace it with healthier alternatives also get a little shock--they're eating the same volume, but have drastically cut calories. I know sometimes I feel like I'm eating a TON of food especially when I have a heavy exercise day and I'm eating my calories back.

So OP, just keep working it. It takes a while to get the hang of calorie counting. You got some great advice here. And contrary to what someone else said about forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry or having a bowl of ice cream... NO! That's just silly. Don't eat when you're not hungry. Try to get closer to goal the next day.

Chuckling at the people who MUST chime in with their disbelief because they don't get it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking a lot of alcohol calories and found that I don't really eat too much. Yep, I am chubby because I drink. Others who exist on a diet of fast food and decide to replace it with healthier alternatives also get a little shock--they're eating the same volume, but have drastically cut calories. I know sometimes I feel like I'm eating a TON of food especially when I have a heavy exercise day and I'm eating my calories back.

So OP, just keep working it. It takes a while to get the hang of calorie counting. You got some great advice here. And contrary to hat someone else said about forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry or having a bowl of ice cream... NO! That's just silly. Don't eat when you're not hungry. Try to get closer to goal the next day.

Chuckling at the people who MUST chime in with their disbelief because they don't get it.

^ This, for the most part.

I used to drink a lot of my calories and now that I am eating my calories and focusing on protein, I get full pretty quickly. But, I definitely have days when I go over so I figure if I go under a couple of days a week it balances out.

I will say, however, that claiming 800-1,000 calories keeps you SO full is just hard for me to believe. I think this is most likely psychological. Possibly a control thing - you want to stick to your diet so you are convincing yourself you aren't hungry. I'd watch this behavior if I were you....
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    You need to lose over 100 lbs and your caloric intake is only at 1400? You didn't get to be that overweight by not eating. Is there something else you aren't sharing with us?
  • jamoore94
    jamoore94 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions! I think the problem was just a bit of an over correct from eating all the time to really wanting to stay within the limits. I appreciate all the advice a lot, going to try and incorporate more calories dense foods and see how that works. Thanks again everyone.