Plain Yogurt

Options
Is plain yogurt that doesn't expire until December 5th supposed to taste like sour cream? lol Just wondering....

Replies

• seemichellerun
    Options
    Heh, it depends on what type of yogurt. Plain Greek yogurt always looks and taste like sour cream to me.
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    yuck... but I'd think as long as it doesn't taste like sour milk? I don't know... I don't eat yogurt OR use sour cream (except in chip dip). I'll keep looking back to see what you discover!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    It's just plain nonfat yogurt.
  • Indimenticabile1
    Options
    For sure double check if it's Greek ... that stuff has a really odd taste compared to regular yogurt.

And yeah, plain yogurt tastes a little strange too, IMO.
  • SazzieBunny
    Options
    ya it tastes kinda sour :P well greek stuff anyway...better off getting vanilla flavoured fat free yougurt...thats probably what you thought it would be like
  • alwardt
    alwardt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I often put a dollop of plain Greek yogurt on my baked potato - reminds me of sour cream! For a more yogurt like experience, add a little sweetener - maple syrup or honey for the real deal, or artificial if you are so inclined. Mix in some semi-thawed blueberries and/or a couple tablespoons of granola and you are good to go. After eating it this way for awhile, you won't want to go back to the other kid stuff.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt is mostly unpalatable to people who are not used to it, since we expect yogurt to be at least somewhat sweet. I eat plain yogurt (1%) every day mixed in with my oatmeal in the morning or with fruit and granola as a snack. You just have to get used to the taste. After a few weeks I started to really like it, and now I actually prefer it.

Greek yogurt has an entirely different taste and yes, often tastes just like sour cream. But you would know if it was greek yogurt because you would have spent twice the $$ on it :wink:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Has the container been open for a while, or was it still sealed before you noticed the smell? I have not had a problem with sealed containers of yogurt being good long after their dates (like a couple of months). If they are open, they tend to get "funny" faster.

If you aren't comfortable with it, don't eat it. It can't have cost more than a few bucks, and it sounds like it isn't overly appealing so no loss there...
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    yeah, it does/will. I use it as a sour cream substitute. Yogurt is normally good beyond the date stamped. ;)
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    ya it tastes kinda sour :P well greek stuff anyway...better off getting vanilla flavoured fat free yougurt...thats probably what you thought it would be like

Well, I'm putting my own fruit in it anyway, so it doesn't matter really. I just didn't know if that was normal, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't spoiled, so I didn't make myself sick.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It can, depending on brand.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    Plain yogurt is mostly unpalatable to people who are not used to it, since we expect yogurt to be at least somewhat sweet. I eat plain yogurt (1%) every day mixed in with my oatmeal in the morning or with fruit and granola as a snack. You just have to get used to the taste. After a few weeks I started to really like it, and now I actually prefer it.

Greek yogurt has an entirely different taste and yes, often tastes just like sour cream. But you would know if it was greek yogurt because you would have spent twice the $$ on it :wink:

Thank you! That was very helpful! This is my first time experimenting with plain yogurt. I'm kind of excited now that I know my yogurt isn't spoiled. lol
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    If anything it should just taste tart. With fruit and granola it is refreshing and delicious :) Just make sure you eat it really, really cold. I find that makes it a million times better :) Unless mixing with oatmeal, of course... hehe
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    I'm cringing through it right now. I know it's good for me, but I didn't put a sweet enough fruit in it. Note to self, blueberries and strawberries are a better fruit for plain yogurt. DO NOT USE ORANGES!!!!I also didn't have any granola, so I used cheerios.
  • donbogi
    donbogi Posts: 175
    Options
    I'm cringing through it right now. I know it's good for me, but I didn't put a sweet enough fruit in it. Note to self, blueberries and strawberries are a better fruit for plain yogurt. DO NOT USE ORANGES!!!!I also didn't have any granola, so I used cheerios.

Plain yogurt is very healthy for you! Don't cringe - just smile!
  • Pitterpatter
    Pitterpatter Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    lol!!! you sound like me!!!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    it tastes like REAL sour cream..i actually perfer it to reg sour cream in some things....if you want that thick texture then greek is the way to go

chipotle sour cream is alot like plain reg yogurt
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    it tastes like REAL sour cream..i actually perfer it to reg sour cream in some things....if you want that thick texture then greek is the way to go

chipotle sour cream is alot like plain reg yogurt

Only thing about Greek here is twice the price. No thanks! lol
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options

Plain yogurt is very healthy for you! Don't cringe - just smile!

Hey! Having it without anything in it is a preferred taste. I'm not that kind of person. lol I need peaches and friggin cantelope in this *kitten*. haha